ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Federal 595 RSRs on a daily basis?

clio 182 FF silver
Wondered what RSRs are like to live with on a daily basis? How long will they last? How bad in the wet?
I run winter tyres in the winter so would not have to cope with the worst weather.

Ph1 T
i ran these for about 3 months on road went to the 'ring did a couple of trackdays and sold on with still good tread very good tyre IMO quite loud on road though i thought when i switched back to roads..

clio 182 FF silver
Thanks, did you do many road miles in the 3 months, I have a 50 mile round trip commute each day?

i ran these for about 3 months on road went to the 'ring did a couple of trackdays and sold on with still good tread very good tyre IMO quite loud on road though i thought when i switched back to roads..

LY Megane R26
I've just bought these for my Daily and I do a 50 mile round trip a day plus a few trackdays and the ring in may/june. 15" tho and at £306 a set it's saved me some money compared to the £500 a set AD08 I'v just finished running on my Turinis. Iv read very good things about RSR in the dry (slightly on par with 888's) and with the weather getting better and personally not driving like a tit in the wet I thought they was worth a punt.
Unless you got with AD08? Still awesome dry grip, think there ment to be slightly better in the wet and with 8mm over 6.5mm?Was it for 15" or 16"?

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I run them all the time till winter.
After a trackday they clean up nicely for the next event ;)
Not bothered with swapping tyres after every event & if you do the maths it's cheaper to run just the RSR :D
Tyres are the least expensive part of my yearly trackday calendar!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
These tyres are cheap enough to run as a daily tyre.

its the tyres like r888 or Yoko a408 are too expensive to use as a daily tyretyre

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Not really, v12 evos are £35 a tyre, i would rather run them than my track tyres that cost roughly twice as much!

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
V12 evo's

£35 a tyres?... No they're not, if your talking 15" tyres. I'm talking in my terms for a 17"

he didn't mention a size, so I'm just going off costs of a 225/45-17 for me.

the federal rs-r for me is actually cheaper than the evo v12

Last edited:

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
V12 evo's

£35 a tyres?... No they're not, if your talking 15" tyres. I'm talking in my terms for a 17"

he didn't mention a size, so I'm just going off costs of a 225/45-17 for me.

the federal rs-r for me is actually cheaper than the evo v12

Sorry I didnt realise, I would run rsr's all the time if I was you! I have them on my car as dailys at the moment and they are awesome on the road!

Audi A5
Not sure exactly how many miles I've done on mine probably about 6000, plus a few track days. Think I've got about 3mm left in the middle three quarters but their getting quite worn on the edges now, due a change soon.

I think if you done no track days and swapped them round every now and then you could get 10k out of a set.

clio 182 FF silver
Thanks for comments. I have 16" wheels and price of the RSRs looked to be similar price to a good quality road tyre so thought it might be worth considering as I have already invested in winter tyres. If you can get 10k out of a set with better dry road grip or the advantages on a trackday seems like a viable option.
Another question though - how temperature sensitive is the grip , is it really better in normal / enthusiastic road driving or do you only get the benefits on track?

Audi A5
You will notice them on the roads compared to cr@p tyres, maybe not as much compared to premium tyres like ps3's.

they go come alive on track though, and your be amazed how the tread stays together and doesn't fall apart like normal road tyres on track.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
the federals are a happy compromise, they are harder wearing than R888 and run slightly quieter as well whilst still providing probably around 75-80% of the dry grip of R888's

both are fairly adequate in the wet, but the federals hold up better with standing water.

overall I rate the federals for road use but they are no where near as grippy on track I found when compared to medium compound 'GG' R888's

plus theres the tread issue where the federals split across the section and the tread peels off, mine haven't done this as yet but the signs on the tread are there, a lateral sort of groove/peel line across the tread on them

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
seems to be wearing in not away on mine lol, the front two are fine, the rears that were on the front have it.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I don't see it as a massive issue, still use them on track and don't even think about it, its just something to be mindful of if your a worrier etc