ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Computer People :)

Hi there im just woundering how you get back your deleted items which have been deleted out your recycling bin? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks alot

Yes there is. There are a few programs that can recover 'deleted' data. Often it will depend on how many times the data has been written over. If you've recently just deleted something then the odds are it can fairly easily be recovered.

The data does not get erased. The reference to it in the file table is just removed. Google should reveal plenty of programs that will have a go for you :)

R56 JCW
Roy progis like that are sometimes a waste of space, a customer of mine who i knew did this and it left him with half his dll's missing, fresh install of Windows

Worth a try though. no point doing a system restore thats a waste of space lol

the undelete function in TuneUp Utilites is ok, try that, you can download the 30 day trial from there site, google it

Audi TTS S Tronic
Roy progis like that are sometimes a waste of space, a customer of mine who i knew did this and it left him with half his dll's missing, fresh install of Windows

Having System Restore enabled is one of the best ways to conjure up a lot of viruses these days :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member

Sounds like your customer is a f**king idiot tbh :p

I've used a few undelete progs on servers before and they've all worked well

Better than yours. C*nt.

Get out, you're officially banned from the Technology Chat section for being a prize waste of opinion.

I've used http://www.z-a-recovery.com/ before, and it recovered around 400GB data off a drive with a knackered MFT... Also had it recover from a 4GB SD card, and a colleague has used it a few times on several computers...

But as Roy said, there's loads out there.

Audi TTS S Tronic
Nope... magnets DONT wipe hard drives because they are in a solid state and also... even if you smash hard drives, it is still POSSIBLE to get data from them ;)

Audi TTS S Tronic
Only with something extremely powerful

The little, curved, shiny things are “hard drive magnets”, a metal bracket with Neodynium magnets attached. They are the strong, rare-earth permanent magnets that form half of the motor that moves the read-write head quickly across the surface of a hard disk platter. They are so powerful in fact, if you stick the flat ones to your fridge you’ll need to pry them off with a screwdriver. Most computer enthusiasts look at a picture like this and conclude right away that the data on that drive is toast.
There’s this old myth you can mess up or even erase the data on your hard drive by placing a whole bunch of fridge magnets on the outside of your case. To test this myth, I thought I might go one step further and cover a hard drive with really strong magnets to see what would happen. It seems sort of fitting that the strongest magnets I have are also the very magnets that make a hard drive work. I left them on for a day and a half.
The result? The data on the drive above was accessible after I pulled all the magnets off.
Since the drive pictured above was a little dodgy to begin with, I tried the procedure a second time with a different, known-good hard drive. As with the first one, there was no damage to the data at all. Not only did the second drive pass a CHKDSK, MD5SUMs of three ISO images on it were the same both before and after a sixteen hour period of being covered.
It would seem that hard drives are not as susceptible to magnetic fields as people think they are. This makes sense when you think about it a bit. Those powerful hard drive magnets are normally found inside a hard drive less than 2cm from the platters. Hard drives wouldn’t work at all if these magnets could erase the surface just by being close by.
The scientific reason why my ghetto drive erasing system doesn’t work is because for all their apparent magnetic power, the rare-earth hard drive magnets are simply not powerful enough to affect the particles on the hard drive platter when sitting on top of its cover. The coercivity of the magnetic material on a hard drive platter is very high, around two thousand Oersteds, and even though rare-earth magnets can have five times that level of coercivity, mine aren’t nearly so strong. Since there is a bit of space between the drive’s top cover and the surface of the platter, the affect of their magnetic field is even less. I could have a hundred of them piled on for a week and it wouldn’t make any difference.
So is it possible to mess up the data on a hard drive with permanent magnets? Sure, but not with the little ones you tend to find just lying around. Certainly not with fridge magnets. A big rare-earth one would probably do the trick, just as a bulk electromagnetic media degausser would. If you really, permanently want to wipe your hard drive, you could always check out the GuardDog prototype. It not only erases a drive using a strong magnet, it destroys it.

182FF with cup packs
i'm pretty sure a smashed disc will make it unrecoverable... :rasp:

IBM used to make drives that used metal coated glass platters.

Those were pretty damn non-recoverable if you smashed the platters :). Though IIRC there was a class action lawsuit about them because the platters kept shattering in the laptop ones (duuuuur!).

Pulsed degausing magnets are great for doing the job though.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Smashing the platters DOES destroy the data on them depending on how well you do it. Fire damage is another good way of doing it, but other than that anything can be recovered (even recently it was proved that overwritten stuff can be recovered!) depending on how deep your pockets are.

RAID also makes it a lot more expensive!

Better than yours. C*nt.
^^lol harsh TBH :D

Not really. Not only did it have a knackered MFT, it was also reseeking. Lots. The drive was deemed toast and I was offered a fair reward if I could recover the information as it was of significant clinical importance.

I succeeded, and never saw the reward. Although some might say I've more than made up for that!

Present for the guy who said it doesn't work though.

http://www.retards.com

Better than yours. C*nt.
Slightly concerned in the 'Chat' section - General Chat - that there's a post in a topic 'Our Neighbor's Cat' by member 'Bestiality'. LOL!

Mike I meant it was harsh saying the guy is officially banned from tech chat for having a waste of an opinion ;)

And yes. Ultra geek-fest TBH :D

182FF with cup packs
Definately can be a pain in the ass when they go wrong, although RAID1 is much easier!

Mirrored Raid 5 is where it's at :) It pretty much takes an act of god to take one of them out. Expensive on the disks though, you want to store 2tb of data, you need 6tb of disk