ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear last night - 182 Trophy V's MCS Gen 2, V's Skoda Fabia VRS - £5000 hot hatch bargains.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
There` s no such thing as a cheap 172/182 any longer.

There's been a few decent 182's up recently, one down on the South Coast wanted for nothing, circa £1800.
This one here needs a couple of small things but is still quite a deal at £1900.
This one at Rentech looks pretty much bob on for £2500 considering it's literally just had the belts done

Seen a few around a grand mark, needing a fair bit of work though obviously.

Land Rover
Yep those all look alright, but nothing like mine.
In fact l have viewed one of those!!
You have to view a car to see what it’s really like.
They all look mint in the photos, l looked at one in Liverpool that was only £1300 and it had the belts done etc but l could see it had been repaired at the front.

Another was £6,000 but it needed over £1,000 spending and another at a dealer for £4,000 had ripples in the rear wings (??) despite being described as “mint” and it had all the belts a new clutch nice interior etc
Another had no history and one had NEVER had a timing belt change
One pulled to the left....and one had rust inside the lower rear wings.

Most on here don't think to themselves, I can buy a car that has been loved & has proper history for x amount. They'd rather see a lower price, then expect to get £500 off 'because the belts need doing' and spend money on it getting it right.

I stand by what I said wrote the other day. To get top money you've got to sell it to people. Your advert on here is pretty poor.
Only two pics, none of the interior.
No mention of mileage.
And from memory, no mention of the number of owners.
Tells us to google up the reg & and look at threads on here (yeah right!)
Hasn't put it on PH.
It's a 182 cup so naturally worth less than a 'FF'

What else would put me off, you've spent a ton of money on it (basically half it's value) and are selling it right away. And you want top money.

Land Rover
It’s not a Cup it’s an ff
I never said it was a Cup

I will post more pictures but what is wrong with looking at the last owners project thread on the car? That’s what l did when l bought it.

I asked £4,000 ono
Nobody has considered or mentioned the number plate which is worth around £500. So if someone was to offer say £3800 and then sell the plate they’ve got the car for just over £3,000
Is that top money for this car? Have you been to see it?

My check list when looking at these was as follows

How much MOT?
When was it last serviced?
When were the belts done, and by who?
Is the idle steady? (Uneven or lumpy idle could be timing out)
Are the rear arches starting to go, or inside the rear wings at the bottom?
What’s the body like, any dents? (ignore minor door dents which can be fixed but a lot of them shows a lack of care)
Ancillaries does it need tyres, brakes, exhaust, wheel refurb?
How’s the clutch, has it been changed?
What’s the interior like, steering wheel, plastics, bolster, drivers floor area of carpet?
Underside, rear subframe, rear of sills, how rusty?
Any oil leaks?
Aircon, does it work? Is it serviceable?

The car will be on PH in due course but l wanted to see if anybody on here was interested first.
Like l said, l often don’t keep cars long, it’s just the way that l am. I’ve had twelve cars since 2006 including the Lotus that l kept three years and the BMW four. So that’s ten cars in six years
All were minters, and most l didn’t lose any money on.

I bought a Clio 1.2 as a temporary car while we were waiting for a VW Up GTi to be delivered.
I ended up selling the 1.2 on after a few weeks and buying the 182 because l liked the look of it, and TBH spent more money on it than l intended to.

Last edited:
  Land Rover
My missus initially refused to drive it, but relented after going to work on the bus a couple of times

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I've certainly been there and done that with spending a few quid and then selling. Partly due to trying to keep alive the love lol.

Car looks good. Get some very good detailed photos as many as say ph allow and write a great worded advert and it will sell. On here it's expensive unless it's your own car.

Glwts

It’s not a Cup it’s an ff
I never said it was a Cup

I will post more pictures but what is wrong with looking at the last owners project thread on the car? That’s what l did when l bought it.

