ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Front Fog Lights

Right, basically I have a Mk2 Ph2 Expression and I want to fit fog lights, I've searched the forum but not had any definite answers to my queries, my questions are these:

1. What parts are needed?
2. Well Renault fit them for me?
3. Am I better off sourcing the parts by myself then asking Renault to fit them?

Cheers for any help!! :)

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
another question is, how u gonna wire them up?
Are the cables in the loom as std even though they dont get fitted?

Lots of Alfas
Renault will charge hundreds, from memory you need the fog lights, the wiring loom (some Clios have it already), and a new light stalk with fog light switch on it.

The car already has the standard loom that sits behind the fog lights, but knowing renault theres more to it then I can see.

Lots of Alfas
Im sure its just a case of buying the 2 lights, fitting/connecting them and fitting a new light switch stalk. The wiring should be there in your steering column. Im not 100% on this Ive only done it on a mk2ph1.

Da

Less
It's not always a case of just buying the lights believe me. It's a renault lottery as usual! Basically as you've said you will have the loom behind the bumper, but this does not mean that the loom exists on the dashboard. The front end of the car comes standard pre-equipped for fogs, it's only at trim level they decided whether the dash should support this. As I found out mine had the wiring behind the bumper, but no space in the fuse board, no relay position and no extra cable to the headlight stalk. It had to be wired from scratch!

Yeh I read about your experience Daz, I was trawling the forum all the way back to 2003! Did renault do all the wiring and electronics for you?

Lots of Alfas
Alternatively you could fit the fog lights, earth them, wire them with a fuse to the battery with a relay going to the sidelights then buy a hella remote switch and stick the switch somewhere on your dash. The switches are remotecontrol so no need for wires going everywhere, I think halfords sell them for about £20.

Da

Less
I fitted the fogs mate, connected them to the loom and fitted the stalk, but then when it came to the fuse/relay I could find nothing. I took the car into renault and they told me what I posted above. In the end I paid them £40 to wire them to the dash, stalk and connect the fogs to the new loom. The fog light kit (comes with everything) from renault is £150~ but I got mine from mike@Rentech many moons ago for ~£130.

Everything on mine looks 100% OE, even the light on the dash illuminates when they're lit because, as you've say above, I wanted to keep the resale value of the car and keep it OE.

Cheers for that, just wanted a definitive answer, £130 plus the 40 for Labour is a bit steep, I take it if I buy the parts off eBay I can still take it to Renault and ask them to fit the relays/fuses.

Da

Less
Yeah I would have thought so, all depends on the dealer I guess. Also, I doubt very much that you would be able to source the fog light loom on eBay if your car isn't fitted with one already. This comes in the kit and makes it a relatively simple job.

Have you checked your fuse box for a space for the front fog light fuse? If it hasn't got an available slot then this is a good indicator as to whether you car is pre-equipped or not :)

Not yet, I hadn't thought it would of been that hard a job, but then it is Renault. I have seen fog lights for sale with the connector loom to the fogs, is this what your refering to? What exactly am I looking for in the fusebox?

Da

Less
Just have a look inside the fuse box cover and the front fogs should be listed as other items are. Then locate this slot in the rows of fuses and check to see whether it's simply a blank way or it's a way that looks like it simply needs a fuse putting in. Also, iirc there maybe somewhere else for the realy to go, but I can't remember 100%.

Cheers mate, you've been loads of help!! Just hope that my fusebox has the right elements an if not that I have a sympathetic dealer :D

Corsa D
Hey daz, I have just recenlty bought the fog light kit eg wiring and control stick etc etc, for the mk2ph1 like you said, Went the box arrived even with instuctions its seems little more complex than I thought, oops, but as you said you got renault to fit it will the seriouly charge only about £40? I was assuming there charge alot higher than that?

Thanks

Da

Less
As I said above mate, I fitted all the actual parts myself (lights, stalk etc) all I needed renault to do was the wiring, so It took them about half an hour tops. It's a dash off job to get to the instrument panel tho so not for the faint hearted!