ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fastchip custom cal limp mode problem

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Hi,
I have a custom cal from fastchip.nl in my Twingo 1.2 TCE which has been working very well until arrives the high temperatures in summer. Some days when the air it is very hot I have a boost peak which make the car go to limp mode, only when pressing generously throttle between 2200 and 2700 rpm. The maximum boost my car admit it is about 225 mg/stroke and when the air it is very hot I have a little more and get limp mode. The rest of the year work perfect.
I try to contact Henk from www.fastchip.nl during last 2 months but no e-mail answered. I don´t now if the company closed, but I'm looking for a solution.
What about installing a Electronic Boost Controller?
I have read it has the option of boost limiter, so I can adjust boost to max of 220 mg/stroke.
Also, I have read it allows to maintain boost in hight rpm, because at 4500 rpm my boost start decreasing progressively to 173 mg/stroke at 6500 rpm.
If I increase boot in hight rpm also it is possible to increase detonations or a bad AFR?
How this device is going to affect to my custom cal?
I was thinking in: http://gizzmousa.com/msibc.html
MSIBC-v3 which it is a very simple.
Thanks

Last edited:
  Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
As far as i'm aware Henk is still running fastchip, have you been a bit rude in your emails? As if so he will most likely ignore you!

He normally replies within 48 hours in a worst case scenario, i've never had a problem contacting him!

Beaten up 182
He is, I contacted him a week ago. Sounds like you need to reduce the boost or get your charge temp down.

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Thanks for your replies.
I have send 3 e-mail during July, August and September explain the problem I have with last cal, and send him the logs with the fault as he ask me last time we speak and any answer.
So If it is still working, I can understand why he don´t answered me the e-mails, perhaps spam filter?
Please Henk contact with me. Thanks

Other way, what about the Electronic boost controller? Or perhaps a simple FMIC to reduce the air temperature?

Beaten up 182
I'm guessing (and I do mean guessing!) an electronic boost controller could work if the ECU is going by an air pressure reading from the plenum but I have no idea how the Twingo is set up. A decent intercooler would help if you're only having this issue when it gets hot although probably not a cheap option.

As far as i'm aware Henk is still running fastchip, have you been a bit rude in your emails? As if so he will most likely ignore you!

He normally replies within 48 hours in a worst case scenario, i've never had a problem contacting him!

Map he has from me is fine (for years) , he says so himself.
Henk, I'm very happy with your custom cal, the cars works perfect,
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?750904-Which-place-for-remap-1-2-TCE-with-clio-172-injectors&p=10369401&viewfull=1#post10369401

He has a map with lower boost as well so the limp home mode would never occur even with bad fuel quality. Which has worked fine for all these years.
If a problem pops-up now its likely due to mechanical factors.

Last edited:
  Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Map he has from me is fine (for years) , he says so himself.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?750904-Which-place-for-remap-1-2-TCE-with-clio-172-injectors&p=10369401&viewfull=1#post10369401

He has a map with lower boost as well so the limp home mode would never occur even with bad fuel quality. Which has worked fine for all these years.
If a problem pops-up now its likely due to mechanical factors.

Just had a quick read of his thread you posted, looks like he had a k-tec map with 172 injectors which didnt work very well and went back to your map with standard injectors and it doesnt work as it did/ Good old K-tec their map probably broke something!

I did think he wasn't telling the whole story as i've always had a perfect service from you, for both my old 172 and now megane, that's why i asked if he had been rude to you!

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Henk:
Thanks for replying.
Yes I'm very happy with your custom cal. As I told you, you make a good job (not like Ktec).
It has been working very well, but very rarely in summer between 2200 an 2700 in second gear, when outside temperature is very hight (near 40 degrees) I get a fault for boost excess. I send you an e-mail and you ask me a log, but it was impossible to get it. Very difficult to reproduce the fault and get my computer at same time connected.
Finally this summer get the log, and send you, and no answer. Why did you not answered my e-mails? I was thinking my e-mail was going to spam for some reason and try to contact here.
I would like if you can read the log and tell me if it is a problem with the boost or not, of course I can pay you for your time. There is more than two years you make me the cal file, I understand it.
Please contact with me. Thanks

jjones82:
Be sure I'm not rude with my e-mails. I'm a very polite person. I can resend the e-mails if you want to read it. I start with Hi Henk, explain problem and finish with best regards.
I had this fault before Ktec cal, so nothing it is broken. I have a obd2 gauge which monitoring boost and air temperature and when boost arrive near 227 mg/stroke I have the fault. Only need to reduce boost between 2200 and 2700 rpm. This it only 10 minutes in the map edit software.

