ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Extreme 4 1.2 Interior Ideas

1.2 16V
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought an 05 plate Extreme 4 1.2, and am looking for inspiration/ideas for the interior. I would definitely like to improve the 2 front and 2 rear speakers, but other than that I am open to anything!
I'm collecting the car on Wednesday, so will upload photos that evening! :)

I also have a similar post relating to the exterior of the car in the exterior thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?643325-Clio-Extreme-4-Paintwork

1.2 16v clio
colour coding updates the look of the car

speakers are a good idea but i would also change the headunit and amp the front speakers

also sound deadening on the doors and other panels if you wish to buy quite abit of it

other then that theres not really much to do unless you want to spend quite alot on fully upgrading your full interior

1.2 16V
Sorry, but what is colour coding?

I've bought a sony headunit, thinking of getting 4x vibe speakers for doors, and maybe one 6x9" for parcel-shelf.

Hi pal I have the exact same spec car as yours.

I had to add rear speakers, and the extreme 4 come all colour coded (bump strips and inserts same as car colour)

I have a Full Interior from a ph2 172 which cost around 200.

As for better audio as above, amp front speakers and get decent set of components.
Components are the main speaker plus a tweeter which does the high frequencies.

Other ways of improving audio, try an underseat subwoofer, all bass more space.

1.2 16V
Hi mate, what does "amp front speakers and get a decent set of components" mean? I'm new to modifying a car, as I've been driving my dad's car for the past year and a half! :)
I'm planning on getting some Vibe BlackAir 525w parcel shelf speakers, but I'm not sure what to do for the others.

1.2 16v clio
i never meant the outside some people colour code the dash strips or even wrap them

if you connect the speakers to the original loom thats being run off the headunit you wont be using the speakers to their full advantage and quality no matter what the headunit rms rating is so using an amp will make it louder and will pull that quality in more all depending on what set up you get really

i would also not bother with 6x9's in the parcel shelf, its not just they look rubbish in the car its also you wont really hear them unless you overpower them and then you will only hear them ( had to do this for a friend as he was bugging me for ages and it sounds s**t)

just upgrade your front speakers first its easy to do but i would also amp them but that means running cables through the door and also means taking the door cards off to place the crossover ( if your going component rather then coaxial )

1.2 16V
My headunit is a Sony GT550UI, and it says it has a "Dynamic Reality Amp". It also doesn't show an amp on the diagrams for front speakers, but shows how to fit one for rear speakers. Do I still need an amp for the front?

No. You can fit front and rear speakers without an amp to any headunit.
Adding an external amp means you can run more powerful speakers and better sound quality.
Component speakers are speakers with include a tweeter (small one in the dash) and woofer (door speaker) joined by a crossover box which filters the correct sound to each.

1.2 16V
Thanks James, so would I need 1 amp for front and 1 for rear? Also, what type of amp would it be? I've seen 2-channel, 4-channel and 5-channel ones online!

Is it 6.5" speakers for front?

no 5.25" Front and back.

A 2-Channel Amp will power a pair of coaxial speakers or component speakers.
A 4-Channel Amp will power two pairs of coaxial speakers or component speakers (such as pair in front and pair in back)
A Single Channel will power a sub.

You need to look at RMS power ratings if you're seriously considering this, as said you don't need to.
You want the RMS power of the speakers to match the RMS of each channel on the amp.

1.2 16V
I'm going to fit some new speakers primarily. Buying an amp would be an extra if I could afford it.

Does the wattage of the headunit relate to the speakers at all? The headunit is 4x 52W. I've found some alpine component speakers that are 65W RMS.

1.2 16V
Ok, so I've collected the car and seems great. I've taken the panel off where the rear speakers should be, and there aren't any wires for a rear speaker, meaning I need to pay to get it wired! Major ball-ache, as thats £150-200 I didn't want to spend.

I tapped into the wires in the passenger foot well.

There is a block behind door frame plastics, you'll need to remove the door seal
This'll loosen the lower plastic. I'll take pics tomorrow its not a big expensive job pal.

I used 5m speaker wire, shouldn't cost you more than £10.
Then take a trip to maplin an get some speaker terminal crimps
http://www.maplin.co.uk/extra-flexible-flat-speaker-cable-20679
http://www.maplin.co.uk/fully-insulated-crimp-terminal-lucar-female-42728

Then up to you how you tap into the original speaker wires.
People frown upon using scotch locks.

I cut the wires of the block, then connected then through a terminal block.

1.2 16V
Most of that went way over my head! The only thing I've ever done with a speakers system is put a new headunit in place (and I can't even get that to work with my steering wheel stick controls)! I might be able to do it with pictures showing how, anything to save money is a godsend. I'll be very grateful for any guidance! :)

Yea if you want them in the rears you'll have to lay the wires.

The power ratings on your head unit are max. so 4x52Watt is probably only 14-19Watt RMS, which obviously is very low power.
Hence you can see why people get amps.

Although tbh for what you're after just fitting an uprated pair without an amp would do you fine.
If you were nearer I'd offer to wire your rears for you. Its easy when you know how.

1.2 16V
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help! So in terms of speakers, is there anything I should be looking for? Also for rear, is it coaxial ones I buy? (not sure where the tweeters would go if I bought component!)

Just made a guide dude, so it needs a moderators approval before people can see, I am no speaker pro James is probably your for in depth stuff.

For my rears I bought similar ones to these
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4885.html

For the tweeters they are in your dash, they are about 3" wide
kenny_254_1128885395_tweeter_clio2.jpg
Here :) If you were to replace them you would need to remove the top dash plenty of guides of how to on here :)

Cracking guide mate!

Yea for the rear coaxial is what you want.
Probs best just to replace the door speakers with coaxial too, as you'd struggle to wire up components judging from your experience!
Then just leave the tweeters or unplug them if they sound too harsh.

If you're not amping them, no need to spend £££'s.
Just a decent make.

1.2 16V
Thanks MWright! Amazing guide! I'm going to leicester's Car Audio Centre this weekend to get my steering wheel controls attached to my headunit, so I'll buy the speakers and available parts when I'm there! I've got a mate who can do the front components for me, he works at a garage and knows loads about doing speakers.

I've been looking around, and I'm drawn to these, would they be right? http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-spg-13cs_p-23887.htm for Front. http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-alpine-spg-13c2_p-23889.htm for rear.

No. 4x52W is the MAX power rating. Ignore that, it means little in real life.
Essentially 4x52W MAX power is only roughly 4x13~19W RMS power.
But I wouldn't worry too much about that if you're not amping.

1.2 16V
I went into Leicester Car Audio Centre today and bought some In Phase 6x9s for my parcel shelf. The guy said that it would provide a much better sound than putting some rear coaxials in. Next plan is to upgrade the front components! Is there a guide for fitting 6x9s floating around?

1.2 16v clio
another top tip never listen to people in the shop they are there to sell you things as for information i wouldnt take that as a pinch of salt mate

You just wire them exactly the same as the rears. So follow the guide, but just extend the wires to connect the rear outputs to the parcel shelf.
To be fair the mounting holes for the standard rear ones are pap.

You need a stealth shelf ideally mate. Or use wood on the standard one to stengthen it.

1.2 16V
A stealth shelf is a bit out of budget for a few months, so how would I strengthen the standard one with wood? Place a sheet of wood underneath and drill it in? (after cutting a hole for the 6x9s in the wood)

1.2 16V
Nevermind, I fitted the 6x9s in my shelf this afternoon, and my shelf is sturdy enough to hold them just fine. Found out my tweeters and front speakers are run from independent cables connecting to the headunit, is this normal? I thought they were incorporated into 1.