ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting Eibach Springs

focus st3
hi all.
on thursday i'm having Pro Street Springs fitted, the guy at the garage was stroking his beard and hmmm'ing and arrrrr'ing saying its gonna be a sod to do.

Is it really - or is he just making me suffer cos I'm a girl?:S

hi all.
on thursday i'm having Pro Street Springs fitted, the guy at the garage was stroking his beard and hmmm'ing and arrrrr'ing saying its gonna be a sod to do.

Is it really - or is he just making me suffer cos I'm a girl?:S

telling you bull s**t so he can give you a rediculous bill at the end of it... if you dont mind me asking how much have you been told its going 2 cost??

275 Trophy
He's taking the piss, completely. Please don't let him charge you on time, and then take ages. Really should only be an hour or so for a garage with all the gear. Took me a couple of hours on my own, having never have done it before, with basic tools. Had the rears done in 10 or 15 minutes, but fronts took a bit longer. Don't get ripped off Neesey.

focus st3
Its a friend of a friend who has a garage, I dont know exactly a price, depends on how long it will take to do them. but he is cheaper on labour charges. And I do kind of trust him, but I am on guard when it comes to men and garages, and me being 'just' a woman.

focus st3
OMG i'm gonna stand there and watch him, and crack the whip!!!!! I want it back by tea time!!!!

275 Trophy
b****cks to being 'just' a woman; you're 'just' a car owner, and he's ripping you off by the sounds of it. Some others will be along shortly who will promiss to help you if you post some pics of 'just' your body, but they're about as trustworthy as your garage 'friend'.

Last edited:
i done my rears m self in about half an hour.. then got dan at 519 to do the fronts...
you shouldnt really wanna pay more than say 70

b****cks to being 'just' a woman; you're 'just' a car owner, and he's ripping you off by the sounds of it. Some others will be along shortly who will promiss to help you if you post some pics of 'just' your body, but they're about as trustworthy as your garage 'friend'.

lol yeah plenty will help for pics.../ im sure therl be some 1 on here close 2 you whol give you a hand or even do it for some beer money

Stripped yozza'd cup
Please don't get a garage to do it.... There's no reason at all for him to say that 'it's gonna be a sod to do' because it's just not. A real easy job.
Chuck someone local to you £20, I'm sure there'll be a few people that'll help you out.

I'd give you a hand if I wasn't so far away.

focus st3
I've printed out the guide and will hand it to him with my keys, and a firm "I'll be back at just after lunch" :evil:
I can't not take it to him now I've booked it in :rolleyes: incase I ever need him again.

he shouldnt even need a guide... its simple enough tell him youl be back in about an hour and a half as realistically he should either have it done or just finishing off

275 Trophy
I've printed out the guide and will hand it to him with my keys, and a firm "I'll be back at just after lunch" :evil:
I can't not take it to him now I've booked it in :rolleyes: incase I ever need him again.

Changing springs will be bread and butter to a proper mechanic. He'll throw you printoff in the bin and do it his own way. I'm trying desperatley not to sound condsending or sexist, but I wouldn't take my car to a garage like this for a number of reasons. Jesus, I'd do it for free if the other half wouldn't go mental Neesey!

focus st3
I hate being a girl - I want to do it myself (well not really, I'd like to watch you guys show me how I would do it, if I was a bloke) and Im good with the kettle ;) and bottle opener!
Im sure I was a bloke in a past life, Cos i'm not the most girly girl, I just dont have manly strength.

I had my sportlines done a few week back by my mate who's a mechanic, and it's very easy if I had a ramp I would of done it myself, he didn't even need to use a tensioner to fit the springs. I can send you his details if you're in Leeds?

275 Trophy
I hate being a girl - I want to do it myself (well not really, I'd like to watch you guys show me how I would do it, if I was a bloke) and Im good with the kettle ;) and bottle opener!
Im sure I was a bloke in a past life, Cos i'm not the most girly girl, I just dont have manly strength.

Steady on! This is a car forum, not a dating site. Seriously, if a mechanic rubs his beard at this, then he's not really a mechanic but a cowboy. Avoid. :)

focus st3
I feel better now, thought it was going to be a nightmare of a job, but you all make it sound straight forward. Im ready for the mechanic now. Bring it on.!

275 Trophy
I feel better now, thought it was going to be a nightmare of a job, but you all make it sound straight forward. Im ready for the mechanic now. Bring it on.!

LOL good for you! It's not even remotley like a nightmare job. It's car mechanic 101. Let him do the job if you will, but let it be know that it shouldn't take long and if so, please don't atempt it!!!!!

focus st3
LOL good for you! It's not even remotley like a nightmare job. It's car mechanic 101. Let him do the job if you will, but let it be know that it shouldn't take long and if so, please don't atempt it!!!!!

thank you - I am armed with this quote, and will sleep better tonight with this knowledge :approve: and not let it worry my little head any more :D

Thank you guys :cool:

The only pain in the ass bit is getting the top mount nuts undone. Give it a go yourself. I'd never tried anything like that before I did mine. Was pretty easy tbh. I just followed the Fubar guide and enlisted the help of a male friend. All was done in a couple of hours.

CLIO Iceberg 172
did mine on sat. set of sport lines... apart from a few other issues that set me back the actual fitting of the springs took about 2 hrs. just remember to get hold of some spring clamps! doh!

monaco 172

+2 . i borrowed some just incase but soon realised they werent needed.

ive never done springs before and apart from having a nightmare getting the top mount nut off it took me about an hour. Would have been alot less if my mate with the air gun came sooner to buz the nuts off lol.

172DD Cup
what's the trick to doing it without spring compressors...? i have images of firing bit of suspension across the road.

275 Trophy
IIRC the damper is long enough to allow the spring to almost fully expand with the nut in place on the front. If you unbolt the rear damper, the beam drops down enough for the spring to fall out more or less.

Yup no need for compressors. Rear the tension of the spring is pretty much nil once the car is off the ground anyway and on the front by the time you've undone the nut which holds the lower half of the top mount on the strut all the tension is gone too. I hasten to add this is for RS models, if you've got a 1.2 etc get the spring compressors for the front.

Clio 197
fair enough, i shall go forth sans compressors. cheers all

I did it on mine a few weeks back - easy peasy

Thing is i did it a few months back on my mates car and must have wasted so much time dicking around with the spring compressors on the strut before undoing the top nut & didnt realise they were not needed :(

Clio RS 2.0 16v
Clio friends,

I have a 172 RS with standard shocks, is it needed to remove the front bump-stop (or cut away half) if I want to put Eibach Sportline on ?

Thanks for help!