ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Flashing engine light....

Clio 172 Cup
Driving home yesterday (52 plate 172 cup) the engine warning light flashed about 5 times in a row, and the engine stuttered. Was driving passed a garage who (as they were closing up I suspect) suggested something had got wet and if the light had gone off again then all was fine. Drove rest of the way home (about 8 miles) with no problems, though kept the revs low through out.
There was a noticeable almost bad eggs smell after I'd parked the car up in the garage.
Looked it over this morning and nothing visibly noticeable (no lose connections, oil looks fine, no water dropped out anywhere, still got a lambda sensor on the exhaust).
Did the trip computer diagnostics mode and it put up a t code (injectors which I cleared).
As it was low on fuel I drove a 3 mile round trip to fill up, seeing if new fuel would remove the smell. Car was fine and pulling fine.
Possibly lolled into a false sense of security, car did another 2 mile round trip (we live just outside of town) - engine didn't sound right, then car felt sluggish and engine warning light flashed on again. Light went out but car was sluggish (both to rev and in speed, though I didn't push either).
Did the diagnostic mode again and no codes shown - still left the car at my local garage for them to diagnose. Don't want to drive it any more at the moment, think I've pushed it enough!
I've never done the diagnostic mode before so the original t code could be old (car had new coil pack early last year).
What do people think? I can't work out whether I've had two different faults or two symptoms of a single fault.
Will update when I have a resolution, but in the meantime... Place your bets! I was thinking lambda sensor failure but the sluggish lumpy engine now has me worried it's something more...

Titanium 182 FF
Probably unburnt fuel entering the cat causing the sulphurous smell. That's most likely to be a coil or injector fault.

Clio 172 Cup
Just hope that if the first problem was caused by an injector fault and lots of fuel getting into the cat, then the second problem isn't due to fuel in the cat damaging it... Fingers crossed for Monday

2004 182
Flashing MIL is normally used for misfire catalyst damage. It's possible that you didn't get a fault code reported as it isn't yet confirmed (depends on of you read pending or confirmed fault codes). As mrc300 said, probably coil / plug or injector.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Mine did similar and it was a failed Injector 4. I wouldn't keep driving it around as if one cylinder is being starved of fuel you are likely to be creating bigger problems.

Have you anyone local who can pop around to plug / play injectors to see if one is a problem?

Clio 172 Cup
Thanks all. Left car at local garage to sort on Monday - they'll be able to run proper diagnostics and change injectors. Hopefully nothing else! Will let you know the outcome....

In my old 1.2 I had the flashing EML light then it went into limp mode. Ended up being the coilpack (coilpack and ht leads are all one unit on them).

It could be coilpack, leads, injectors or a knackered spark plug. Best way to diagnose is to swap the injectors around.

Clio 172 Cup
Injector number 4.…. So Cub even had the specifics right!

Let's hope we pass through those nervous few days after when you're waiting to see if anything else goes, or any new noises ;-)

Thanks all

Clio 172 Cup
Did think about swapping all four (as they're 12 years old after all, and if ones gone...) But unfortunately funds don't allow. Might get a fault reader instead so I'm prepared to diagnose and replace if it happens again.

Clio 172 Cup
Over a year late on the reply.... but injector #4 was replaced, haven't had any of the others go yet.

Hoping that resurrecting the thread doesn't change that :)