ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine stalling

Clio Sport 172 phII
I have a litle bit problems here on my 172 ph2, car is stalling in trafic, on idle, when cold it runs for cca 10-15 min, and then stalls... even when it is on idle, so it doesnt matter if I drove it or it's in parking idle, and it wont fire again untill the engine gets cooled ( when stalls, after a few hours it runs again fine as there were no problems @ all )

So far I swaped new TB ( had one spare @ home - gived a try )
swaped new TDC sensor, swaped new TDC sensor loom, swaped the relays, the fuel pump working, tryed to start the car by pushing and it wont start but I can smell the gas, but wont fire :(

So far what I came to conclusion is that I dont event get ANY power to coil pack, one last thing I'll like to mentioned is that I can hear some relay clicking, and when it clicks, after a few seconds the car stalls, so is there any relay under the dash that car stop car for running/stalling or is it another thing that must get fixed, couse every electrics in car works fine ( windows, AC, mirrors, heating back window, everything ) just some relay making noises under the dash, I had a quick look under the dash and found 6 of them.. but!!! there must be more of them, couse I can hear him under the dash, but cant find where it is, under the hood all relays are working perfect - swaped

for thoes that might think of the immobiliser, that works fine, when locked, it flashes as it soud, when turning the key, flash is gone, no fast flashing...

Clio Sport 172 phII
Got new infos...

the car was tested and so far its TDC sensor, ECU does not recive signal from TDC sensor, BUT!!!! TDC sensor is brand new from renault, so... what can cause that signal lost from TDC sensor.. as far as I saw.. there are 2 wires form TDC sensor, and only one wire is going into ECU :dead:,or is it that bouth TDC sensor are " broken ", I tested bouth sensors with ohm meter, and bouth are @ 220 ohm, true... I never did tested them when " hot "

any suggestion woud be nice... THX ;)

Clio Sport 172 phII
Problem is back :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

I thought it was coil pack, couse old was was broken, BUT it is not!!!!

so, once again here is problem..

When the engine is cold it starts fine, when engine gets to optimal temperature engine stalls and you cant start engine for next few hours, so.. everything says that's TDC sensor, I tryed 2 brand new ones, even from my mates car ( clio 182 ) and it's still nothing..

BUT!!! as I sad before.. when car stalls ( idle or driving doesnt matter ) ECU does not read any engine speed and couse of that it cant spark!!!! BUT when you leave engine to cool down it reads and it stalls in next couple of minutes, so pls if anyone has any ideas...

Da

Less
Coolant temperature sensor?

I'm having similar issues and that has been suggested to me.

172 Ph1
Was the ref to the tdc sensor in the fault memory?
If so renault have gold plated these terminals for the reason of bad contact with the tdc sensor, do you have these one's fitted

Clio Sport 172 phII
@da,

It has been suggested to me, but that's impossible couse engine stalls when gets to optimum temperature...
When the ECU receives a cold signal from the coolant sensor, it increases injector pulse width (on time) to create a richer fuel mixture. This improves idle quality and prevents hesitation while the cold engine is warming up. As the engine approaches normal operating temperature, the ECU leans out the fuel mixture to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. A faulty coolant sensor that always reads cold may cause the fuel control system to run rich, pollute and waste fuel. A coolant sensor that always reads hot may cause cold driveability problems such as stalling, hesitation and rough idle.

@barnesautos,
the only thing that is in fault memory is acoustic valve ( couse it's removed )
I have changed 2 new and one old TDC sensor, and instaled new loom ( TDC is about 30 quid, and loom for TDC is aobut 34 quid ) hmm... what gold plated terminals do you mean? the " blue " loom for TDC or!?
as I sad before.. on " live " diagnose when engine stalled only thing that is missing is the engine speed, and without that info ECU does not know when to spark...

172 Ph1
Check the fuse and relay box in the engine bay , relays are for engine management and imobiliser maybe an issue down there.

So are we clear after it stalls will it or wont it fire up

Yes blue connector has gold plated terminals

Clio Sport 172 phII
Check the fuse and relay box in the engine bay , relays are for engine management and imobiliser maybe an issue down there.

So are we clear after it stalls will it or wont it fire up

Yes blue connector has gold plated terminals

I have switched relays once before, but.. tomorow I will take my mates ( clio 182 ) all his relays and put it into mine...

After it stalls it wont fire up untill " something " is cooled down ( read: for next few hours it wont fire )

yes blue connector has been changed...

:(

172 Ph1
I have switched relays once before, but.. tomorow I will take my mates ( clio 182 ) all his relays and put it into mine...

After it stalls it wont fire up untill " something " is cooled down ( read: for next few hours it wont fire )

yes blue connector has been changed...

:(

It certainly sound like a resistance problem measure the tdc sensor across the twp pins when its not firing you should see roughly 250ohms if not its a porked sensor

Check wiriing under gearbox mount for rubbing loom also

Clio Sport 172 phII
It certainly sound like a resistance problem measure the tdc sensor across the twp pins when its not firing you should see roughly 250ohms if not its a porked sensor

Check wiriing under gearbox mount for rubbing loom also

all sensors are @ 220-225 ohms, and my " old " one is 221ohms, even tryed form my mates clio 182, same problems, so it's not TDC sensor

Clio Sport 172 phII
Was that a hot reading if so

ok thats confirmed that. wiring then/or relays i thinks

yep when engine stalled, I will try relays tomorow, if it's not relays, then it is probably wiring from TDC to ECU, or it's ECU, I cant think any other sensor that can cause engine speed data...