ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finding a leak

Clio 172
Had wet carpets one minute, next minute

IMG_20160127_214047211_zps6eujhx39.jpg

Clio 172
Jesus, dedication to the cause. Found it?

Nope. Only joking yeah, bloody sunroof pouring in. It was one of them looking up the bulk head for ages, had the scuttle off ect then looked up at the roof and thought, that looks wet lol

Clio 172
I pulled my interior out as I'm replacing it, but wanted capets and foam up anyway to dry off, while doing that found a previous owner had drilled holes in the floor to drain the water!!!!!! What a clever guy. Took the whole roof lining down so I can dry the lining out and get as much water out the roof as possible. It's a bad leak, and I always do what I clas as a proper job, not knocking what you did, just I'm a little ocd with everything I do.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Previous owner drilled holes in the floor to drain the water... :persevere: What a prat! Glad you've went about it the proper way :up:

Clio 172
Previous owner drilled holes in the floor to drain the water... :persevere: What a prat! Glad you've went about it the proper way :up:

Cheers mate, always like to think I'm doing it the best I can. But after today I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered lol. I had some double sided seal in my garage so I used that, hasn't worked :( so going to use a weather proof sealant. Didn't want to bond it, but at least I know it won't leak. So another day not getting the new interior in.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Cheers mate, always like to think I'm doing it the best I can. But after today I'm beginning to wish I hadn't bothered lol. I had some double sided seal in my garage so I used that, hasn't worked :( so going to use a weather proof sealant. Didn't want to bond it, but at least I know it won't leak. So another day not getting the new interior in.
In my non sport to sort it's sunroof I bought new a new rubber seal and had the mechanic apply silicone sealant to seal the bugger! Worked a treat!

Clio 172
I
I used a rubber draught excluder tape that worked so well. Then a bit of silicon in every gap I could find!
I went to b&q, wickes and another small hard ware store looking for something like that but found nothing suitable. It's really pissed me off as I hate doing anything twice.

Megane 225 f1
Get the proper seal kit from renault. Now you have gone that far it will be easy to get the sunroof cassette out and fit the seals. Believe it or not the seals are foam and sit between the roof and the frame of the sunroof. I did one about 3 years ago. Still dry now.

Get the proper seal kit from renault. Now you have gone that far it will be easy to get the sunroof cassette out and fit the seals. Believe it or not the seals are foam and sit between the roof and the frame of the sunroof. I did one about 3 years ago. Still dry now.
Not many want to pay £60 for a seal when there are far cheaper alternatives available.

Clio 172
The reason I didn't want to go genuine is they are proven to fail and leak. When I scraped the original seal off it did seem poor. As @fairm010 said its also a lot of money. If it was a good seal and I had faith in it I'd pay it, but I have no faith in the seal. Glad its worked for you though