ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine transplant...

Clio MkII 1.4 16v
This may seem like a silly idea, but bare with me. This is my first car and i was planning on making a few modifications, because you only have a first car once.

I currently own a 1.4 16v alize W-reg, its all running fine but i was thinking of replacing the engine at some point for a bit of fun. obviously this is going to take alot of work and research.

First question, forgive me if this sounds stupid, is what engines are compatible to swap with my model? i was looking at the 2.0 172, which would be lovely, but i need to know if this is going to work. Cheers.

Fabia VRS Special Ed
If you're thinking of doing a conversion then you'll pay more than what you would have for a 172/182, don't even think about not telling insurance either lol I've seen it many times before.

Btw this should be in "ClioSport Technical > Engine, Gearbox etc" forum to get better help :)

If your going to do it then IMO replace it with a none-renault engine. VAG 1.8 20vT has been done before so lots of info available.

Clio MkII 1.4 16v
If you're thinking of doing a conversion then you'll pay more than what you would have for a 172/182, don't even think about not telling insurance either lol I've seen it many times before.

Btw this should be in "ClioSport Technical > Engine, Gearbox etc" forum to get better help :)

This is a very good point, saves all the messing about too. which is a shame because i really had my mind made up lol.
and yeah i really should have posted this there. Thanks

Fabia VRS Special Ed
This is a very good point, saves all the messing about too. which is a shame because i really had my mind made up lol.
and yeah i really should have posted this there. Thanks

Exactly mate, changing the engine requires much more than just an engine change...Better brakes (including a rear disc conversion), gearbox, ECU, so forth.

Plus I'm sure you prefer the look of an RS much more :p

Stagecoach Ticket
As the duck sais if your going to be an odd ball and do a transplant put a vag lump in there can tune it easily compared to the f4r engine and it will be more unique rather than some mish mash ph1 172.

Fiesta ST-3
Think of how much work it would be then x it by ten. Just not worth it. Just keep your first car as a first car and save up for some thing nice.

RB 182
And you will be able to hear the car running, as buying a second hand engine can be a bit hit and miss.. did only 500 miles in mine before it span a bearing and cracked the block.. so far it cost me 300 for a new bottom end and 300 to get the bearings changed, new cam belt and built back up again! add that to the £350 I paid for the original engine and £300 for the ecu then £300 for the mapping.. plus all sorts of other bits and you can see how costs add up.. (not that I regret it as I don't own a clio ;) )
Unless you're doing something different you might aswell buy an original :)

Listerine & Poledo
Think of how much work it would be then x it by ten. Just not worth it. Just keep your first car as a first car and save up for some thing nice.

THIS

Bare in mind that you could well end up with an undrivable jalopy that will only lead to you making your first insurance claim even quicker, meaning from-factory-quick vehicles will be out of reasonable-reach for a while longer