ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Oil Light & Stop Light *FRED*

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
These both come on when the car is cold :(

Checked the oil level before starting this morning and the oil level was fine but the 2 lights still came on till the engine was at its optimum running temprature!

Also took the oil cap off to see if the top of the engine was 'dry' but it was fine!!

BTW the engine's on 97k not sure if thats relevent..

Any idea's??

Gaz ;)

Lionel Richie
turn the key and wait for it to say oil ok, then press the wee trip re-set stalk poking out the dials, what does it say??

should be 0000000

if its 0000--- thats ok

if its ------- = bad

Lionel Richie
clean up the connector to the low pressure switch, apart from that, if the lights go out wen you rev it

oil pumpen ist fookend, dast ist not gud

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Checked the oil level before starting this morning and the oil level was fine but the 2 lights still came on till the engine was at its optimum running temprature!

How did you check it? With a dipstick or just by looking at the dashboard display?

What does the oil level sensor show when you switch her on?

If you press the reset button what does it show? "OOOOOO" or "OOOO--", or "OO----"?

Could be that your level is low compounded by the fact that you're on a slight hill.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
coming up ooooooooo

where's the connector to the low pressure switch?

probably need a pic :)

Lionel Richie
front of the block, you might have to whip off the fuel rail cover
DSC_0047-2.jpg

Lionel Richie
i honnestly can't remember! i think so

the top one is the knock sensor
and the bottom one is the level sensor

a few months of not playing with them and you forget!

BMW M135i
Freds right green one. Surefire way to test the pump would be pressure gauge in that port if it looks bad.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
mine was doing this randomly. got alex at carlton to check it out and replaced the oil pressure switch (green one) and its fine now. and has been for lots of miles.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
so if the switch is faulty will any damage be done if its not replaced?

not too sure myself i was in contact with them about it and got told to check certain things.... and if all was well then there shouldnt be a problem just keep an ear out for funny noises and dont drive hard just in case. did a fair few miles like that as well before i could get it sorted

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
turn the key and wait for it to say oil ok, then press the wee trip re-set stalk poking out the dials, what does it say??

should be 0000000

if its 0000--- thats ok

if its ------- = bad
went from

ooooooo 3 days ago to
ooooo-- yesterday to
oo----- today

problem?????

:(

None
I had same problem They went off when i revved car
Renault just said it was the Sensors had gone

£15 for the sensor
£50 For half hours labour

ITB'd MK1
I think you need a new oil pump pretty sharpish, but you it's worth trying a new oil filter first. Sometimes non genuine oil filters dont have the correct non-return valving in them so they dont hold oil when the engine isn't running. This means oil pressure (measured post filter normally) can take a little while to build on startup.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5

should be 0000000

if its 0000--- thats ok

if its ------- = bad
went from

ooooooo 3 days ago to
ooooo-- yesterday to
oo----- today

problem?????

:(

I had same problem They went off when i revved car
Renault just said it was the Sensors had gone

£15 for the sensor
£50 For half hours labour
did ur display do the same as above?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
I think you need a new oil pump pretty sharpish, but you it's worth trying a new oil filter first. Sometimes non genuine oil filters dont have the correct non-return valving in them so they dont hold oil when the engine isn't running. This means oil pressure (measured post filter normally) can take a little while to build on startup.
what kinda price am i talkin about for both mate?

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
is the oil pump an easy job or 1 for the pro's?

i could do the filter no probs!