ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

eBay roll cages

As above. Any body got one ?

Was as going to make my own cage
( made cages before, I'm an engineer before any one starts :) )

but it see these on eBay pretty damn cheap. Just wondered what the fittment is like.

My cheers in advanced.

There not great from what I can tell, they bolt directly to the floor & rear arch with no spreader plates or additional foot plates welded in, and the main hoop is pretty thin.

I would say however that it would almost certainly help in a roll over situation, but I'd be tempted to make some spreader plates where it bolts in the rear foot wells, and they do look pretty good, however they are no where near the standard of Safety Devices, Momo, OMP etc etc...

Oh I'd deffinatly be putting in spreader plates.
Pointless other wise.

I I totally get that a safety devices will be better. But I can't warrant 500+ for a cage in a car that owes me 500 lol.

I know now you can't put a price on safety, but welded tube is pretty much welded tube for what I want.

RS6+ & 40d MSport X5
My cage went in pretty easily. Fitment was perfect I fitted spreader plates inside and out, too.

I only paid £70 for mine lol.

TFR

clio182
£70 wouldnt buy you a 1/8th of the tube required to make a proper cage, £70 cage would probably do you more harm!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If offered both I would sooner have a safety devices or similar, but those eBay ones do look reasonable at doing the job, Ive yet to see one tested though.

If I had to choose between crashing a clio with no cage, or the eBay cage I guess I would want the cage.

For a few hundred more though, better to get something proper and they hold their value reasonably at resale time anyway.

330i. E30 Touring.
I've got an eBay cage that came in the back of my Ph1.

Looks of reasonable quality tbh. Better than nothing

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Pretty sure they're in all Clios north of the border.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Bumping this - I keep seeing one made by "Alachi" on eBay.

Anyone had any experience of them?

http://www.alachi57.com/4.html

_wsb_409x297_016.JPG

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
They don't use CDS, so are just show cages. I wouldn't want to rely on one on a trackday. (and you wouldnt be allowed to on an MSA event).

Serious question - can you tell that from looking at it?

I'd be putting it in a track car, but it's for my own personal use. Doubt I'll go racing!

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I emailed them a while asking what they used. The use ERW as its cheap. for a reason. You can also tell by the dark seam along the tube length. ERW is made by rolling and welding it in to a tube. CDS is seamless, its drawn/formed in to a tube shape, so much stronger.
Chances are if you crash with that cage it will help a little, however, if the seam splits or the weld sheers, you could end up being speared by the item you were hoping would protect you!
For me I would rather have no cage than a sub standard one. MSA/FIA recommends CDS for a good reason!

Civic FN2 Track Car
Serious question - can you tell that from looking at it?

I'd be putting it in a track car, but it's for my own personal use. Doubt I'll go racing!

If you value your life at £150 then go for it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wouldn't touch one of them with a Barge pole.

Iirc, someone on here fitted one and bolted it straight to the tin floor with m10 nuts and bolts. I'd not want to be in that car if it rolled.

Civic FN2 Track Car
JP83 I'm very calm don't worry. It's just these eBay cages are poorly designed using substandard materials. If you want a rear cage only look at the Safety Devices products as that's a tired and tested product.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep

Iirc, someone on here fitted one and bolted it straight to the tin floor with m10 nuts and bolts. I'd not want to be in that car if it rolled.

Lol. I suspect it'd be like a steel girdle.

Also, some of what you will touch, worries me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

If he fitted it like that it would make no difference between being one of these or being a proper one TBH, thats the thing with a cage, installing it properly is at least as important as making it properly.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If he fitted it like that it would make no difference between being one of these or being a proper one TBH, thats the thing with a cage, installing it properly is at least as important as making it properly.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at mate.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I have one of the rear half cages made my alachi as mentioned on page 1, didn't buy through ebay though.
Working for a fabrication company the plan was to use it as a jig and create a full cage from scratch how I wanted it. The fitment of them is ok and came with spreader plates and correct tensile strenght bolts, the welding is probably as good as mine (I'm a design engineer, not a welder).
As mentioned they don't use CDS tube. The guy used to build stock car chasis, and worked with a formula2 team (iirc)
When I get the time/money it will be coming out - either for a self build or a Safety Devices cage

Westfield
I looked at these cages a while back when their was another thread going on and contacted the guy regarding his materials.

He doesn't use seamless tube which I was surprised about but he does seem to have a decent background in different forms of motorsport (hot rods) if you read his website.

At least he is not just some welder who randomly sells cages.

http://www.alachi57.com/7.html

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
182Matt - Loggyboy mentions that above. Honestly, not knowing my roll cages at all, i'm glad I asked on here first. Otherwise it could've been a costly mistake.

I'm sure the guy's work is good, but I'd like to know that in the event of a crash I wouldn't be speared by steel tubing not made for the job.