ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Remapping - R26 / 225

SLK 350
With reference to the various methods of remapping an R26 [RS Tuning etc], is there any data yet on whether the work adversely affects the longevity of the engine [increased wear rate]?

If you were buying an R26, would you be put off from buying a premapped car?

Has anybody heard any horror stories of failures/bills attributed to mapping?

Ta

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldnt get 1 if it was mapped over 250 bhp. Its gotta put more stress on the motor?
No experience of it tho. Im not a fan of engine tuning past the usual exhaust/ filter combo.

White Sti Hatch
Wouldn't buy a pre tuned car unless there was proof of where it was done & it was a reputable company

C32 AMG Estate
Ive run my Meg Trophy, with an RS Tuning Stage 1 for about two and a half years and a Stage 2 for about 18 months with no problems at all ! All in all about 30,000 miles!

The only problem i see is that if you have a warranty issue, and its been re mapped. Renault will kick the warranty claim out.

They can tell if a car has had a re-map. And if its an engine faliure then its big bucks !!

And yes i do know of an R26 that lunched its engine, and Renault refused to pay out.

C32 AMG Estate
Each car will have very different results ! Mines stage 2 with around 260hp and the stage 1 was 250, but some have had high 270's! Its quite difficult for them to tell its been mapped ! If your worried get the remote box and take the map off when it goes to the garage !

Stage 2 maps are more about the torque increase ! Mine was 275ftlb on stage 1 and 310ftlb on stage 2 which in total is about 80ftlb more than standard, and about 40hp more than standard (220hp)

BMW E92/Audi S3
Each car will have very different results ! Mines stage 2 with around 260hp and the stage 1 was 250, but some have had high 270's! Its quite difficult for them to tell its been mapped ! If your worried get the remote box and take the map off when it goes to the garage !

Someone on MS had 261 out of Stage 1 ;) Lucky cnuts.

I would buy a Stage one thats had a map by a popular company.
Not one of these backstreet places "Brap Speed" etc..

C32 AMG Estate
Someone on MS had 261 out of Stage 1 ;) Lucky cnuts.

I would buy a Stage one thats had a map by a popular company.
Not one of these backstreet places "Brap Speed" etc..

Yeah Paul at RS Tuning knows what hes on ! Hes got 307hp out of a Meg 250 with a straght map already (with a prtnering company in France) so fair amount of potential there !!

His R26R with hybrid Turbo is over 300hp and 360ftlb !

Lionel Richie
Has anybody heard any horror stories of failures/bills attributed to mapping?

Ta

yep, there's one bunch of cowboys knocking about who haven't got a clue what they're doing with the meganes, i've heard of some nasty repair bills!

stick to the boys who know them

Definately some cowboys about. I know of one that had £30k spent on it, and the state it was in it would have pretty much been better standard!

Lionel Richie
^that's the same lot i'm on about!

piggy back ecu + a manual boost valve = £30k thankyouplease

oh and it had less power than standard IIRC!