ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Whine on MK3 Clio

RFB

BG 182 FF
I have had my 2007 Renault Clio for some time now and it has developed a whining sound when accelerating and idling. The car has done 63,000 miles and has a full service history. The car was serviced last week and the garage said to me it could be the alternator bearings or cam belt that is causing the noise.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this problem and if so how did they fix it?

Thanks

Clio MK3 Dynamique S
I had the same whine off my mk3. It was the alternator and the alternator belt tennsioner. I replaced both and there is no noise. Hope this helps

Clio MK3 Dynamique S
Im a mechanic so I got the alternator cheap at £60 and the alternator belt tennsioner kit was £70 that had to be bought from renault.

Clio MK3 Dynamique S
Yep the main noise was off the tensioner so I replaced that built it back up and there was still a small whine which was from the alternator.

S7u

Clio mk3
I would get the cam belt done if it hasn't been already, that's not something you want to leave any longer given the noise your describing! Good luck mate

RFB

BG 182 FF
I was advised to get the cambelt changed at 72,000 miles, but I was thinking of doing it at the next service.