ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exploding clutch??

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
had a bit of a disaster at the last track day, brother was driving just said he heard a big bang. got it back to the pits to see this.

Anglesey22-7-12346.jpg

he said he wasnt changin gear or anything just driving, anyone ever seen this? its detroyed the gearbox and some engine mounts, radiators oil cooler etc with the force!?

its a new clutch done no more than a 1000 miles, recon gearbox engine was pulling like a train all day?

330i. E30 Touring.
Ouch! Proper job, that! Looks to have smashed the bell housing casing, the engine block and the flywheel!

Need to strip it apart to see what needs replacing/what was at fault. If it's a new clutch, my bet is that something's not been fitted correctly. Something like the clutch friction plate not been torqued up enough and come loose. Something of that weight combined with a flywheel doing 3k RPM could easily make that kind of mess.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
. Something like the clutch friction plate not been torqued up enough

or over tightened. The thread is very close to the edge of the flywheel. If it's been gunned on or just done to FT then this could easily be the issue

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
was torqued up from what i believe we have a very trusted mechanic! it was probably doing more like 7000RPM at the time i think. he says it just went bang, but no noises or vibrations or anything prior to this. Its done a track day and a nurburg trip since the new clutch so not a new thing as such.

will try strip it down see what we can salvage.

how hard is it to transfer gears into a different gearbox casing?

330i. E30 Touring.
From what i can see it looks like only the clutch bellhousing is knackered. Without getting the box out, you won't know though.

If it is just that section, i'm pretty sure you could buy any JC5 box (knackered 172 one maybe) and swap the bellhousings... I've never tried though

Saying that, the missing bit of engine block would worry me more!

windle

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9 Gt, 182 Toy
ah, is that part of the box interchangable then? i presume it would have to be a sport gearbox or will any do?

plan is to see exeactly whats broken off! if its only that one engine lug and we still have the piece we could have it welded? if theres a few broken then probably looking at a new block i guess!?

clutch is the standard renault one is it helix? nothing uprated or anything!