ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical Gremlin on Sequential Box

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Any thoughts on an unusual electrical fault on my Clio Rally car. Well unusual to me, might be something very simple.

Problem - Car is running a sequential box with custom built digital gear display.
The Sadev gear position switch and gear position display work on 5v supply. They are fed from a 12v to 5v converter.

Everything works fine until I turn on the interior fan. Then rather than having 5v feed out of the converter it is 12v out and in and of course the display stops working.

Tried a dedicated earth and 12v supply direct from battery in case their is a cross feed or bad earth - no luck.

Thought it might be an earth fault but everything seam ok and would expect more issues?

The loom is a stripped down standard loom, using same fuse box, loom came with shell so can't be 100% sure what's been done.

Any thoughts, guesses, testing ideas.

Thanks

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Done a bit more testing, even more confused.

Right with the internal fan switch off the 12v to 5v converter gives a 5v supply, with the fan switch off but fan itself unplugged it gives a 11v output. With the fan still unplugged but internal switch on any setting get 12v instead of 5v. Any suggestions??

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
hi Sam

Ran a supply direct from battery and a dedicated earth, and just the same, works with fan connected but not turned on, turn fan on (setting 1 ,2 or 3) and voltage jumps to 12v. If the fan is disconnected and then turned on jumps to 8v on setting 1 and 11v on 2 and 3 speed settings.

Cheers

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Hi, don't think I have measured this, will try to have a look tonight.

For the next event a roof vent is being installed.

Cheers

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
Hi Sam - tested voltage across battery and no noticeable voltage drop with or without switch on, plugged or unplugged motor.
Cheers

Grats

ClioSport Club Member
  Rally Car
All sorted I think, one of the fan actuator wires which are not used was cross to earth, so when fan on feeding back.

Thanks