ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Coolent Change

1.4 Dynamique
Now guys, just got a car today and just checked the engine coolent and its quite murky it looks worse on the outside than it actually is lol , I have checked the oil and it looks fine to me.

I was just wondering on whats the best way to flush it out. Im a student and not really up to the level of your knowledge yet lol, heard the best way was to put a hose in there until its all out then refill it.

I attatched some pics so you guys can see.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
Tom

Attachments

• Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 42.jpg
    Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 42.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 25.jpg
    Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 25.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 08.jpg
    Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 18 08.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 23
  • Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 17 48.jpg
    Mobile Photo 30 Mar 2010 19 17 48.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 22
Haynes manual should cover it. it depends upon the way the circulation runs - usually need to remove the top and bottom rad hoses to flush the rad, and mebbe the thermostat/housing to flush the engine

what is it? someone might be able to advise specific procedure

Evo 6, E92 320d
Ideally you will want a full flush otherwise the new coolant will look murky again in no time.

1.4 Dynamique
Haynes manual should cover it. it depends upon the way the circulation runs - usually need to remove the top and bottom rad hoses to flush the rad, and mebbe the thermostat/housing to flush the engine

what is it? someone might be able to advise specific procedure

Cheers for the help guys, looks like ill invest in a Haynes manual then, its a 1.4 dynamique, was going to do it tommorow before work, not sure how long it would take though.

Cheers

:approve:

Lots of Alfas
Bleed it by disconnecting the lower rad hose, and open the bleed screw on the thermostat. Then put the hose back on, refill with new coolant leaving the bleed screw open, close the screw when coolant flows out with no air in it, then keep refilling until the bottle is full, go for a drive, let it warm up, turn the heater on, then refill if necessary.

Lots of Alfas
Forgot to say, use the Renault approved type D stuff, or the red advanced stuff from halfords will be ok.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Dave does removing the lower rad hose remove ALL the coolant? What is the best way to flush it, run a hose up the rad?

1.4 Dynamique
Forgot to say, use the Renault approved type D stuff, or the red advanced stuff from halfords will be ok.

ok :D sorted I think, 7 litres of the stuff is needed right? ill give it a go probably be back here tommorow night with coolant leaking everywhere haha

Thanks Again

Suzuki Ignis
And if you want the bottle looking clean, Ive heard you can give it a scrub to loosen up the bits and then stick it in the dishwasher.

Westy. MX5
Dave does removing the lower rad hose remove ALL the coolant? What is the best way to flush it, run a hose up the rad?

Yes, undo bottom hose and top hose and flush through both ways with yer garden hose and flush out the filler/bottle, even better take of the bottle and clean it out thoroughly in the sink. I could not access the bleed screw without removing the airfilter box. so-----

1. refill with Halfords advanced ready mix.
2. Leave the filler cap off, turn the heater fully on and start engine and all the air will escape through the filler, as the level drops keep topping up the bottle with coolant until level stabilises and no more air bubbles escape.
2. Refit filler cap and run engine until the electric fan switches on.
3. when your happy there are no leaks. re-top up the bottle drive normally and check the coolant level a couple of days later.