ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting cup brake set up, is it worth it?

The Beardo

ClioSport Club Member
  Kangoo 182
So I have an early ph2 172 with the speed sensor in gearbox, I have all the one lines from a 172 cup and was thinking of fitting them. Question is, I'm planning on selling the car April next year and wondering if it's worth swapping the brake system over or just selling the cup system on?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Aside from not having the rear compensator and abs - what's the difference?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Am I the only one that likes my ABS?
On my Ph1 it's unobtrusive and only comes in when you really need it.
I'm running RC6 pads and 888's thou so this will probably give way more mechanical stopping power than a standard car.
Rich

Am I the only one that likes my ABS?
On my Ph1 it's unobtrusive and only comes in when you really need it.
I'm running RC6 pads and 888's thou so this will probably give way more mechanical stopping power than a standard car.
Rich
It doesn't have enough clamping force and if you can get it to kick in it spits you to one side. I run 888s and CL5+ and there's not even a hint of it kicking in on track. And reliability, Jesus wept. So far I've had 2 pumps and a wheel speed sensor, and who's bright idea was it to change it to 50/50 bias when it throws a fit and stops working.

The Beardo

ClioSport Club Member
  Kangoo 182
I'm guessing from the replies on here, it would be worth fitting it, even tho I'm planning on selling it ?

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
It doesn't have enough clamping force and if you can get it to kick in it spits you to one side. I run 888s and CL5+ and there's not even a hint of it kicking in on track. And reliability, Jesus wept. So far I've had 2 pumps and a wheel speed sensor, and who's bright idea was it to change it to 50/50 bias when it throws a fit and stops working.

I seem to be the exception to the rule never had an issue with either pulling to one side or reliability (touch wood) in over 2 seasons on the hills.
And i'm seriously hard on the brakes:
628E1785-3130-4B4F-BA99-91484FEC06A0_zpsfajm3812.jpg

Rich

I seem to be the exception to the rule never had an issue with either pulling to one side or reliability (touch wood) in over 2 seasons on the hills.
And i'm seriously hard on the brakes:
628E1785-3130-4B4F-BA99-91484FEC06A0_zpsfajm3812.jpg

Rich
Awesome picture. Metal on metal there, did your pads delaminate? Maybe the pump, master and sensors are different on a ph1? Dunno just find it gash.

Op if selling totally pointless as it will be a PITA to do then refit.

Sonic Boom

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Sport Ph1
Awesome picture. Metal on metal there, did your pads delaminate? Maybe the pump, master and sensors are different on a ph1? Dunno just find it gash.

No the RC6's are so savage it just chews up the discs up I go through 2 to 3 pair of discs in a season.

Rich

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
I also have a PH1 and have had zero issues with the ABS other than a sensor but on a 16year old car its to be expected. My car is mainly a track car and i'am very harsh on the brakes, the ABS works quite well on track.

To answer the OP's question if you are selling the car its a pointless exercise i would say, sell it on an save yourself the time an hassle