ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Failed MOT :( Help

182, 172 Track Shed
Hi Guys,

Car failed MOT today on 2 points listed below:

1) Offside outer front constant velocity joint gator insecurely mounted to its housing
2) Nearside front coil spring not correctly located

The guy seemed to think the first one could be fixed by a small clip or something and 2 mins on a ramp, but only Renault carried the part. Renault want £50 quid to fix it :( Anyone help with where I can get the bit?

The second one Renault quoted me for £88 to simply realign spring or £250 if it needed replacing, not a lot of information I know but anyone else come across this problem and know a cheap way to fix it?

Thanks in advance!

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
no 1 the cv boot is easy just put a cable tie(zip tie) round it to rescure it.

never had a coil spring no seated correctlly normaly they are broken is it standered springs fitted?

Megane dci 130
In my experience, cable ties dont hold plastic boots. You can get a good steel band from loads of car factors.

182, 172 Track Shed
Yeah just standard springs, the cable tie sounds like a bit of a bodge fix? Would that pass an MOT?

Where would I get the steel band from and what would I ask for?

Sry to sound like a plank

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
yea it will be fine for an mot as it will be scure ive never had a proble and passed loads with them fitted.

sound to me as the spring is not sat at its stop proberly due to brakeing failed quite afew on snaped sandered springs.

take it to another garage and get a second opion.

Da

Less
You want a CV boot clip, from my experience Halfords don't stock them large enough.
A jubilee clip would be sufficient but again you'll have to ensure you buy the correct size.

My offside boot came loose too, this seems quite common.

Shame you're not closer, I could have sorted both issues for £50. I have the boot clip and a set of 182 springs.