I asked £4,000 ono
Nobody has considered or mentioned the number plate which is worth around £500. So if someone was to offer say £3800 and then sell the plate they’ve got the car for just over £3,000
Is that top money for this car? Have you been to see it?

My check list when looking at these was as follows

How much MOT?
When was it last serviced?
When were the belts done, and by who?
Is the idle steady? (Uneven or lumpy idle could be timing out)
Are the rear arches starting to go, or inside the rear wings at the bottom?
What’s the body like, any dents? (ignore minor door dents which can be fixed but a lot of them shows a lack of care)
Ancillaries does it need tyres, brakes, exhaust, wheel refurb?
How’s the clutch, has it been changed?
What’s the interior like, steering wheel, plastics, bolster, drivers floor area of carpet?
Underside, rear subframe, rear of sills, how rusty?
Any oil leaks?
Aircon, does it work? Is it serviceable?

The car will be on PH in due course but l wanted to see if anybody on here was interested first.
Like l said, l often don’t keep cars long, it’s just the way that l am. I’ve had twelve cars since 2006 including the Lotus that l kept three years and the BMW four. So that’s ten cars in six years
All were minters, and most l didn’t lose any money on.

I bought a Clio 1.2 as a temporary car while we were waiting for a VW Up GTi to be delivered.
I ended up selling the 1.2 on after a few weeks and buying the 182 because l liked the look of it, and TBH spent more money on it than l intended to.
It has a CUP plate, plus washer jet blanks.. but no pics of the interior. So I naturally thought it was a 182 cup.

As for all the questions you've put - put the answers in the advert. The ad is serious bad and lacking any real info that people want to see.
People on here rarely pay good / top money for cars, they just don't.

Re, the number plate being worth £500 - maybe to the right person. But in reality it's not. A bloke a few weeks ago had one & basically couldn't give it away. If you want £500 for it, get it off the car & sell it separately. No one (apart from you it seems) is going to factor it in when they come to view it. I certainly wouldn't.

But what do I know ? I'm not the person moaning that his car won't sell.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I thought RB was a Cup only colour as well? or maybe it's just a really common colour for Cup cars?? Not sure I've seen a FF Clio in RB (no that I've paid much attention)

Also as soon as someone says "the number plate is worth £XYZ" my initial thoughts are: "Well, lets start by knocking XYZ off the price, because I don't care"
Also the interior blue plastics look mega teenager and kinda tacky, and it's super-pedantic but you've taken the Cup wheels off the car so it's not got the complete Cup pack.

Little things that are very picky but at the same time need to be correct to get top money.

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
Is it even a ageless plate?
I mean, at a push they have some value, in quasi-disguising the age of a vehicle.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Does it matter tho? I mean it's not an ageless car, people know it's an early 2000's Clio, you'd never mistake it for a 2018 vehicle.
(I don't fully understand private plates to begin with tho)

Listerine & Poledo
Does it matter tho? I mean it's not an ageless car, people know it's an early 2000's Clio, you'd never mistake it for a 2018 vehicle.
(I don't fully understand private plates to begin with tho)
Oh totally, I get that.
It's almost just a cosmetic thing, really.

If 2 cars were sat, side by side, for sale, in all other ways identical but 1 had an ageless plate and was £500 more, I'd take the one with the normal plate.

Of course, no 2 used cars are the same...especially when previous owners have....'improved' them

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I thought RB was a Cup only colour as well? or maybe it's just a really common colour for Cup cars?? Not sure I've seen a FF Clio in RB (no that I've paid much attention)

Also as soon as someone says "the number plate is worth £XYZ" my initial thoughts are: "Well, lets start by knocking XYZ off the price, because I don't care"
Also the interior blue plastics look mega teenager and kinda tacky, and it's super-pedantic but you've taken the Cup wheels off the car so it's not got the complete Cup pack.

Little things that are very picky but at the same time need to be correct to get top money.

