ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few MBP Questions

LY 182
Right. Damn Apple have got me thinking. I've just purchased a new Dell laptop, but I'm contemplating returning it in favour of a MBP.

The Dell is Core i3-330, 4GB ram and 500GB HD. Cost me £500.

I'm looking at the MBP on Apple now and the cheapest £999 one. Not sure how that model / specs would compare to my Dell. And also if I'd need anything else? I don't know if AppleCare is essential, but if so that's an extra £200.

Now I've sorted the Dell wireless problem it seems like a really good laptop. But I've fallen for Apple products now haha. Would paying at least double the cost of the Dell be justified at all?

I know this is in the Apple section so views may be a bit biased but please answer honestly. In terms of what I do on the laptop I don't particularly need a monster of a computer. Mostly net browsing and then iTunes, working with files and internet marketing work which isn't particularly computer intensive.

Appreciate your input guys.

Apple is worth it if you can afford it.

3 years ago, I was torn between a macbook and a windows laptop. The windows laptop was half the price, and better spec, so I went with that.

Regret it. Apple's just work. My laptop is now pissing me off. Won't even run iTunes properly. Probably just resign to the fact it's time to get a macbook now.

Citroen DS3 DSport
If you know someone at uni then take them along when you buy and get a 15% discount. You also can buy Apple Care for cheap if you do that.

DB.

BMW 440i
If you know someone at uni then take them along when you buy and get a 15% discount. You also can buy Apple Care for cheap if you do that.

This mate! What i was going to say!

The MBP will be worth the extra money, there is just something about Apple laptops that just work so well compared to your average windows laptop. It'l be worth it mate, trust me!

LY 182
Sweet. How would that work exactly the uni thing? I've got a few mates back from Uni now so not a problem to do that. I'd probably want to pay on my credit card though would that still be possible? Or would I need to go cash for it to work best?

How much does AppleCare cost on the whole Uni thing?

Abarth 500 Essesse
You should be fine paying with your card AFAIK, they just need the student in the store with ID, just say you're buying it for him as he is giving you the money back or something if they ask.

Applecare was £47 when i got it, although there is some contention over wether or not its supposed to be completed free. But for £47 i wasn't going to argue

Chris

LY 182
Whoa sweeet. 15% off certainly tempts me haha.

Now I just need to see if those bumlords at PC World will take this Dell back despite me setting it up and using it for a couple days. Only had it since Wednesday so they should refund me I hope! Then off to the Apple Store I go! :eek:

Abarth 500 Essesse
Is there anything wrong with it? Mind if it's only a few days old you should just be able to say it's not suitable for what you need it for and it shouldn't be a problem really.

LY 182
I did have a problem with the Wireless card but I'm hoping I can just say I've decided I don't want it and that will be that.

In terms of this Apple uni thing.. is it a set 15% discount? Can I just go to my local Apple store with my friend from Uni and sort it out there? She'll just need her uni identification stuff I guess?

Abarth 500 Essesse
Yeh, think i paid about 950 with a case and applecare in the end.

With the dell only being a few days you should be ok, just make sure its in the box and is as new with all accessories and everything.

LY 182
Awesome.

So just to clarify.. I can do this at an Apple store?

I'll just take my friend from Uni and say she's my girlfriend or something to be more convincing. What will she need? Just some uni forms / identification?

Abarth 500 Essesse
Just the NUS card mate, yes it needs to be an actual apple store not just a retailer, saying she's your girlfriend will be a better idea, didn't realise your mate was a girl at the start though lol.

LY 182
Ahhh awesome. Excited now haha! I'll just say she's the gf and it's a present. That should cut it right?

She's like my best mate. My actual gf is going to Uni this year but it must be easier to use somebody who's already been there and got all the paperwork etc.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Once you've used a Mac, you will not go back to Windows.

And then the MBP itself is a piece of art. So well constructed, compared to a creaky plastic laptop.

DB.

BMW 440i
You can always take a lad who goes Uni and say he is your boyfriend. They will ask less questions then!

I took a UCAS letter, but NUS is fine i think!

LY 182
Once you've used a Mac, you will not go back to Windows.

And then the MBP itself is a piece of art. So well constructed, compared to a creaky plastic laptop.

Yeah I'm a sucker for aesthetically pleasing stuff! :eek:

Damn can't wait for this now. If all goes to play.. MBP Tuesday + iPhone 4 Thursday.

Steve Jobs you cheeky b4rstad!

LY 182
I take it the 13" MBP is pretty damn good performance wise? Just reading a couple reviews from Tech Radar and the likes moaning that it didn't get a core i-series chip.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Madness.

My 15" MBP is a late 2009 with the Core 2 Duo. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and it's got the dual graphics option. It's lighting fast, and I use it for some pretty heavy graphics work.

You don't need the i5/i7's in a notebook, IMO. At least not yet.

LY 182
Madness.

My 15" MBP is a late 2009 with the Core 2 Duo. I upgraded the RAM to 4GB and it's got the dual graphics option. It's lighting fast, and I use it for some pretty heavy graphics work.

You don't need the i5/i7's in a notebook, IMO. At least not yet.

Yeah I thought this. I just saw Tech Radar give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars and was like WTF haha. Slander!

I prefer the compactness of 13" to. Dammit hurry up next week already!

LY 182
Just arranged for my other uni mate to be used for the purchase on Sunday now. Can't friggin wait.

Steve Jobs is a total babe tbh.

LY 182
Returned the Dell today nice and easy. Was a bit worried after reading their T's & C's. However the original Wireless card driver was naff, only worked properly with me doing some tweaking so I reinstalled the original to make it s**t and said it was faulty. Job done haha.

Can't get the MBP til I get the money from PC refunded though.. gits!

Just a quick question.. Do I need iWork or not? The most time consuming thing I'd be doing on there is working with datafeed files which would be csv files in Excel normally. Can I do this on the MBP with the standard set up? I suppose I can always download Open office if required.

BG 182
i have just purchased my 1st MBP in 13 inch. didnt get student discount but am soooo happy with it, the look and feel is amazing compared to my compaq laptop and the software is incredible i am just learning myself round the whole system, its gonna take a while!

u will not regret it

LY 182
^^ Nice one dude.

One of my aff. marketing buddies just hit me up with a great link with loads of people stating their most used / fav programs / apps for the MBP.

I literally am buzzing to get this. Soon as my Dell refund clears I'm down the Apple store. Woooop.

^^ Nice one dude.

One of my aff. marketing buddies just hit me up with a great link with loads of people stating their most used / fav programs / apps for the MBP.

I literally am buzzing to get this. Soon as my Dell refund clears I'm down the Apple store. Woooop.

Don't buy from Apple. They wanted £849 for a MacBook and wouldn't budge on price. I went next door to PC World and got them to match Amazons price of £802.

LY 182
I've just seen Amazon are selling it at £888 so that's only an extra £30 or so more than buying it through Apple w/ 15% student discount.

I'd rather try the Apple route though and get the Applecare plan cheap too.

LY 182
Well I was planning on getting this tonight, but my refund from Saturday has yet to show up from the bumlords at PC World.

Just a quick question. With the AppleCare, will that be required to be put under the name of my Uni friend seeing as she's the one getting me the discount and I'm pretending it's a present for her? I imagine so. If there are any issued would I be able to take it in and get it fixed with the paperwork or would it literally have to be her?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just order it from a uni (they can detect the IP address and tell that it's a uni) and you can put your info for everything, they don't check you're a student. Apple Care just registers the serials, doesn't need names or anything so I imagine Bin Laden could take your MBP into Apple 2 1/2 years later a get it repaired.