ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine not running normally (misfiring?)

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
Any help would be appreciated... will try to describe the best I can..

Car is a Clio 1.2 16v.

The car starts up fine, when idling the car is unsettled and when I look at the gear stick, it is shaking more than usual. When I give the car some revs, up to about 2k, it sounds like it's missing and unsettled. Also I think there's a blowing noise coming from the exhaust?

When driving, in gear one, pulling off it's kind of juddery, then when put into second, the car seems to lose a little power and a few times has nearly stalled. There seems to be an overall slight loss of power also.

A mechanic has looked at it and couldn't work it out. It's booked in at Renault to be plugged in to determine the problem but in the middle of March.. :dapprove:

Any ideas to what it could be?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
You can buy handheld "obd 2 scanner" for 20 quid off ebay, I've got one but tbh I find it a bit s**t.

Common problems are the coilpacks go on the 1.2s. In 4th gear for example if you put your foot down does it feel very lumpy and misfire?

Chris.B

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GT TDi
You can buy handheld "obd 2 scanner" for 20 quid off ebay, I've got one but tbh I find it a bit s**t.

Common problems are the coilpacks go on the 1.2s. In 4th gear for example if you put your foot down does it feel very lumpy and misfire?

It's had the coilpack replaced. Probably about 15,000 miles ago though. In second, third and fourth it feels lumpy and misfires I think. When idle and revving to 2k, it sounds lumpy, above 3k sounds/feels ok (I think) :dapprove:

So what has been replaced? only the coilpack?

Has it been plugged into a propper diagnostics? Might be easier to see if its one thing and replace rather than keep guessing as it can get expensive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would be surprised if renault achieve much other than charging you lots of money TBH mate, obviously each dealer is different but in general they are pretty useless with these older renault sport cars.

I would try and book it in with Danlp6 in street if I were you!