ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine sounds like its whining

Alright all

as you all know ive had my motor for a few days now and loving every minute of it. HOwever, a few things have come to my attention and wondered what you all think.

The engine makes a kind of whining sound - similar to a washing machine slowing down after a spin cycle or a quiet hoover being used a few rooms away. I only hear it when i press the accelerator and the windows are down and its not loud just there in the background. I am assuming this is just the natural soud of the engine and it s nothing to worry about. I am right ? Do any of you notice it too?
I remember going for a spin in a m8s Impreza Turbo a long time ago and it also had this similar whining engine pitch.

Ive read a few things about the clunky gear/clutch in this forum. Mine does this at very low speeds in first gear when pulling away for the first drive of the day. My mates said they couldnt hear anything from outside when i drove off but i heard it from the inside. Is it really the ABS self test and nothing to worry about? As mentioned in the thread below.

http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=153341&SearchPagePosition=1&search=clunk&searchMode=allwords&searchIn=Topic&forum=2&searchSort=dateDESC&ReturnPage=Search

Thanks

Wan

172cup

ok first of all... its a reno

secondly... its a new car

thisll happen. still happens on mine even at 35,000

worry about it when the engine makes no noise at all. Cos thatll happen too

VaVa

They do tend to whine a little. Not sure if its a belt making the noise or something. My 172 has done it since new. i seem to notice it more when its cold for some reason...

Not a Clio

might want to check your cambelt isnt on too tight. Mine sounded like a supercharger when the garage messed up.

mine does it too but its just developed it over the last couple of thousand miles.

As for the clunky change on the first drive of the day, ive got that too and its got steadily worse. Theres a knock/pinking sensor that needs replacing. According to the garage, its directly related.

Quote: Originally posted by _simon_ on 25 June 2005
might want to check your cambelt isnt on too tight. Mine sounded like a supercharger when the garage messed up.

Simon. If the cambelt is too tight would this have any negative effect on the performance? Or would ityou think it might have other effects on the life of the cambelt itself?

Ta

Quote: Originally posted by soepy on 25 June 2005 knock/pinking sensor that needs replacing.

Could you expand on this please. I aint got a clue what youre trying to explain.

Ta

[Edited by Wan82 on 6/25/2005 10:27:13 PM]

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

maybe just maybe if your lucky someone randomy put a turbo on it 4 you
.have you noticed any diffrence?

Quote: Originally posted by Wan82 on 25 June 2005

Quote: Originally posted by soepy on 25 June 2005
knock/pinking sensor that needs replacing.

Could you expand on this please. I aint got a clue what youre trying to explain.

Ta

[Edited by Wan82 on 6/25/2005 10:27:13 PM]
It started when the engine warning light came on on the dash. The AA said the ECU had picked up a knock which means it misfired at some point.

This made sense cos i set off with a cold engine that morning and it felt like a cylinder was missing for a moment or two.

He cleared the fault and reccomended i take it in if it lights up again.

The misfire has got more regular - appearing even when its warm now - culminating in the light coming on again, so it was booked in and the garage said its the pinking sensor that needs replacing. They had to order the part so its going back in 2morrow

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member

lol the 1st time i got that exact noise it kept getting worse and worse untill i sounded like a space ship. soi went to renault and it ended up being my power steerin pump. nevermind. now iv got what your talking about and like it

BMW M3

You should try a mini.... the power steering whine would drive me up the wall. You can hear it a mile off!!!