ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Floor standing speaker's, music and 5.1

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
My old Gale main speakers have finally given up (well one of them has) I've just bought a pair of Cambridge audio double cube speakers for the rear and a Onkyo reciver to replace the old Yamaha.

Now the wife doesn't want the new speakers to sit on stands like the Gales did and would like a floor standing speaker, at the moment the Dail Zensor-5 are the ones a swaying towards but is there any others that I should be considering?

Help and advice always appreciated.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
i had the zensor 5’s in my last house but my wife asked me to change to standed smaller speakers.

I really regret getting rid of them because they were f**king EPIC!

I still have Dali as they make fantastic speakers, but you can’t beat floor standers. The sound is so much better.

So yeah, get those!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
i had the zensor 5’s in my last house but my wife asked me to change to standed smaller speakers.

I really regret getting rid of them because they were f**king EPIC!

I still have Dali as they make fantastic speakers, but you can’t beat floor standers. The sound is so much better.

So yeah, get those!
Thanks bud, yeah that's the feed back I'm getting that floor standing speaker's are far better than a book shelf style speaker on stand's.
I'm also looking at the Dali center speaker, again to replace my old Gale unit.

I'll take a drive over to Richersounds on Saturday and have a look. ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Tannoy XT 6F's have dropped to £699, bit more than the Dali's mind but worth a test in store?

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Budget my good man? What is it ?

I have some b&W CM10S2 and they are subline. The look great ( get past the wife test ) and audiophile me loves the sound

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Downloads/Product/Brochure/CM-SeriesBrochure_Web_010714_EN.pdf

bowers-wilkins-b-w-cm10-s2-schwarz-glaenzend-3-wege-bassreflex-stueckpreis-uvp-war-180000.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Tannoy XT 6F's have dropped to £699, bit more than the Dali's mind but worth a test in store?
Thanks bud, I was looking at the Dali Zensor 5's but I'm also now looking at the Zensor 7 and the Dali Opticon 6 (which are quite a big jump but I'd like to hear if they are worth it)
I've got the demo room booked for tomorrow morning at my local Richersounds, after I called them today and spoke to the sales guy he is going to add another make into the mix.

Budget my good man? What is it ?

I have some b&W CM10S2 and they are subline. The look great ( get past the wife test ) and audiophile me loves the sound

Hi bud, well the original ones I posted are £550 but after looking more into it I fancy the Zensor 7 which is £720, I'm also going to listen to the Opticon 6 but they are quite a big jump in price @ £1200, I just want to see if the extra £500 is really justified.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the exposed tweeter, I bet they sound amazing though.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks bud, I was looking at the Dali Zensor 5's but I'm also now looking at the Zensor 7 and the Dali Opticon 6 (which are quite a big jump but I'd like to hear if they are worth it)
I've got the demo room booked for tomorrow morning at my local Richersounds, after I called them today and spoke to the sales guy he is going to add another make into the mix.

Hi bud, well the original ones I posted are £550 but after looking more into it I fancy the Zensor 7 which is £720, I'm also going to listen to the Opticon 6 but they are quite a big jump in price @ £1200, I just want to see if the extra £500 is really justified.

I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the exposed tweeter, I bet they sound amazing though.
If you are anywhere near me you are welcome to an audition

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hi Andy,

Very kind offer so thank you but I'm probably a bit far from you here in Essex. I went to Richer sounds on Saturday and had my demo, in the end I went for the Monitor Audio Sliver 500 floor standing and the center speaker. I was able to take the center speaker away with me but I'm waiting for the floor standing speaker's to be delivered today.
Ended up spending far more than I originally wanted to but I did get quite a big discount.

Screenshot_20180828-082713.png
Screenshot_20180828-082424.png

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Ha ha just a touch of budget creep then??

I have a pair of Bronze BX2's, they're really good.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
My old Gale main speakers have finally given up (well one of them has) I've just bought a pair of Cambridge audio double cube speakers for the rear and a Onkyo reciver to replace the old Yamaha.

Now the wife doesn't want the new speakers to sit on stands like the Gales did and would like a floor standing speaker, at the moment the Dail Zensor-5 are the ones a swaying towards but is there any others that I should be considering?

Help and advice always appreciated.

Are you an audiophile? Are you after true quality or simply a decent pair of floor standers?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Ha ha just a touch of budget creep then??

I have a pair of Bronze BX2's, they're really good.
Haha, yes mate just a bit. I got the 500 set up tonight, wow so far they are amazing.

I've listened to Stevie wonder and Whitney Houston, unfortunately now we have the TV on. Only played them at low volume and obviously still got to be run in.

Are you an audiophile? Are you after true quality or simply a decent pair of floor standers?
I'm a bit of a perfectionist, they need to sound great, look good and be well made.
I am into music and always have been from a very young age, I have a wide range of taste from opera with a glass of red wine to 90's drum and bass.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Haha, yes mate just a bit. I got the 500 set up tonight, wow so far they are amazing.

I've listened to Stevie wonder and Whitney Houston, unfortunately now we have the TV on. Only played them at low volume and obviously still got to be run in.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, they need to sound great, look good and be well made.
I am into music and always have been from a very young age, I have a wide range of taste from opera with a glass of red wine to 90's drum and bass.

