ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eeek.. What the hell!... Whizzy Rubby Noise... Technical I know! ;)

Iceberg Ph1
Ok, well its been a while since I was stumped which issues on my Clio, after the past few months being a nightmare with my car, replaced a shed load of parts, no biggy, last week a new noise appeared, I originally thought it to be a rear bearing was on its way out, the noise was like a whiz or a rub noise, and increased in intensity when turning right, wheel had no play so I just assumed I caught the issue early.. Well today I jacked my car up to spin the wheels and check again for some movement but instead I found that my O/S Rear arch and damper has marks on them obviously from the tyre rubbing against them, when the car is on the ground the gap between my tyre wall and damper is just about enough to fit my finger in, where as on the opposite side I can pretty much wiggle a finger in the gap.. Any ideas as to what has happened here?

Car details: Standard suspension, standard Ph 1 172 wheels, correct tyre size and pressures, new dampers fitted about 18 months ago, no play what so ever in the rear wheels, and shaking the hell out of the rear wheels there is no overall movement side to side that I can physically induce..

The noise is always there, while travelling in straight lines but the noise gets a lot louder when bearing right at speed (bend in a motorway road, not a slow manoeuvre) and quiets down when bearing left, I'm a little stumped at this point and would greatly appreciate some advice on possible causes.

Cheers!

Edit: I would also like to note that after a 16 mile journey today I assumed that where it was rubbing there would be some heat build up due to the friction, but the inside of the tyre, the damper and arch liner was not as hot as I expected, in fact it was pretty cool to the touch..?

Piccy:

photo.jpg

Golf GTD Mk7
did you put the spacer back on when you changed the rear discs? saying that, if you've got a gap there when the car is on the ground it shouldn't touch when moving

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I had this, turned out to be royally f**ked wheel bearings. Plus some mongo had put the spacer on the wrong way around.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Doesn't mean the wheel bearings are fucked up already, may have not put the spacer back or not put it back the correct way around.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
That's what I thought with mine. As I said, turned out to be wheel bearings and the little spacers for the bearings were the wrong away around.

Iceberg Ph1
Cheers for the replies. I haven't done the rear discs yet. I'm still awaiting then to turn up so rules out the spacer. Like I said this only started happening just over a week ago so something decided to fail recently! As for loose plastic I did think the same but then it wouldn't be rubbing on the damper as they are in a fixed position. Plus the plasic is pretty much solid I couldn't move it. Thanks for the suggestions though. New discs/bearings etc coming so I shall see if that helps!