ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Finally test drove a 197...

Civic Type R
Right, just got back from testing the 197, after driving a type r and r26... First impressions are very very good, got to test it in some country roads. I am completely shocked at how well they handle, it truly felt like it was on rails, a little sluggish under 5k, but felt amazing in the power band, loved the gearbox. Really really shocked how people can say these are slower than a 182, to me if anything the 197 seemed quicker!! Looks like I am staying with the clio!!

Looking at an ultra red one tommorow.

Wayne

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
They are much more refined that a 1*2 but certainly not quicker....

S

Civic Type R
Its not as raw as the 182, more refined ride, no not harsh .. well this one wasn't .... quite sluggish out of power band..

Golf 7R
I loved my 197, probably more than my 200, looking back. In terms of speed and overall drive, I think you do lose some sense of fun that the MK2's give you, but it's certainly the better place to be, and about the same pace, give or take.

Fiesta ST-3
Right, just got back from testing the 197, after driving a type r and r26... First impressions are very very good, got to test it in some country roads. I am completely shocked at how well they handle, it truly felt like it was on rails, a little sluggish under 5k, but felt amazing in the power band, loved the gearbox. Really really shocked how people can say these are slower than a 182, to me if anything the 197 seemed quicker!! Looks like I am staying with the clio!!

Looking at an ultra red one tommorow.

Wayne

Try driving one round town. They are horrid.

Civic Type R
It felt quicker to me, I have been driving a Nissan note for the a couple of weeks now though. The gearbox problem is seriously putting me off now I have had time to think about it, Seems there an awful lot of bad ones.

I maybe booking a holiday and driving around in a shitter for a bit while I decide. Really struggling to find anything better than the 182 ( considering how cheap they are now).... I can't have another though.. can I lol

H

HickiN

I have the 197 Cup and the ride is 'ok' ish... i have been told in the back seats it feels harsh (i don't sit in the back so i don't care ;))

would highly recommend it haven driven a Type R a couple of times...

It is a little sluggish in the lower revs.... picks up a slight bit of power around 2.5k revs and then the power kicks in properly at 5k revs.... keep it in that 5k band and above then its amazing!! great fun on the country roads of Aberdeen/Scotland!

highly recommended car (Honestly no bias at all ;))

HickiN

Mark 1 Clio V6
PHP:
197 (with cup or R27) is in my opnion the best out of all Renaultsport Clio's (excluding the vee obviously).

It has the perfect balance between looks, power, driveability, quality.

Had a racing blue cup for a while and it's a car I miss.

Audi A5
i think they are very nice to drive imo but as said the mpg to power ratio just is not good enough. that's why i opted for a r26 in the end.

hopfully over the next couple year's their be alot more 197 with 225 lump's in them, that would make an epic car...

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought a 197 on sat, loved it, felt solid and just as quick as my ph 1. Bring on thursday!

Mark 1 Clio V6
You not driven a Trophy then i take it?

In my opinion the 197 looks far better than any other non vee Clio, which to me (hence why I stated it was my opinion) makes it better than the Trophy.
It's also a step in the right direction quality wise from the 182 platform.
All round package better than the Trophy......in my opinion.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ah, i forgot, as a V6 owner you are probably more interested in looks rather than how quickly it will hurtle down a back road ;)

They do look nice, but to drive, imho they are backwards step from a fun/interaction perspective.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
MPG is shocking compared to the 1*2 I would understand if it was quicker, or would do something spectacular

This is my first problem with them, otherwise I'd consider owning one now they're getting cheaper.

I think it'd have to lose 2-300kgs to be justifiable at the pumps but that's highly unlikely !

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm used to mid-high 20s in the BurbleBus, I hated my Ph2 172 for the low 30s that returned. I'm sure it was broken... It's slow as f**k and still returns naff economy. Do not want !

Fiesta ST-3
I'm used to mid-high 20s in the BurbleBus, I hated my Ph2 172 for the low 30s that returned. I'm sure it was broken... It's slow as f**k and still returns naff economy. Do not want !

See my Ph2 172 would see 36mpg for every day driving round town. The 197... more like 23mpg :(

Mark 1 Clio V6
Ah, i forgot, as a V6 owner you are probably more interested in looks rather than how quickly it will hurtle down a back road ;)

They do look nice, but to drive, imho they are backwards step from a fun/interaction perspective.

Nah, I have a Megane 250 with cup if I want to concentrate on driving.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Trouble is CS is stuck in like a 2003 twilight zone. Its MK2 or nothing on here.

Its time to move on guys

Civic Type R
23mpg ... Surely that's not right? Can't really compare the r26 with a 197, different drive with one being boosted. Enjoyed the ep3 type R although its difficult to justify the higher outlay and more mpg over the 182. Plus it's ageing badly I think. FN2 is well ... Very very poor, the ride is terrible, doesn't feel raw enough, can't see out of back window, and beeps all the time..

I was impressed by the 197, although it wasn't driven back to back with my 182. Gearbox is a major concern though.. To the point where I will probably avoid buying one ..

Best car I have driven is the trophy in all fairness.. Maybe I should scratch that itch.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its not right. I get 30 combined, was getting 37 ish out of a 172 Cup with the same drives/use.

Fiesta ST-3
23mpg ... Surely that's not right? Can't really compare the r26 with a 197, different drive with one being boosted. Enjoyed the ep3 type R although its difficult to justify the higher outlay and more mpg over the 182. Plus it's ageing badly I think. FN2 is well ... Very very poor, the ride is terrible, doesn't feel raw enough, can't see out of back window, and beeps all the time..

I was impressed by the 197, although it wasn't driven back to back with my 182. Gearbox is a major concern though.. To the point where I will probably avoid buying one ..

Best car I have driven is the trophy in all fairness.. Maybe I should scratch that itch.

It's just had a full Renault service and I'm not lying.

Civic Type R
Well 23mpg is enough to put me off altogether, never mind the synchro issues.

Jeez, is there anything that rivals the 182, that doesn't cost the earth to run??? Struggling to find anything ...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
IF its a town car, yes, they are poor.

I use mine on a 40 mile round commute of A/B roads. Currently showing 31mpg. Not the end of the world imo!

Civic Type R
Yep , would be mainly town, I only really achieved about 28 in the 182, just been reading u can subtract 10 from that for 197...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well 23mpg is enough to put me off altogether, never mind the synchro issues.

Jeez, is there anything that rivals the 182, that doesn't cost the earth to run??? Struggling to find anything ...

Corsa VXR? Whats the budget?

RS197 R27
My missus does a mixed commute of 3 miles of town driving, then 17 or so A-roads which she doesn't hang about on, she sees about 32mpg on average, so not too bad considering, as for the 1*2 vs. 197, we've got an R27, and my old boss had a 172, which I've driven in both stock forms, and fully polybushed/KTR top mounts, vibratechnics mounts etc, and even as stock the 172 was more buzzy, sharper, and in short doses probably more fun, however, for a true multi purpose car, the 197 wins hands down...