ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

exhaust spring kit

2002 clio 172
hi, i got the dreaded tank noise accelerating on my ph2 172 :dapprove:

bought the kit but cant get hands or tools on left bolt (looking from front of car)

got plenty of rash too on hand from the fibre glass thats near the job :mad:

now pretty cheesed off with the whole job and thought i would post on here for any advice

was thinking of taking it to local garage but last time they only done one spring and tried keeping the metal O ring and spare spring!!

any help guys?

cheers

Cut it through with an angle grinder. Is yours making a hissssss noise as you start to accelerate hard?
​Mines the same, the one bolts snapped off

2002 clio 172
Cut it through with an angle grinder. Is yours making a hissssss noise as you start to accelerate hard?

accelerating hard it sounds like a tractor ! but once the initial force is over exhaust noise back to normal,
i'm sure the O ring that was in there is now not !! rusted away i think as its a flimsy looking thing!!

Mines ok when pulling away but hisses like f*uck when you nail it!
The O ring is in there but the 1 bolt has broken off. As for cutting them, you can do it from below , the heat shields aren't in the way

2002 clio 172
the one i can get to had a job trying to undo the old nuts and it just sheared off!! was hoping to do the same on the left one but its in such a tight place cant get to it.
was thinking just use my long screwdriver and levy it till it breaks but then i got a job to get new nut on :-(

2002 clio 172
it's ONLY possible from underneath. Ideally you need a second person to help from above with holding the bolts though

so it might be best to take it to the local garage and tell them to do better job this time and fit ALL the parts i give them!!!

(this is the garage that said i got a one off engine and differant gearbox on the car that it should have lol)

Makes sense now! Me being a bit slow! Ill be buying and fitting a genuine Renault cat joint kit this week along with centre mount and rear box mount upgrade using poly bushes

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
i think he means because the exhaust is not being held by the bolts you need 2nd person to hold it , and the other to do the bolts

what? no.

unless you have 10 foot long arms, just get someone to hold the bolts still from above with a spanner/socket while you fit the springs and nuts

Surely you can do 1 nut and bolt at a time with the car up on a ramp! Just to confirm we are talking about the mani to cat joint?

​Im confusing myself here I think

172 cup
No because from underneath you cannot get your hands round to the otherside to hold the bolt while you put the springs, washers and nuts on ( unless you have 10ft arms like dan said)
I did it not so long ago.. I was underneath and i had a mate in the engine bay holding the bolts in place while i struggled to get my hands in the little space you have to put the springs ect on. Took about an hour of fiddling but got there in the end! I did it with the car up on axle stands too !