ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Duffman's (Dark) Chocolate Orange 172 (Long Running Project)

Chocolate Orange 172
So I have been on here for a little while now so thought it was about time I posted my car and the project I have planned for it. Originaly brought the car in October last year and so far I have not done very much to it. I ordered some wind deflectors for it (not to everyones taste I know) and fitted them almost immediately, but then Christmas came and the car took a back seat for a little while. The car was also suffering from (or what I thought was) a minor oil leak from the camshaft oil seals, so I purchased the genuine seals from Renault and a cambelt kit and got on with fixing the issue. Before I even started I realised that whoever had it before me had an issue at some point but rather than do things properly they had bodged it all back together so the repair took longer than I thought :mad:. Now it is fixed, Christmas is finally out the way and debts have been paid off I can now afford to start the project, here is how she looks at the minute:

P2190023.gif

P2190024.gif

P2190025.gif

P2190026.gif

P2190027.gif

P2190028.gif

P2190029.gif

P2190030.gif

P2190031.gif

P2190032.gif

P2190033.gif

P2190034.gif

P2190036.gif

P2190037.gif

P2190038.gif

There are a few things that I am not happy about with the car inside and out, the first thing is the rather large and low exhaust that was already fitted when I brought the car but will change it sooner rather than later. Also I noticed that the headlight washer jets are missing:

P2190041.gif

P2190042.gif

So purchased some new ones from Renault at a good price:

P2150007.gif

P2150008.gif

On the inside the first thing to go will be the rather grubby Ripspeed mats, I have purchased a set of Renaultsport mats from ebay so shall chuck them in when I recieve them through the post. Also the steering wheel will be refurbed as it has lost one thumb grip completely and has bad melting all over it.

I do have a set of these beauties waiting to be fitted:

P2190043.gif

Also on the to do list is a complete Vibe install thanks to my missus, she brought me a Vibe sub so I decided that as one of my mates was selling alot of his Vibe stuff I would go the whole 9 yards:

P2110001.gif

P2110002.gif

P2110003.gif

The Vibe speakers my mate very kindly sold me for £60:

P2110004.gif

P2110005.gif

P2110006.gif

Due to the size and weight of the speakers I ordered a stealth shelf from Car Audio Security who very kindly (had to pay for the pleasure) cut the holes to the correct size of the 6x9's and they fit like a glove (plus my cutting skills are not exactly great lol) :D:

P2150010.gif

P2150011.gif

That is about it at the minute, I do have alot more planned for her but trying to save up for a wedding at this point in time so progress will be a slow process but will update regulary. The reason I have called it Duffman's Chocolate Orange is because it's the colour combination I am going for, black and orange, I know chocolate is more brown than black but it's the best title I can come up with the the minute lol. I will be installing the sound system soon so will post pictures as and when, any idea's, comments or critisisms are welcome :)

clio 1.2 16v dynamiq
looks like there could be a good car there mate install could be good id lose the 6x9's though as when your sub kicks in the pressure on the back of the 6x9s will make them distort personaly now youv got them id see if you could custom mount them into the rear door cards, theres enough room youll just have to make some mounts for them to sit in.

lol the zoorst is big what was the old owner thinking haha wouldnt look as bad if it was recessed thats what id do if it sounds nice if not replace for somthing you like.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks good mate will be much better once that exhaust is gone. seen a few more Northampton members on here lately. Where did you take them pics?

Chocolate Orange 172
Car looks good mate will be much better once that exhaust is gone. seen a few more Northampton members on here lately. Where did you take them pics?

I took them at an industrial estate in Brixworth mate outside Northampton, plenty of places like that round our way!

Where abouts are you in Northampton?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Cool just in Harpole mate you might not of heard of it if you aren't local.

Yeah hard to know where to go get pics around here lol.

Chocolate Orange 172
I am in Holcot mate, the missus knows where Harpole is and I don't think it's far from us!

Are there any meets happening soon that you know of?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh cool its not far 15 mins probably.

Nope not that I know of mate when the spring comes I think a meet is in order as there's a few Northampton members on here now.

