ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion - whats needed?

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm just toying with the idea of doing an engine conversion from a 1.2 to a 1.6, i'm just wondering apart from the engine...what other parts would i need?

This might seem a daft question but in this area i'm no expert lol and i don't want to price everything up that i think to find i've left something.

Regards
Liam

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
By the time you will have finished, you probally would be able to buy a sport

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Its not worth the hassle and money m8. Buy an RS, you'll get much more enjoyment then messing about creating replicas. I had a 1.6 dynamique and spent nearly £3000 making it a 172 replica, then realised it would have been cheaper to just insure a real 172 lol. Plus you'll never be happy because you know in the back of your mind its only a replica :mad:

I've thought about that. Tbh unless the 1.6 is running ITBs etc and at 140/150bhp, like Hutchies, you're going to be far better off doing a 2.0 F4R conversion, or even buying a sport...
IMO.

i probably wont be the last to say this... lol

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I've thought about that. Tbh unless the 1.6 is running ITBs etc and at 140/150bhp, like Hutchies, you're going to be far better off doing a 2.0 F4R conversion, or even buying a sport...
IMO.

i probably wont be the last to say this... lol

That's what i was thinkin mate, i can't afford the insurance on a 2.0l so if i got a 1.6 engine in there and itb'd it up that'd be cheaper...

Nothing at the mo :(
That's what i was thinkin mate, i can't afford the insurance on a 2.0l so if i got a 1.6 engine in there and itb'd it up that'd be cheaper...

lol why would that be cheaper??

So your saying insure is RS is cheaper then fitting 3k TB? lol

172 Cup & Clio dci Van

stay with the 1.2 until you can afford to insure/buy etc a sport.

spening money on faffing around with a 1.6 will tbh be a waste, where as if you just save up for a while longer and build up a bit of ncb or get some more ncb... then you will be able to get a nice 2.0 sport that does and drives like a 2.0 rather than a bodged up conversion.

Good things come to those that wait mate.. :approve:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Flol mate theres a few of us on here who have done conversions etc, just the people saying dont bother etc etc ignore them, if its what you want to do then ye go ahead with it,

for the 1.6 best bet is to talk to hutchie, but i can say what you will need:

1.6 engine
1.6 gearbox
key/uch/decoder ring/ignition barrel/fuel cap/door locks (all from same car)
not sure if 1.2 shafts will fit but they fit the F4R engine perfectly, so i dont see why they wont fit 1.6,
exahust manifold
exhaust
starter motor
alternator
loom

Think thats it, alternator you could use from your 1.2

LY 182
engine, ALL ancileries (none are compatible) and gearbox..

engine loom, dash loom, then depending on spec of your car you may need door looms, rear interior loom, upper interior loom. (i did when doing mine)

you will need the ecu, uch and key from the donor vehicle
most importantly you will need the chassis number and reg from the donor vehicle (very important the ecu's are worthless without it)

and that will do you a basic conversion.. there will be loads of little bits and peices that dont quite match up pipes and etc

abs and steering will be an issue will need wiring seperately...

if you want a proper complete job,,, you need a whole donor car.

speaking from experiance, its not worth it

you WILL get bored of the small amount of extra power within hours