ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Exhaust drone got louder since i put new tyres on.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
When i bought my car, it came with the fattest, chubby exhaust ever. Its disgusting.
I've just not really had enough money to change it yet.
Its not that loud, but loud enough.
I've recently had the sport alloys refurbed and put new tyres on, which are like a dream.
However, when tramming down the motorway, the awful drone of the exhaust has got so loud, i genuinely feel my ears are going to start bleeding. Its only between 65 - 72mph that it does it. Its fine lower than that, and above it.
Don't know if the tyres are related to this, or whether its coincidential, but hey.
Car is a 1.2 16v, so its not like its a speed demon or anything. More like casper the friggin' ghost.
Its not blowing or anything like that, and i don't have any problems when driving on normal roads, unless again, i'm doing 65-72...
Any ideas?
Appreciated.

Mk3 clio 1.5
changing the tyres should have no effect on the exhuast. was it like it before you changed the tyres at those speeds?

145db Euro'd clio
could just be the note of the exhaust and the tyre road sort of making eachother sound louder. its like, if you have a sub, and an exhaust, sometimes the bass and exhaust hit the same note and it gets really loud all of a sudden?
not sure otherwise :S

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Wheel bolts all done up to correct torques ? I suppose they'd have fallen off by now.... worth checking though.

Have you checked the pressures when the tyres are cold (at LEAST an hour after driving)... They need to over-inflate them to get the bead to pop on.. make sure the pressures are correct for your vehicle.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
What tyres where on there before?
Some compounds are noisier than others...

renaultsport clio172
if there used tyres they might have worn funny. if they are used tyres spin the tyre and look at the tread as you spin it, look across the tread and if its bumpy and lumpy on the tread itself then they will drone like a wheel bearing. see it all the time!!

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
could just be the note of the exhaust and the tyre road sort of making eachother sound louder.
not sure otherwise :S
It does it on all roads really, no matter where i'm tramming; i understand what you're saying though.

Wheel bolts all done up to correct torques ? I suppose they'd have fallen off by now.... worth checking though.

Have you checked the pressures when the tyres are cold (at LEAST an hour after driving)... They need to over-inflate them to get the bead to pop on.. make sure the pressures are correct for your vehicle.
Yeah, they're all done up correct as far as i know, they were fitted at a garage, and only been on about 3 weeks.

What tyres where on there before?
Some compounds are noisier than others...
Just random budget ones i'm guessing, they were on the car when i got it.
I'd have thought having all the same tyres would make a journey quieter from the same tyre tread pattern?

if there used tyres they might have worn funny. if they are used tyres spin the tyre and look at the tread as you spin it, look across the tread and if its bumpy and lumpy on the tread itself then they will drone like a wheel bearing. see it all the time!!
They're brand new tyres mate. I'll have a look into wheel bearing, although it doesn't really seem like it... :/
f**king thing.

350z, Subaru Legacy
Sorry what I meant was: I had a noise that kept getting louder, I assumed it was the exhaust starting to blow or something. But it turned out to be a wheel bearing falling apart, which is not good!

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Sorry what I meant was: I had a noise that kept getting louder, I assumed it was the exhaust starting to blow or something. But it turned out to be a wheel bearing falling apart, which is not good!

Ages old thread now, but i've just got round to reading it hah.
Erm, my front wheel bearing fell apart, and so i fixed it.
However, its still making the droning noise, still about 60.
Took the rear arch liners off cause they were catching the tyres but noise still persists.
Any ideas?

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Just had 4 brand new Rainsports though.
Rear wheel bearing is fucked, and probably the cause.
Getting it over ramps on monday.
Hope that does it.

Tango'd PB 1.2 16V
Sorted.
Rear wheel bearing took 40 tonne of pressure on the press before it came out. :/
I was expecting it to fly off and take my hand with it.
Runs amazingly now.