ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

exhaust tip welding anyone around cheshire???

a low one
Ive got a mate that works in a garage that does bits on the side cheap, removes centre boxes and welds pipe in place, also welded his exhaust tip.

could ask him if you want?

If it's stainless steel will need tig welding think it will cost more than £20, if I was still a welder would do it for you but don't have any equipment now.

a low one
If it's stainless steel will need tig welding think it will cost more than £20, if I was still a welder would do it for you but don't have any equipment now.

IIRC you can still weld stainless steel but it will be weaker than with a tig? and a tip wont come under much weight will it so would it not be okay? Youll know it best if you were a welder :rasp:

IIRC you can still weld stainless steel but it will be weaker than with a tig? and a tip wont come under much weight will it so would it not be okay? Youll know it best if you were a welder :rasp:

Yeah you can weld stainless with a mig but personally I wouldn't do it, get a much nicer finish with tig.

Also with tig whoever does it could grind it flush and polish it all up so it looks like one piece, thats what I would do.

Also mig to stainless is weak and may crack again.

a low one
Sounds about right! knew it was weaker and that but seems sensible to get it on a tig! Any metal fabrication place should have a tig shouldnt they?

I got my centre box removed and welded up by a metal fabbies for a much cheaper price than a garage

Sounds about right! knew it was weaker and that but seems sensible to get it on a tig! Any metal fabrication place should have a tig shouldnt they?

I got my centre box removed and welded up by a metal fabbies for a much cheaper price than a garage

Yeah most places should do, I worked in a fabrication shop and people that brought alloys and exhausts always said it was cheaper to go straight to a fab shop. Shopping round never hurts though.

a low one
fabbys seem to do it quicker too and clearly better i would have thought. i asked 3 garages to do mine, two wanted me to wait 2 weeks and quoted £45 one told me it was illegal so went to the fabbys round the corner, did it there and then for £28 and a nice job on it too :approve:

fabbys seem to do it quicker too and clearly better i would have thought. i asked 3 garages to do mine, two wanted me to wait 2 weeks and quoted £45 one told me it was illegal so went to the fabbys round the corner, did it there and then for £28 and a nice job on it too :approve:

Yeah small garages will probs send it off to a fab shop.lol.

a low one
they were big garages that had been reccomended by mates and they do it in house! probably because little money was involved they put it on the back burner