Chocolate Orange 172
Ahh cool its not far 15 mins probably.

Nope not that I know of mate when the spring comes I think a meet is in order as there's a few Northampton members on here now.

Not far at all then

Shall keep my eyes on the regionals then and watch for when one pops up!

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Now I know they are not to everyones taste but I do love the sound of a good old induction kit, so purchased one from a member on here as well as a orange Samco induction hose. Once I gave them a good scrub I left them to dry overnight then fitted them to my car today:

P2250044.gif

P2250045.gif

P2250046.gif

The old airbox already fitted to the car (going spare if anyone needs one):

P2260047.gif

The orange Samco hose, will also have orange coolant hoses to fit soon hopefully:

P2260048.gif

All fitted together nicely:

P2260049.gif

P2260050.gif

Took it out for a spin soon after, noise sounds epic but can't quite decide whether there is a bit of lag in the acceleration of it now. I do still have almost a full tank of fuel so I am going to reserve judgment on that until I get the levels down. Cheers for looking, another update comming soon :D

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Like that orange hose - could do with one on mine:)

Wouldnt get rid of the standard airbox just yet if i was you! they are quite good at what they do on these

BG 182 FF
looks nice mate get the sportlines on i have a set on mine, they are well worth it.

Good to see more northants members, keep it up buddy

Chocolate Orange 172
Like that orange hose - could do with one on mine:)

Wouldnt get rid of the standard airbox just yet if i was you! they are quite good at what they do on these

Makes a nice visual difference, will look even more at home when I have touched up the engine bay a bit more!

looks nice mate get the sportlines on i have a set on mine, they are well worth it.

Good to see more northants members, keep it up buddy

Cheers mate, I am planning to get them on ASAP just need to find the time and effort to do it lol

i'd fit all them speakers in your doors, ,lol

I have toyed with the idea to be honest lol, going to install them and see how they sound before making a final decision!

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Had an email from Mikey today to let me know my steering wheel had been refurbished and was ready to post. Sent me some pictures and I have to say it look's EMMENSE :D

d0fb4b15.gif

f34e633e.gif

99ddac0b.gif

a9512c9c.gif

Will put some more pictures up when I get it and installed it, big thanks to Mikey for doing the work, top man!! :cool:

renault clio cup 172
who done the refurbishment on ur steering wheel? thats a good job, I'm looking into getting mines done as its all melted and and have got a bit of the thumb grip missing.

Chocolate Orange 172
who done the refurbishment on ur steering wheel? thats a good job, I'm looking into getting mines done as its all melted and and have got a bit of the thumb grip missing.

MikeyK18 did it for me mate, just send him an email with what you want and he will tell you all you need to know :cool:

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Got home this afternoon, walked through the door and was greeted by this:

P3020052.gif

I was like a kid at christmas, and was more than happy when I unpacked all this :D:

P3020055.gif

P3020053.gif

P3020054.gif

As recommended by a member on here, I purchased the K-Tec Racing recessed exhaust system to replace the low and large back box I have installed at the moment. I have to say for the money you really do get an excellant system with everything you need to fit it perfectly!

P3020056.gif

P3020057.gif

P3020058.gif

I have a full week off next week so I am sure everyone can guess what I shall be doing lol! Special thanks to K-Tec Racing for all there help and expertise :D

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Been a busy boy the last few days, installed the sound system (shall add photos of that soon) and re-intalled the original airbox as the car felt a little sluggish with the K&N installed but feels alot better now! Today 2 mates and myself got round to changing the low, loud and blowing exhaust system for a shiny new K-Tec Recessed exhaust system. The old system had been welded together in MANY different places so we actually had to take and angle grinder to it to remove it, here is the old system removed:

P3060059.gif

P3060060.gif

And the shiny new one ready to go on:

P3060061.gif

P3060062.gif

Not very good step by step pictures so I do apologise, the middle section fitted:

P3060063.gif

P3060064.gif

And then the rear box (again sorry for the poor step by step pictures):

