ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

First Time Detail

BMW 323i Coupe
I want to start detailing my car and having it look half as good as some of the cars on here. I've made a list of the things I think I need, and found out how much it will cost.

I want to know if anyone thinks I'm buying something I don't need, or missing out on something.

It's worth noting that I can't use a hosepipe, so all washing will be from a bucket, so it's going to be a long job!

I've got the prices from Halfords on their 3 for 2 offer.

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit - £23.99
Autoglym Polished Car Wash Kit (Shampoo and Resin Polish) - £12.99
Autoglym Aqua Wax - £12.99
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection - £9.99
Microfibre Chamois - £5.99
Soft Foam Applicator Packs - £4.49
Car Polishing Mitt - £3.49
Car Wash Pad - £2.99
Car Wash Bucket - £2.99

Total : £59.44 with a total saving of £20.47.

It does seem like quite a lot of money, but I figure that after I've done it once, I will only need to repurchase a few of the items on the list, and then it should only be costing me about £25 each time.

Should I go for it?

Only thing I would say is replace the aqua wax with a proper wax. Ive heard good things about the aqua wax for quick results, but I doubt it'll beat a proper wax :)

Have a look at AG HD Wax, halfords sell that.

BMW 323i Coupe
Cheers.

I've had a look and the HD wax is a bit too much for me, so I'll have a look when I get there and see what I find.

BMW 323i Coupe
Went to Halfords and picked up this lot, spent about an hour on the car and started polishing, when it started raining.

You'll need a couple of extra buckets! One for rinsing the mitt, and another for throwing fresh water over the car! :)

Good start though!

Also try and get a decent drying towel. Chamios aren't great, and can cause quite bad swirl marks

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Should of got a waffle weave drying towel. They are amazing, one of my best buys tbh. Oh and I'd add some AG Tyre Shine and some AG bumper care to the list also, both very good products IMO.

BMW 323i Coupe
Should of got a waffle weave drying towel. They are amazing, one of my best buys tbh. Oh and I'd add some AG Tyre Shine and some AG bumper care to the list also, both very good products IMO.

Already have a bottle of the tyre shine in my boot, ta though.

R27, Deep Black
Its a start buddy! Everytime you go into halfrauds you will always see something you like and get it, or everytime you have a few quid in change you need to get shot of and you have a spare ten minutes, always pop online or halfords and get a new product and your collection will grow! ;)

BMW 323i Coupe
Went back outside and gave the car a polish, gloss and did a bit of a wax but it started to rain again.

Haven't touched the wheels because I don't have any clean materials, plus they'll only get dirty when I go down the missus' house anyway.

22072009975.jpg

22072009976.jpg

22072009979.jpg

22072009980.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5240/22072009980.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
AG bumper car next on the list. Tidy up those black plastic bits...

Also, get down the £1 shop, and pick up several microfibres. You can NEVER have too many.

Also, go down to Sainsburys and pick up some cheap dishclothes. They come in massively handy for doing arches, engine bay and applying bumper care, etc.

Megane R26
Little birdy told me the CYC Miracle Dryers aren't from Chemical Guys, hence why mine wasn't much cop!

The SmartWax one which Matt sells is the same as the CG one though, but cheaper ;)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
clean bodywork always looks shite against dull tyres. Get some gel out sunny jim

BMW 323i Coupe
Cheers for all of the suggestions guys.

clean bodywork always looks s**te against dull tyres. Get some gel out sunny jim

Wasn't able to do it, used all of my cleaning clothes etc, and then it started to rain.

Quick question, when I ran my hand over my paintwork today there were a lot of bumps and lumps, obviously from the cleaning materials, anyone have any idea what I did wrong to cause this?

Titanium 182
Lovely colour, looks nice too :)

I have personally been "experimenting" and I find that AG bumper care works much better than most tyre blackener's and last longer too !

Just squirt a little onto a microfibre and rub it in :)

BMW 323i Coupe
Lovely colour, looks nice too :)

I have personally been "experimenting" and I find that AG bumper care works much better than most tyre blackener's and last longer too !

Just squirt a little onto a microfibre and rub it in :)

Thank you. I shall give that a go the next time I have a chance.

Bizarre - how big are these bumps?

Really small, as if I'd flicked paint on it and left it to dry, thats what they were like.

I wasn't sure if I hadn't left the polish etc long enough before buffing it.