ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FFS one thing onto the next... Locking wheel bolt

OK! So I got some McGuard Locking Wheel bolts for xmas...

Went to put them on, did the first one... This happened.

IMAG0300.jpg

The key bent, so now I have one locking wheel bolt on my car, which I cannot get off, and I can't put the others on :mad:

What can I do?!

I heard all locks are unique :mad:

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Should have a barcode number on the packet and you can contact them and theyll send you another key.
What did you torque them uptoo?

182 Cup
Did you use a torque wrench?

There should be some sort of reference number to be able to.contact Mcguard for a replacement key. They're not entirely unique afaik. Might be wrong though!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL

Either you didnt have that seated correctly, or they're made of cheese.

Send them back and get a refund.

Does any body steal wheels any more ?! I'm pretty sure I could get all I needed in Halfords or ScrewFix to combat any 'locking' nut anyway.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
That'll go back on the one on there. Line it up as best as possible then give it a thump with a hammer, then undo it and don't try to fit anymore.

A) I'm guessing you over tightened them

B) You really don't need locking wheel nuts

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Locking wheel nuts are a PITA. it seems to be a going trend that every car i buy is missing the bloody thing.

Worse when customers bring their car gor work...

Look round whole car.. Not to be found, call them... "Oh its here in the kichen drawer"

What f**king use is it there!

these are the ones that have the spinning ring on the outside to stop people smacking a wrench over the top of it to try and break it.

Think these are supposedly the best ones on the market... shame the keys are made of cheese.

Have contacted the seller and will wait for a response.

Hopefully they can send a replacement key free of charge, if not I'm guessing mcgard will charge something

+ what torque should I do em up to?

I just used a normal wrench

EDIT: I actually had to buy a wrench from halfords, as this happened to the standard one:

IMAG0297.jpg

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
How did you do that? Are you He-Man?

Anyway, 90Nm is the correct torque from memory. Wait for confirmation though.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'd guess you are over tightening, not seated correctly or not using the wrench squarely

I put on/off wheels on a regular basis, changing for track days etc, and never had this problem.

I think the key wasnt seated correctly on the bolt, only halfway pushed in or something and it slipped out whilst bending the lip on the key bit, which has made it not work! - I mean yeah I am he-man.

Gonna wait for an email back from the ebay seller so they can get a new key sent out. Sent them a right sob story too, saying I am now unable to use the car as I am unsure on how tight the bolt is and dont fancy a wheel coming off etc ;)

Even though the bolt is on pretty tight, I need to get a torque wrench really... what do people recommend? Preferably fairly cheap, as I just bought a new extendable wrench from halfrauds.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus dude, you know it's one bolt out of four, right? Make sure the others are tight and just use the car.

I find it almost impossible to believe you can't get that back on there though to get it undone...

Jesus dude, you know it's one bolt out of four, right? Make sure the others are tight and just use the car.

I find it almost impossible to believe you can't get that back on there though to get it undone...

yes IK its one bolt in four, if you read what else I put, I also said the bolt is fine, I have used the car.

I also dont know why it wont go back on... dont fancy hammering it, I'll just wait for McGard to get back to me.

BMW M135i
The seller is a soft touch if you manage to get one out of them, this is your bed. Lie in it.

I'd put good money on there being f**k all wrong with the bolts or the key.

Clio 197
I have never worried about torquing up wheel bolts , I tighten them with my 1/2 " ratchet until tight, any more and i wouldn't be able to undo them with the standard wrench at the roadside in the pouring rain.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
Most people I know use their calibrated arm. Always with a little less effort on the locker.

Clio 172
I actually had the same happen to me, the key slipped off the locknut whilst tightening them up and caused the same problem. I managed to sort it but I took them off and replaced them for a Renault set I had lying about.

Dodgy one
If you'd mailed me to ask for another key i'd tell you to do one.

Best thing i can suggest to do is put the locker in a vice and use a punch to try straighten the locker back up, then try tapping it in with a hammer, use a proper socket and a strongbar to release it.

172 cup
cant you get those sockets that just sit over the locking wheel nut, bang it on then unscrew.
Then just stick your old bolt back in send locking wheel nuts back for a refund or sumthing

sure halfords sell them.

Worse when customers bring their car gor work...

Look round whole car.. Not to be found, call them... "Oh its here in the kichen drawer"

What f**king use is it there!

FLOL I had to do a cambelt around not having the ability to remove the wheels as the customer had left it at home. In Cirencester (2.5hrs away)