ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Freeview HDTV?

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
I'm in the market for a new TV for my room, somewhere around 28-32"

Not really bothered about LCD/LED as LED seems a bit of a con to me anyway (Backlit rather than a true LED screen) but anyway, i've just found out about this Freeview HD.

Anyone got it, is it any good? I have Sky downstairs but not paying £10 for multiroom so this sounds like a good option?

If anyone has any recommendations for a TV around £300 then post it up too.

Cheers.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
So probably not worth worrying about Freeview HD then? I can always buy a box if it becomes big.

Which TVs have the best UI on them? We have a f**king hannspree one in the dining and it is complete s**t, the menu is appalling and half the time it says no data available when you look whats on. The samsung in the front room is ok, I think I used an LG one in a hotel room once that had a really nice UI?

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Why?

I have freeview HD on mine. Although I never use it when I've looked at it it seems as good as the HD channels on my Tivo.

Worth paying the extra for imo.

Sorry my post wasnt helpful i thought the OP meant HD channels. Freeview as a whole is actually good. I mean the only good HD channel is BBC.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a HD Freeview box, before you buy anything double check you can get Freeview HD in your area. As said above you only get 4 channels that are in 'HD', BBC1 HD, ITV1, Channel 4 HD and BBC HD. The difference is very noticeable and I'm really pleased with mine, more so that its got a 500GB hard drive that I can series record on.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
There's no point double checking if you can get it or not.

Everyone will get it sooner or later once analogue has gone. Might as well future proof it... You also get 5HD!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
freeview hd will take over eventually, however, i think the format will change somewhere along the lines to allow more hd channels, so it might not work in the future anyway!

SQ5
Why don't you just run a coax cable from the RF OUT 2 from the Sky box?

You'll get Sky upstairs then and with a Sky Eye be able to control the box too. HD channels will be better over the analogue than SD through the Sky too (assuming you have Sky HD).

Also buy a TV with Freeview HD in, but I believe you'll struggle with a HD tuner in TV's below 30", I may be wrong on that though.

Comparing my Freeview HD to my mate's Sky HD, (imo) mine is better.

1080p over Freeview too, which makes a difference to Sky.

Bumder With A Buffer
There was another discussion on here about the Sky HD boxes AMD the picture not being very good on sd, yet was fine on freeview

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Comparing my Freeview HD to my mate's Sky HD, (imo) mine is better.

1080p over Freeview too, which makes a difference to Sky.

Freeview HD is a technically superior standard. DVB-T2 allows for more options.

Sky, uses DVB-S and not S2 which makes it suck a bit

Freeview hd is 1080i. Maybe the tv upscales it?

BBC definitely transmits 1080p freeview, they started last year around the same time as Wimbledon 3D.

I'm watching BIG now, and that is showing as 1080i, but Coast on BBC is in 1080p.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

You'll get Sky upstairs then and with a Sky Eye be able to control the box too. HD channels will be better over the analogue than SD through the Sky too (assuming you have Sky HD).

Also buy a TV with Freeview HD in, but I believe you'll struggle with a HD tuner in TV's below 30", I may be wrong on that though.

Picture quality will be crap!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Freeview HD is a technically superior standard. DVB-T2 allows for more options.

Sky, uses DVB-S and not S2 which makes it suck a bit

Last time I checked, the TP's on 28.2e were using S2 - they havent used S for about a year!!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

No they wont, the bandwidth on the RF signal is to narrow to show any difference (provided your getting a good symbol rate and as high quality level signal with low bit error).