Give Q Acoustic's 3050i a go ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You won't be disappointed. I have Monitor Audio Rx6s and they sound superb.
Very nice bud, can't wait for the weekend so I can spend some time listening to them.

Just need to buy a decent sub next to replace my old Yamaha.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
How about this one?

MONITOR AUDIO SILVER W12 - £499 (RRP £1100)

Couple of small scratches to the top of the case and they've knocked 600 quid off the price for you!
Richersounds had that in the demo room mate, I did briefly talk to the guy about sub's and he said that the Dali subs where great, he said something he sold a Monitor Audio speaker package to a guy and he brought the sub back and replaced it with a Dali.

For now I'll have to wait, Christmas is coming up and my son still wants a gaming pc. I have been watching a few s/hand subs on eBay though. ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273427388513

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173442362946

Very tempted by this but ideally it needs to be black.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163198564003

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Cracking speakers mate. I'm still rocking my mission m74s and trusty rel quake

205 gti
You know how everything you seem find out about in home audio you've never heard of before you get into it? No advertising or anything the products sell on the reviews and word of mouth. Take a look into SVS for subwoofers. I have a pb2000 but you'll need an understanding Mrs as they're not kid size.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Cracking speakers mate. I'm still rocking my mission m74s and trusty rel quake
Very nice mate, I bet it sounds amazing with that sub.

My old Yamaha sounds very boxxy and distorts if played loud.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You know how everything you seem find out about in home audio you've never heard of before you get into it? No advertising or anything the products sell on the reviews and word of mouth. Take a look into SVS for subwoofers. I have a pb2000 but you'll need an understanding Mrs as they're not kid size.
Wow what a sub mate, I've just looked at the PB4000...lol
My neighbours and wife would hate me. ??

pb-4000-hero-black-ash.jpg

205 gti
I have the pb2000 I don't think the Mrs would let me have anything bigger. I keep saying I think we need 2 for symmetry. It's not happened yet.
Think they all come with a 5 year no questions asked warranty to. Anytime another audiophile or bass head comes over and plays it f***ing loud to see how good it is I'm always astonished by it.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have the pb2000 I don't think the Mrs would let me have anything bigger. I keep saying I think we need 2 for symmetry. It's not happened yet.
Think they all come with a 5 year no questions asked warranty to. Anytime another audiophile or bass head comes over and plays it f***ing loud to see how good it is I'm always astonished by it.
Sounds like I need one, I am very very tempted but the one I posted on eBay, that way I get a great brand at a reasonable price. Looks like it's been very well looked after and maybe if I hide it behind the TV stand it won't matter about the colour. ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You know how everything you seem find out about in home audio you've never heard of before you get into it? No advertising or anything the products sell on the reviews

Half of reviews are the adverts.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Very nice mate, I bet it sounds amazing with that sub.

My old Yamaha sounds very boxxy and distorts if played loud.

Yes mate it still sounds fantastic after all these years. Though if I had more money I would overhaul my full system.

205 gti
I think with most things it's integration, finding a sub that will go low, like 20hz comfortably upto the crossover of the front floor standers. A lot of this is down to personal preference. But the more range you can cover the better. I never really listen quietly and use my setup for film, gaming and music a lot so spent a bit more than I had planned. I'm happy ATM but after hearing a friend's Atmos I'm slightly corrupted.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes mate it still sounds fantastic after all these years. Though if I had more money I would overhaul my full system.

As I said my low budget system was 15 years old so I thought I'd treat myself, yes my speakers are over kill but I like them lot's. I'm now looking at a decent used CD player, didn't realize how expensive they are. Is there a better way to play music, Spotify?

I think with most things it's integration, finding a sub that will go low, like 20hz comfortably upto the crossover of the front floor standers. A lot of this is down to personal preference. But the more range you can cover the better. I never really listen quietly and use my setup for film, gaming and music a lot so spent a bit more than I had planned. I'm happy ATM but after hearing a friend's Atmos I'm slightly corrupted.
Is the sub that's on eBay any good bud?

I've got the Onkyo TX-NR676E with the Cambridge audio Minx min22 double cube speakers at the rears becauseit seems fine so far but I failed to do my research before I bought it.
I really liked a Yamaha RXA2070 receiver that had a alloy front with alloy knobs, very nice and well made bit of kit, didn't think I needed something so high spec at the time and wasn't planning on buying the speakers I have.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
Nothing wrong with treating yourself mate ?Oh they can be pricey CD players. I've got the arcam cd72 which I've had over 10 years. I'm sure it cost me £450 back then. But the sound is awesome. I don't use spotify. I have iTunes so connect it through my receiver

205 gti
To be fair I use Deezer over Bluetooth with my phone. Should be good with Spotify/Deezer etc with the new hd Bluetooth stuff aptx etc. I used to have an Arcam cd player when I had a stereo setup but went for an avr and sold off the amps and player.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yes, I have the top one. Its incredible!

Have you looked at avforums in their classified section?
It looks bonkers, maybe to much for my small front room.
No I haven't mate, that's a good shout I'll have a look over the weekend. ?

The bk monolith is a good shout. If I didn't get such a good deal on the svs I'd have had the bk monolith.
Cheers for your input mate, most helpful. ??