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
Hey DJtronic,

I'm good thanks, i just thought from your original post that you had the map recently and Henk was ignoring you now that a fault that risen which i found a bit hard to believe so i assumed that you had perhaps been a little rude in your emails, which you obviously haven't been.

I'd imagine that you may have to pay for a whole new map file as it has been 2 years that you've had the map..... I know a lot of tuners over here in the UK only give 12 month warranties on their maps, although you never know Henk may be in a good mood and not charge you full price!

Can you not just use the low boost map that you have in the meantime / over summer so the fault doesn't arise?

I'd be looking at a new intercooler personnaly if the problem is only in summer with hot temperatures..... Are their any cheap intercoolers for the twingo?
I got a cheap chinese intercooler for my megane and its a damn site better at keeping intake temperatures down than the standard unit, so that may be an option?? Have you data logged the intake air temperatures when the fault occurs?

I'd email monkeymagic in this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?555958-Twingo-GT-what-to-do-next ask hhim where he got his intercooler from as i had a quick google but nothing stands out......

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Hi jjones82,
Thanks for you reply, yes, I can used the stage 1 map in summer and stage 2 map the rest of the year. But the stage 2 over boost fault it happen very rarely so I´m using stage 2 all time. Believe me that I need more than one year to get a log with the fault, because depends of the hot air and high atmospheric pressure. But I would like to have the perfect cal, of course.
The way to go will be an FMIC because decrease the air temperature and also increase the air space with the long pipes and extra intercooler size which it´s going to smooth boost peaks. I don´t know it I will have turbo lag, and how much.
Found this kit: http://www.toyosports.co.uk/225-universal-intercooler-kit-type-s-550x140x62mm-16099-1239-p.asp
Also I need a reduction from 2,5 to 2" : http://www.txautosport.co.uk/2---25--51mm---63mm-4-ply-silicone-reducer-joiner-122-p.asp
But I´m i little worried about turbo lag for the long pipes and intercooler size.
Also I would like to know if I can install a electronic boost controller to limit boost to 220 mg/stroke and also maintain it in all rpm range.
Other option I founded is a small electronics circuit which i have make but no yet install that get the voltage from map sensor and limit with in the value I want. So if the limit before limp mode it is 4,3V I can adjust the maximum value at 4,2V. For voltage from 0 to 4,2V the input voltage it is the same than the output voltage, so not affect the car. The problem it is if I have big over boost for a fault or mechanical problem, the car never detect and I will broke something.
Best regards

Silver Clio 172 Phase 1
I doubt the lag will be much more if at all with an uprated inter cooler, theoretically yes but will you actually notice it? I doubt it!?

On my megane i've got a 30% larger intercooler than standard (i think, its 60mm core) with bigger pipework also and didnt notice any additional lag if anything it seemed to pull a little better in the midrange and the top end, a few people i know of go with 90mm cores so much much bigger again and they haven't reported any more lag etc....

I personnally wouldnt go with your electronic gadget that you've made, as you said it takes away a safety net your car currently has.

I think the boost controller probably isnt the best idea either it "may" (i'm not massively clued up on them tbh) help limit your boost at lower levels so you won't get the fault, but i very much doubt it will let your car maintain the boost levels at higher RPM as i imagine that is just your turbo running out of puff as most OEM turbo's do, my power drops off fairly sharply after 5500rpm its just the nature of a turbo car unless you upgrade the turbo, power will always tail off IMO

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Ok, thanks for your comments with the intercooler, if you don´t notice I don´t also do it.
I think it is the way to go.
I publish here a graph I get from the fault. The boost peak a get at 3400 rpm aprox, but only when press throttle generously from 2200-2700 rpm.
RSTuner_00000.jpg

Twingo 1.2 TCE
Henk,
Here you have 2 logs with only rpm, gas pedal position and MAP:

RSTuner_0000_A.jpg
RSTuner_0000_B.jpg

In log A , the MAP increase to 2477 and injection cut. I had also 2 more injection cuts if maintain gas pedal in same position.
In log B, the MAP increase to 2478 and the same, injection cut.
Only in 2º gear and high air temperatures.
Stage 1 don´t have enough boost to arrive so high, so no injection cut with high air temperatures.
Please, let me know what do you thing about the logs.
Thanks