ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Found out why my clutch was slipping.....

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Finally found the time and motivation to get the gearbox out of the track toy today. 2 reasons - one to find out why my clutch had suddenly started slipping & also because I need to get my gripper diff fitted to the box & get it overhauled at the same time!

I decided the best thing to do was to remove everything - engine & box out the bottom still attached to the subframe - also I wasnt sure if it would fit out the top.

And what a b*tch it was to do aswell!! Managed it in 3 hours on my tod with alot of lessons learnt incase i ever have to do it again!! I think the most awkward part was undoing the steering linkage nut that sits inside the big rubber cover....GRRRRRR!

....and my clutch was slipping because...

240320081027Medium.jpg

...the plate appears to have separated company with the friction material! LOL!

Couple of amusing photos of the job...

240320081022Medium.jpg

240320081023Medium.jpg

240320081024Medium.jpg

240320081025Medium.jpg

Also going to do cambelt & aux belt whilst its out because its a piece of cake whilst I've got full access to it - I'd be mad not to especially as its just hit 50000k & its 5 years old!!

....and one last picture - the main reason why I decided a track toy was the only option for the car after I'd bought it...

240320081026Medium.jpg

Cheers

Lee

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
WelshArab - was that a serious request? lol

Russ182 - look at the rather rippled/creased chassis leg!!

Last edited:
could be mate, why what u do? sorry not bein rude just dont know.

im trying to get a clutch from a mate in ren parts then find someone to fit it for labour n beer!

got a few options lined up but hmmmm kinda stuck!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
could be mate, why what u do? sorry not bein rude just dont know.

im trying to get a clutch from a mate in ren parts then find someone to fit it for labour n beer!

got a few options lined up but hmmmm kinda stuck!

Well cars are just a serious hobby to me - I've got my own IT Consultancy company as my main job! LOL!

Must admit I've never done a Megane Sport clutch, cant see it being that difficult to be honest - its just the time it takes. At the moment, I'll be honest I havent the time or the space to do anyone elses. I need to get my 2 poster ramp sorted as well before I look at doing things like that - it would mean that I wouldnt have to resort to lifting the front end of the car up like i did!

ohhh bugger! lol

i dont see it bein to hard either for someone that knows the game, likeyourself. just time aint it. summit renault love to charge ALOT for!

ValverInBits
wheres your AC? was that a problem?

reckon it's easier out the bottom then? I've only pulled my valver engine out the top before

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Point8 - AC system has been removed - dont need it on track & all thats left is the pump which I want to get rid of whilst its out anyway!

WelshArab - try and find out if you can do the megan clutch with the engine in situ or not & we'll go from there.