ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fibre Broadbrand

Afternoon all,

Want to get fibre broadband - what's good and what's not?

I don't want to spend a fortune, the cheaper the better, but don't want some Mickey Mouse provider.

What's Talk Talk like? Horrendous CS I've heard...

RS Clio 182
Im looking for a deal atm...im thinking BT as you get the sports package free? (Although im going to have to pay 4 quid a month extra for it in HD)

Works out at 32 quid a month...which is only a few quid more that im paying for Plusnet atm.

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
plusnet throttle p2p, so the real question is, do you use torrents?

Clio Trophy
dont want micky mouse, and then asks what talk talk is like, lamo

i am on Sky, mainly as they do not throttle the line

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I was on TalkTalk for 18 months, they were absolutely fine I just wanted a new contract so moved to BT and got free Sport and a new YouView box.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Is Virgin Media in your area? If so then that's the only choice really. Blows all other providers out of the water in terms of speed. 200mb download? Yes please.

I've just upgraded to sky fibre unlimited. 38mbps up from 6mbps!! Awesome.

lol - what's it like back in the dark ages?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I've used talk talk for last 3 years, didn't work once for about 5 days, apart from that been fine.

Don't know why people always moan about customer service, it's not like you phone them up every week.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
As said, Virgin is the best offering subject to price, 160MB down, 10MB up. Apparently 300MB is coming.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
It's pretty much just a commodity now to be honest, I've been with PN for over a decade and have been very happy with them, but I'm moving to VM at the end of the month because I got a "mates rates" deal that was too good to pass up from a member on here.

Really it's luck of the draw as to whether you get a reliable connection or not. With fibre (not cable) broadband if you have problems then more likely than not regardless of who you pay the bill to you'll be in the loving arms of BT as they provide the infrastructure. Then it's just a total crap shoot as to whether you get a competent engineer with the time to sort it out, someone who's very rushed and doesn't do a proper job, or a total cretin :(

Thanks for the replies so far. It really does seem like a bit of a minefield.

I'll keep an eye on what deals providers are doing. Virgin seems to be more expensive, but if it is the best of the bunch, then I'll happily opt for it.

Listerine & Poledo
They're all the same, other than BT or Virgin
Pick whichever has the right cost for you. All those which aren't the above will rely on at least some of the equipment the above control.
Whether it be Talktalk, Sky, PLusnet, Fuel or whoever. The same service will be coming out of your socket, just a different letterhead on the bills.
Aside from Virgin, which is a completely different prospect and is actually REAL fibre broadband,

It's basically an argument not too dissimilar to "who's is the best electric, British Gas or N:power?"

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Just to add a bit more, I was on Sky broadband @ 8MB down circa 1MB up before moving to VM. Sky was up 100% of the time, never ever, ever went down. However, they throttled the connection and it was difficult when working from home (I'm quite a heavy home user connecting to numerous remote servers performing downloads & uploads etc etc). VM I would say is up 99% of the time, but I have had a couple of occasions where the connection has dropped which can be frustrating (especially in the middle of the working day!) but you simply can't beat the performance. I'd like to move back to Sky for TV, but IIRC the best they can offer broadband wise if I was to move the entire package is 40MB which is never going to happen.

SQ5
They're all the same, other than BT or Virgin
Pick whichever has the right cost for you. All those which aren't the above will rely on at least some of the equipment the above control.
Whether it be Talktalk, Sky, PLusnet, Fuel or whoever. The same service will be coming out of your socket, just a different letterhead on the bills.
Aside from Virgin, which is a completely different prospect and is actually REAL fibre broadband,

It's basically an argument not too dissimilar to "who's is the best electric, British Gas or N:power?"

That's not 100% true, Sky do have there own LLU in a lot of cabinets now.

Edit: turns out talk talk do too.

Last edited:
  RS Clio 182
Just got this message after trying to set up a BT broadband and i also want BT Sport with it :

''Unfortunately we're not able to offer you BT Sport on BT TV. The good news is you can still enjoy BT Sport on the app and online player.''

Anyone know why this is?? First of all i couldnt get it in HD as Infinity isnt available where iam and now i cant get it at all?

SQ5
BT sport comes via the aerial like all other channels so that's very strange as internet speed isn't an issue

SQ5
Fibre is needed for HD apparently - but i cant even get the normal version - strange. In fact why would HD need fibre when you get HD through an aerial..

Fibre is not needed for BT Sport HD but I believe you pay extra for HD.

EXACTLY, all BT sport to set top boxes is sent via the aerial

RS Clio 182
Fibre is not needed for BT Sport HD but I believe you pay extra for HD.

EXACTLY, all BT sport to set top boxes is sent via the aerial
But when you select the package you can only choose the HD option if youve picked fibre. Weird,il try it again.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think you need Fibre to be able to get BT Sport.
You need an Internet connection to get sport though. Mine drops out a lot because I'm using the wifi extenders so I usually end up watching it on my laptop instead. I think it's mainly due to the bt box being absolute dog turd.
You need it for HD channels too.
Time to bin off my bt tv contract once it's run its 12 months and I'll just stream the sports to the tv via the app.

SQ5
How very strange, looks like it changed a year ago to IPTV?! Considering not many people have a bandwidth big enough to stream decent sports that's a bit s**t isn't it?!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It's terrible. Their hardware is absolutely awful too.
I series linked this is England on 4hd. Turns out none of them recorded properly due to the box dropping in and out of Internet. Any hd channel now is unwatchable on the bt box without it dropping at some point.
I can watch anything on hd on my tv absolutely fine though which I assume is coming through the aerial

SQ5
Every BT vision box has been terrible, never got better, so slow and clunky.

People think Sky is expensive but if you had the base package and then use that for BT Sport it works out well and you get a reliable service. And a huge amount of On Demand stuff.

Sorted. Phone, TV and 200MB Fibre Broadband from Virgin for a ridiculously good price.

Contacted Prong as suggested who sorted me out.

RS Clio 182
I couldnt get fibre where i have moved to - they havnt installed it yet.

I got normal BT broadband - but it seems really slow. Does anyone know why Netflix streams fine but BBC IPlayer just buffers all the time?? Also Youtube videos buffer badly.

I tried putting a LAN wire straight into my PS4 from the hub for IPlayer - but it just buffers all the time....