ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine oil and filter

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey.

The serv light popped up and sure enough the oil is on the verge of empty. Was filled at end of April so no idea where its gone but not to worry.

I got a new oil filter to replace and I was wondering what the process is?

I have never changed the oil filter on a car before, so any guidance will be appreciated.

Also what oil do we use in the 172?

172 cup, Impreza P1
Get the engine up to temp,
turn off ignition,
place tray under sump large enough to hold 7 or 8 ltrs,
remove sump plug,
refit sump plug,
remove oil filter,
fill new oil filter with oil until it stops absorbing any more,
fit new oil filter,
fill with new fully synthetic 5w40 oil of choice,

Stand back and admire your handy work.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok thanks all.
How many Liters will it take?

Noticed my gearbox is leaking around its plug too so will renew it's washer and oil

Cliosport 172 cu
The sump plug are square so get ya self down Halfords and buy a set if you ain't mate.

Gearbox oil get from renault as with engine oil it's better than the cheap crap.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The Serv light is only for electronic faults, so you must've had "OIL" flashing on display screen?

Yea. The serv light popped up and then I noticed it said Oil on the display with lines. Which from experience meant low. Checked and there was nothing on dipstick bar a tiny drop.

The oil filter was loose... I simply undid it with my hand with no struggling at all. I think it was leaking slightly from there.

The gearbox oil was leaking from the plug, so drained it and replaced the washer and refilled. I did this in may so Imo was due as I plan to do this every 6 months because the gearbox is whineing.

Engine oil was a nice dark shade, considering it was replaced in may I was surprised. That's all fresh now.

I also took the opportunity to replace the spark plugs, to my surprise two of the 4 were loose!
I put the tool on them and I could undo them with my fingers!!!!

Also they were very old looking bosch ones. Now it has some nice NGK ones fitted.

a lot of oil in the plugs holes, the two loose ones had a nice collection of black oil at the bottom. I cleaned this out the best I could and put the new plugs in and tightend then as much as I dared.. They could go more but I didn't want to risk anything.

runs sweet. Going to take her out for a quick run down to Leicester later :)

FF Clio 182
Does anyone else think the location of the oil filter is stupid. The fact it is tilted backwards so pours all it's contents over the block whilst you undoing it ?