182 cup was RB or inferno

FF can be had in both. Mine was a FF

Land Rover
It’s not a Cup.

A previous owner fitted all the Cup parts including suspension and washer blanks etc but it’s an FF.
It’s got climate control for a start. I paid £2700 for the car with a known gearbox issue that was going to cost £800-1000 to sort, after looking at numerous cars and finding none that were what l wanted. This one was the best that l found.

Nobody had a go at the seller on here about £2800 being too expensive.

So, l figured that as l had done a load of work on it l assumed it would be worth more.

I’ve removed the references to the value of the plate.

Land Rover
I can’t believe it....all l am trying to do is sell my car and l’m just getting bollocked

I will re write the advert later. What is a fair price then, £3500?

Listerine & Poledo
Put whatever price you like on it.

The market will soon dictate what happens from there on in.

Land Rover
So what should l put in the advert then.

Should l include a list of everything that’s been done to it.
No reference to the number plate.
And the obvious like 12 months MOT mileage service history.
What pictures do people want to see? I included front rear interior and engine bay. What else, the wheels, the underside?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I can’t believe it....all l am trying to do is sell my car and l’m just getting bollocked

Not really, cos from your description the car is not far off concourse standard.

You can ask 4 grand for a concourse car, but obviously it'd want the stock wheels and trim back on it.

What pictures do people want to see? I included front rear interior and engine bay. What else, the wheels, the underside?

If the underside is as clean as you say then definitely get a good picture.

Land Rover
What wheels are these then? Are they Cup wheels?

Would it be worth more with standard 182 wheels?

These have brand new tyres, good ones too not budget branded

Land Rover
Thanks for the feedback and advice. l have re worded the advert with new pictures.
Is that any better? It will be a template for the PH one if the car doesn’t sell on here.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I don't think 4k is too much to the right person. The only way you'll find out is stick it on PH/Autotrader/Ebay and see if you get any serious interest.

Listerine & Poledo
Haha brilliant, my advert for 'rare, jdm wheels' below

Still no fecker wants them...need to rethink the advert, maybe 'super rare' ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/332798822974

You forgot add a list of things that they aren't

RARErareRARE JDM Wheels. notNISMO,notTRD, fits SUPRA. LEXUS

Remember your customer base

Examples
Nice
Well done

Another trick is to mention how the wheels are "only test fitted, not used, was going to use them but have gone a different direction now"

Which, for those less initiated in the world of used parts for Mazdas, actually means.

"I've smashed up the car I was going to put them on, I now need to cover my £850 excess"

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How about sticking in a picture of a completely different wheel to help sell your knackered ones??

Looks nice yea? Billy bargain at £400 notes

s-l1600.jpg

Except this is what you're actually buying

s-l1600.jpg

and they've been smashed up

s-l1600.jpg

Listerine & Poledo
Put some tyres on the wheels.

Then put in the advert that the tyres aren't included.

Instant up-tick in interest.

Land Rover
I was just reading this old thread with me whingeing about my car not selling, it’s really funny looking back on it now, and a bit embarrassing tbh.

The car eventually sold on PH for £3,600. The guy who bought it was really nice, a real 182 enthusiast, but soon decided to move the car on.
He sold it to another guy who spent around £800 on it but then decided it wasn’t for him either.
It then sold l believe to a girl from lreland again for a similar price.
I guess the car has gone now, l hope the new owner is happy with it, the car was great fun to drive and l still miss it.
(By my calculations that makes her the 17th owner!)
Oh and l bought a VW Up GTi, lovely little car but my missus didn’t get on with it so she now has....a 2005 Land Rover Defender

Which she absolutely loves !!

Land Rover
Actually the girl might be owner no. 18.
I think it had 14 owners before me.

The 3 previous owners (to me) are on here, all of whom did a ton of work on the car.

l spent around £3,000 on it while l had it, although l got some money back from sale of parts that l had accumulated.

Last edited: