ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine oil in 172/182's

Clio 172 cup mk2
hi guys,
im hopefully (touch wood) picking up my new car, a 172 cup on friday!!!
anyways just wanted to know what oil some of you are using as I like to use high quality oil. anyone running mobil 1 fully synthetic or castrol etc and what grade oil are people happy with? was thinking about 5-50 or 10-50 because of the warm weather. i dont want to set of a big debate just want to know who's running what oil in there 172/182. thanks and hope to post some pics up on friday if all goes well!

53 Clio's & counting
iv just put some quantum synta gold 5w 40 fully synth in mine,runs lovely on it and doesnt use a drop even on 102 k :)

i chose this oil coz i get it free from work lol

RenaultSport clio 182
shell helix ultra 5w/40 fully synth. i get it for nowt as i work for an oil distributor. perk of the job.

R

rich[182]

Silkolene Pro S 5W-40, best oil I've ever used, quieter idle, runs smoother and just runs so much better esp when engine hot

I'd previously used Shell Helix Ultra but GDI used Silkolene on my 36k service on my 172 last year, noticeable difference imo, just put some in my 182 at 12k service last week, again a difference to what dealer put in it when I bought a few months ago

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/silkolene.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
  K20 EG Hatch
rich[182];2714384 said:
Silkolene Pro S 5W-40, best oil I've ever used, quieter idle, runs smoother and just runs so much better esp when engine hot

Agree! What mine has been on from new....

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Silkolene Pro S 5w-40 for me as well in my 182 , not cheap but supposedly one of the best . I always used Comma Syner-G 5w-40 fully synthetic in my 172 , its only about £28 for 5 litres whereas the silkolene is around £50 , but i got mine cheap from http://www.opieoils.co.uk when there was a special offer on .

Clio 172 cup mk2
thanks guys think i will be using fully synthetic for sure and i might give this silkolene a try, not used it before
:)

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
i personally run 10W40 semi in mine

what brand is it? thx.

I always put Mobil 1 0W40 any problems with that?

also added once Liquimoly ceratec. it lasts around 30k in the engine. Supposed to protect the engine from the cold scratches and etc. Later I realized car has hydraulic valve tuppets and stop using additives which might easily clogg the fine channels there.

Clio 172 mk2
silkolenes marketing penetration has paid off then lol.

Don't know about that....Apparently it's a 'proper' synthetic oil wich is why I went for it.

I've been using my car a lot recently and one thing I've noticed with the Silkolene is it's still bloody clean....cleaner than I can remember any other oil I've used being after a similar amount of time.

I've used Shell Helix Ultra 5/40w in my old Subaru without problems though and that produced far more heat than the Clio.

Lionel Richie
i personally run 10W40 semi in mine

what brand is it? thx.

I always put Mobil 1 0W40 any problems with that?

also added once Liquimoly ceratec. it lasts around 30k in the engine. Supposed to protect the engine from the cold scratches and etc. Later I realized car has hydraulic valve tuppets and stop using additives which might easily clogg the fine channels there.

i just use 10W40 A1 motorstores stuff £10 for 5l semi syn (that in my cup engine)

my V6 get elf 5W40

my 1.9D gets the cheapest stuff their is!

it seems people read the marketing schpeel on oil bottles!!!!!

R

rich[182]

No marketing for moi, only came across it when GDI used it on my service, engine never ran as smooth in previous 36k, parted with the 172 a few wks later as I was after a 182, vowed when I had my first service with the 182 I'd use it, also fell on the opie oils sale, same outcome again in that engine is much quieter at idle, feels smoother and just runs so well, see no reason to use anything else now

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
When i bought my 182 from new i had top it up a few times in the first couple of months , changed the oil for silkolene at 4k and never needed to bother since . So i'm happy with the silkolene .

Each to their own i guess :)

Oh, it is a good oil, dont get me wrong.

And where do you think GDI heard of it, digging up the depths of tribologists annual?

Opie oils pushed silkolene hard, and alot of people use it as its fantastically cheap at trade prices, profit margins are in the region of £10-15 per service.

I used to use it, but i found it needed regular changing, but my twin turbo scoob did live on a single sump full for 10k, although i had a weeping front crank seal so i topped up reguarly.

Silkolene is relatively new in the car market and they are pushing their 'relatively' new double ester.

I use shell helix ultra now for general servicing and royal purple/amsoil for anything fancy.

A4 oil burner !!!
i have been using motul fully synthetic 300v power 5w 40 from opie oils any good ?
seems good to me !

A4 oil burner !!!
Ben how easy would it be to fit an oil temp gauge to my cup ?
just so i know how hot it should be before i give it death !
Also would it be an expensive outlay

williams 2
Silkoline GTi oil was available back in the 90's Will Gallop used to use it in his Grp B 205 turbo. Its a good quality oil and better than most oils used in a normal service

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Silkolene pro s 5/40w in mine as well:smiley:
Realise this was a while back, but Halfords do Silkolene Pro 4 Plus oil 5w40, but say its for bikes only
Does that matter? Engine oil is engine oil is it not? Pricey too, but like to try something else when i change oil in couple weeks

PH2 172
Realise this was a while back, but Halfords do Silkolene Pro 4 Plus oil 5w40, but say its for bikes only
Does that matter? Engine oil is engine oil is it not? Pricey too, but like to try something else when i change oil in couple weeks
Not so much for bikes only, more a case of wet clutch friendly.
Mine has not exploded on Halfords own brand 5/40 fully synthetic, bought 3 x 4litres when it was on offer @ £12 a while ago.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

The old Silkolene range for cars was rebranded and is now just Fuchs Titan IIRC.

Despite the flashy bottles/advertising I don't think the oil was ever actually that great, fairly run of the mill stuff with some pretty colour.

mk1 Octavia VRS
The old Silkolene range for cars was rebranded and is now just Fuchs Titan IIRC.

Despite the flashy bottles/advertising I don't think the oil was ever actually that great, fairly run of the mill stuff with some pretty colour.

If you're talking about Ester Synthetic oil then it is better, but whether it's noticeable/worth it on a 1*2 is a different matter.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea Ester oil is generally better, more suited to high performance and race application though.
I can't remember if they brought out the Ester oil in the Silkolene range or during the change though?

Either way I've been using ECP's Triple QX oil in my 182, mainly because it's fully synth and compatible with PD engines as well.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah ive been using the ECP tripple oil to as its good value if you change the oil every so often.

But is there any other oil that makes the 172 engine run quiter and smoother?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
That Tripple QX is utter fcuking sh1t.

Use Renault oil or Fuchs, I'll only use Fuchs oil in all of my cars/van.

Yeah guess so mate,was just cheap option as i change it every few months.But reading up on oils,i read that some make it run quiter or smoother.So looking at mid budget options as i change it every 4 months i would say.
So Maybe Elf,Shell,Motul and fuchs oils like you have mentioned.
Just so many options now!.