ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Educate me on 1*2 gearboxes

172 Cup
i was hoping someone in the know on these things could educate me on the gearbox diff circlip situation from what I know some boxes have a circip that can pop out and others have a bolt in plate is there any way of knowing without looking which one my car a 53 reg 172 cup would have and if it does have a circip is there anything to do in terms of driving style (I'm thinking especially track use) to try and minimise the risk of failure

172 Cup
172 cup box has the circlip, it wont last long if you give it some abuse, well mine didnt anyway. You can replace it with a plate that bolts on.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Only a problem on 172's iirc? Mine went on the old 172 shortly after I got it, had it replaced for an hours labour using a guide posted by Matt Black I think and never had a problem after, although I didn't do any wheel spins, but that's probably because I wasn't 17.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
JC5 130 has the circlip bolted in place, JC5 129 and lower don't, being a cup your car is more than likely a 129,
the 130's are also non speedo drive so if your box is a 129 speedo drive you can't swap it for a 130.

172 Cup
Thanks for all the replies I'll make sure I tame my inner chav and avoid wheel spinning out of McDonald's drive throughs