ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine mods ph1 172 for rallying ?

transit van, ph2 172
i am building a ph1 172 rally car and looking for mods to help gain a bit extra
i will need to run std injection system but it can be remapped etc
i hear such things as
182 exhaust manifolds
182 inlet manifolds
a bigger throttle body off what iam not sure?
i can get parts machined etc so open to all ideas

172 Track Car
It's not the answer you want but I would go rallying without modding the engine and then decide if you want more power.

transit van, ph2 172
i know what your saying mate and its a good point but while the thing is in bits i thought i could do the work easier and spread the cost, most of my old rally cars were std engines but uprated gearboxes, the box for a clio will have to wait,

BG Clio 182 FF
i know what your saying mate and its a good point but while the thing is in bits i thought i could do the work easier and spread the cost, most of my old rally cars were std engines but uprated gearboxes, the box for a clio will have to wait,

Hi mate,

Nice to see someone from near me on here :)

Is it the 172 cup? Or a regular 172?

transit van, ph2 172
hello mate, not too far away at all, do you compete?
its a mix match of bits but the running gear is ph1 172 for the throttle cable set up rather than fly by wire,
cheers for the links ive already bought a cup aux belt set up to remove air con and also bought a electric coloumn and controller unit, to help de clutter the engine bay, also looking at moving battery and ecu inside the car,
matched manifolds seem a easy one to sort but i hear people fitting 197 ones instead?

BG Clio 182 FF
hello mate, not too far away at all, do you compete?
its a mix match of bits but the running gear is ph1 172 for the throttle cable set up rather than fly by wire,
cheers for the links ive already bought a cup aux belt set up to remove air con and also bought a electric coloumn and controller unit, to help de clutter the engine bay, also looking at moving battery and ecu inside the car,
matched manifolds seem a easy one to sort but i hear people fitting 197 ones instead?

Hi Paul,

No I don't compete. Just track days.

197 cams people fit - although there are only a few people "in the know" that know how to time them up properly. Dan@SJM and Michael Woodford Motorsport are the one's I know of. A mild cam though. Catcam 421's would be a better for a rally car.

Matched inlets are a good option but i've not heard of 197 one's being used.