ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount bolt causing problems?

Mk5 Golf Gti
Hi guys,

Looking for someone to shed some light on a slight issue im having!

I have discovered a loose engine mount bolt (Only one of 3) which wont tighten properly, having taken it out I have discovered the engine mount itself is missing thread off the bottom. How big of a job is it to get this thread fixed etc?

Also, as I was setting off in first gear last night the clutch pedal made a judder/vibration that I felt through my foot, it only did this once on the way home and didn't do it every-time, could this be due to the engine mount bolt or is this a separate problem completely?

Thanks guys!

Joe

Last edited:
  Mk5 Golf Gti
This is not a picture of my engine bay just one off the internet, but I have circled which bolt is loose!

clio182_zpsede6c129.jpg

Mk5 Golf Gti
I have only had the car the best part of 3 days, So when I noticed it was loose I went to tighten it and it was just loosening after a certain point again!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
easiest way is get hold of another middle cambelt cover and bolt it on to replace the threaded one tbh

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
probably not as if the other two bolts are tight then there wont be any play in that joint

however if the rubber parts of the mounts are worn (not just that engine mount, but any of them) could be causing the issue. although usually you'll feel that through the whole car, not just the pedal so hard to say really

Mk5 Golf Gti
probably not as if the other two bolts are tight then there wont be any play in that joint

however if the rubber parts of the mounts are worn (not just that engine mount, but any of them) could be causing the issue. although usually you'll feel that through the whole car, not just the pedal so hard to say really

The other two bolts are definitely tight as i checked them both too, hmm it only happened once and then I didn't notice it again so ill take it out tonight and see if i can feel anything!

Thank you mate, ill have a look into getting a new cambelt cover, so it would be easier to do that than it would be to get the thread redone on the cover that is already there?

Cheers guys!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
it'll be easier and a better fix mate, helicoil on an engine mount is less than ideal and its a reasonably simple job to swap the cover over

Mk5 Golf Gti
it'll be easier and a better fix mate, helicoil on an engine mount is less than ideal and its a reasonably simple job to swap the cover over

Okay bud, excuse me if this sound stupid but the bolt itself is going through the engine block isn't it? So if I replace the cover, it will still be going through the engine block and it looks like its the engine block where the thread is gone?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

and yet its good enough for aero applications. I would helicoil that and it'll be stronger than standard.