ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine needed, which ones will fit?

Octavia vRS tfsi
People of ClioSport, I salute you.

Now that the niceties are out of the way, I am in need of a new engine for my ph1. Whether Renault will be rebuilding mine free through gritted teeth or I am stuck with having to replace it myself has yet to be determined but I may aswell begin to look. Will the engine from a ph2 fit no problem and everything is hunky dorey once I fit my cable TB? Is there any need to be faffing about with wiring or ecu to make it work, just a simple one out one in job?

Secondly, where the bloody hell do I begin to search for an engine in the UK as there sure as hell are none in Ireland and only a handful on ebay?

Thanks,
Ian

Lionel Richie
all 172/182 engines are interchangeable between cars, just the inlet from your car needs to be used

wiring etc is all unplug, plug in, bang off you go

what happened to your engine?

Octavia vRS tfsi
A long story made supremely short is the car went in to a main dealer with an undiagnosed problem - loud top end rattle. Timing belt tensioner failed but didn't come off. Renault assured me that no possible internal damage could have been done. TB job cost nearly €1000 to do. 130miles/2 hours after leaving the dealers the car dropped a valve.

Was brought to the nearest main dealer who checked and assured the dealer that did the work that the timing tools lined up, so they have subsequently told me tough luck basically. When the car arrived at the independent the TB had been removed so their claim can't be verified. Head is stripped and the indy reckons that contact must have been made when the initial problem was encountered.

My claim is that a misdiagnosed problem has now written off the engine as opposed to a correctly diagnosed problem which would have left an expensive but substantially lesser bill than I'm now facing. Remains to be seen what'll happen, we're in the cranky letter phase!

clio sport ph1 172
all clio sport engines are the same you just need to change your throttle body over as the ph 2's have electric throttles and ph 1's have a cable. other than that everything is the same.

Octavia vRS tfsi
At least that opens up my choice of replacement engines. Next question though is where do I start looking for one?

1. Cliosport
2. Ebay
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Petrol Blue 182.
scrap yard, renault breakers yard, buy a doner car i.e a write off or something along the lines

Octavia vRS tfsi
Will hopefully putting a call through for an engine tomorrow afternoon. Is there anything in particular I should look at getting done to the car while the first engine is out and before the second one goes in?

New engine will be arriving on a pallet and will get new timing belt, tensioners, water pump, oil, filter, plugs, coolant. New clutch is going in, original was on 99k, might as well put a new one in seeing as the box and engine will be split.

Any other genius ideas out there?