ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extremely crashy rear suspension - please help!

Clio 182
Hi guys, got an issue with the rear suspension on my 172 cup. Basically whenever I go over speed bumps or any other bump in the road, the front goes over fine and the damping works as it should, then the rear seems to just crash over and thud back down. Is there any easy ways to diagnose what could be causing the issue? Thanks

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Shocks have gone by sounds of it, look for leaking oil or ideally whip one off and try to compress it. A correctly working shock will compress in then slowly come back out. Knackered one will be more like a pogo stick lol.

RB 182
As above, check for fluid leaks on your shocks, seems a common fault. Check the springs whilst you're at it also. Both shocks on my 172 cup have gone, as more fluid comes out it will gradually get worse. I got a pair from Renault Wolverhampton on here, £80 a pair delivered!

Clio 182
Yeah I've had a quick look underneath and they are both leaking :(

Gonna order a pair and try to fit next weekend. Is it an easy job?

RB 182
Yeah pretty straight forward, do a search and you will find a variety of guides. Minimal tools required, about 30 minutes each side.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
2 spanners for the top, one to hold one to loosen, 17mm socket for bottom. Its a absolute breeze both sides can easily be done in 15mins.

Clio 182
excellent, thanks for the help guys. Do these need to be torqued up or can I just tighten them f**kin tight lol?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
1 thing to note though, if you remove both bottom bolts the rear beam will be free to drop so either lower is slowly with a jack or support it with a axle stand or do 1 side at a time lol.

Clio 182
haha sweet. The car is pretty low so I may need to raise it just to get under to be honest.

I'm guessing the best way would be jack it up on the rear beam (is this ok as I've seen people say it's a no no before?), then put axle stands on sills and keep jack holding the weight of the beam so when I remove the bottom bolts it doesn't all fall down... will this work?