ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ENGINE OIL

Hi all,

Not had the car long but noticed I'm drinking oil fast;

06/03/2011 - filled it to 1/2 way between marks on stick.
5 [] ON TRIP
MILEAGE - 52174
1 LITRE 0/40W IN

29/03/2011
Mileage - 52920 - 746 miles later.

Trip saying out
Dipstick below min.

Both measures taken with Hot engine.

No oil on the drive at all, any thoughts?
I've owned 1*2 before and not noticed this much Oil use.

Last edited:
So I've used 1 litre of Oil in 746 miles, although I see checking hot oil is not suggested, I will let it cool down completely and then see where it sits.

monaco 172
yeh try again with the engine cold as if its hot then itl all still be up in the engine. but there should still be some on the stick

i noticed mine uses quite a bit of oil, runs fine though so i just keep an eye on it and top it up when required

Luck of the draw, some do, some dont, basically any engine (other than rotary engines) that uses oil is in some way is not 100% (if theres no leaks or obvious cause), be it piston rings or values or whatever, but mines been using oil for 60k+ of hard driving, similar sort of usage to yours and its going strong and runs great. Just keep it topped up, mines always to the max i top up so regular....

Ive tried numerous grades and qualities of oil in mine, including 300V and it still usings anything at the same rate, so im back on halfords 5w40.

Last edited:
Thanks guys but mine might be more sinister; Rocker Bolts leaking?

P1010409.jpg

P1010405.jpg

P1010397.jpg

P1010395.jpg

I've found another thread and it's expensive to fix, any thoughts?

Luck of the draw, some do, some dont, basically any engine (other than rotary engines) that uses oil is in some way is not 100% (if theres no leaks or obvious cause), be it piston rings or values or whatever, but mines been using oil for 60k+ of hard driving, similar sort of usage to yours and its going strong and runs great. Just keep it topped up, mines always to the max i top up so regular....

Ive tried numerous grades and qualities of oil in mine, including 300V and it still usings anything at the same rate, so im back on halfords 5w40.

I Bet yours doesn't have this reservoir of oil sitting on the engine.

I think the first picture with the fresh oil could be spillage from when I topped it up last, I'm going to clean it down and monitor it.

ITB'd MK1
looks like your engine is primarily using oil through leakage. However, you've put the wrong grade in, and this may well be burning faster

aye mine was the same, under Renault warranty and they insisted it was the oil canister (which it isn't and confirmed by Fred @ BTM), so i'm waiting for it to build up again before i go back and get them to redo the rocker (aka cambelt!)

182Cup, MinesGTR R35
My 182cup started burning oil not badly thow but you could smell burning oil and it was smoking when I planted my foot, then a while later I broke my sump and I had to replace the sump and sump gasket my self... This sorted the smoking out the exhausts, the burning smell on hard acceleration and the oil consumption... It must have been the oil presure on hard accelaration coursing the oil to come trough the sump gasket and burn off on the manifold as the manifold had an oil stain on just behind the sump...

Clio 197
if its just the rocker cover gasket it wont be expensive i wouldnt have thought, havent done it myself but i imagine it would be a DIY job. Oh and check it when its cold not hot

Most of them leak there a bit, mine does aswell, its definately not your cause of your litres worth of oil......else it would definately be pissing all over the engine and the odd drip on the floor i shouldnt wonder and your bay would look a total mess after a few thousand mines at that consumption.

Ive had everything done by Ktec....cambelt, dephaser, replacement cams (as mine were bent at the ends by previous owner knackering the slots), so the gasket will have been redone on mine, i still have little pools if i look closely not as bad as yours but definately there.

As stated above 0W is fine, i guess it would be possible for it to leak past the rings when cold on a worn engine, id stick to 5W-40 mind you. Mine burns oil atleast a litre every 500 - 700, but my mates 172 cup doesnt burn a drop.

Also check your plugs, id like to bet one of them is considerably more sooty than all the others.......it is on mine, and in my case i think ive either got a worn piston ring or a scored lining on this cylinder. Ill be able to say for sure shortly as im swopping the block out and rebuilding.....

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
erm how does 0W40 burn faster than 5W40?

and 0W40 is a correct grade for the 172 (infact better than 5W40)

like water when it's cold. it's the same difference with an F7R/P between 5w40 and 10w40, they just consume the thinner oil at an alarming rate, when in theory there's only a small difference

Lionel Richie
It's worth trying some 5/40 then, thanks.

no

like water when it's cold. it's the same difference with an F7R/P between 5w40 and 10w40, they just consume the thinner oil at an alarming rate, when in theory there's only a small difference

its EXACTLY the same viscosity when hot

so the F7 engines drink 5W40 quicker than 10W40?

there is no way any engine can leak/use 1L of oil in 700 miles, then by changing oil to a different grade it magically stops