P3060065.gif

Then finally, after alot of cutting and sanding, we finally managed to the exhaust trim fitted and the bumper back on. Looks ALOT better then the previous exhaust and isn't too loud, very happy with the end result:

P3060071.gif

P3060070.gif

P3060072.gif

Will upload some more snaps tomorrow as I still have a few things to get done this week, all comments are welcome :D

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Got round to spraying the interior trims over the past 2 day's, started with gathering the tools together:

P3070080.gif

And then the spray paint, decided to go for Ford Electric Orange for this project:

P3070081.gif

P3070082.gif

I grabbed some trims off a car at work:

P3070073.gif

P3070074.gif

P3070075.gif

Then proceded with the task in hand:

P3070076.gif

P3070078.gif

P3070079.gif

I ordered a few decals off ebay and the airbag decal was one of them, so once the paint was dry and the smaller peice of trim was being laquered I popped on the decal:

P3080084.gif

P3080085.gif

Then laquered the final trim:

P3080089.gif

P3080089.gif

Small trim laquered:

P3080086.gif

P3080087.gif

Then all that was left was to pop them back in the car, pleased with the result:

P3080092.gif

P3080093.gif

P3080095.gif

P3080096.gif

P3080094.gif

Again all comments welcome

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Yes another update lol, had a week off this week so been busy finishing off some bits for the car. Recieved my retirmmed steering wheel on Wednesday and looks even better in the flesh, here are some snaps:

P3090098.gif

P3090099.gif

P3090101.gif

P3090100.gif

P3090102.gif

Continuing with the interior colour theme, I then sprayed the the bottom trim and got the missus to stick on the decal so it was straight and in the right place, primered:

P3090103.gif

Hit with Ford Electric Orange:

P3090108.gif

Then decal stuck on and laqured over to finish:

P3100116.gif

All that was left to do then was take off the old wheel and replace it with the new one:

P3110118.gif

The missing thumb grip and the melting:

P3110119.gif

P3110120.gif

The new retrimmed wheel:

P3110123.gif

P3110124.gif

P3110126.gif

P3110128.gif

So once that was in (improved the look of the interior MASSIVELY) I then moved on to fitting the door mirror covers that I had done at a bodyshop near where I work:

P3100112.gif

Out with the old:

P3110129.gif

P3110131.gif

In with the new:

P3110132.gif

P3110133.gif

I also resprayed the front diamond orange:

Before:

P3090106.gif

After:

P3100115.gif

P3100117.gif

And how it looks on the car:

P3110121.gif

P3110122.gif

With all the latest bits finally fitted, this is how it looks from the front now:

P3110134.gif

Happy with the result, got a few more parts to go on soon that are currently being sprayed so shall update again next weekend, cheers for looking, all comments welcome!

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Just a small one this time, finished re-spraying the trim inside the clocks this weekend the same colour as the other orange parts already inside. Here is how the clocks originally looked:

P3090104.gif

And the resprayed one finished and in the dash:

P3180107.gif

P3180105.gif

So as I said just a small one this time, had done the bullets aswell but paint bubbled and ran so I had to strip it back and start again. I am also finally getting the Eibach Sportlines fitted this week so shall post some more updated pictures next weekend. Again all comments welcome :D

Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Only another small one, finally got her lowered on Friday but I currently have no pictures as I have not had the chance to give her a clean but once I do I shall post some fresh pictures. But I did manage to finally get the bullets and the Renault steering wheel emblem done and on:

P3250111.gif

P3250112.gif

P3250113.gif

The Renault emblem back in the steering wheel:

P3250114.gif

P3250116.gif

And the bullets back on the car:

P3250122.gif

P3250121.gif

P3250123.gif

P3250119.gif

P3250120.gif

Happy with the result, shall find some time soon and give her a good clean and polish and add some updated pictures, all comments welcome :D

Mcaff

ClioSport Club Member
orange looks decent, i wouldnt do the wheels orange could possibly be a bit too much with all the rest of the orange you have.

think they would look better in grey or black! looking good though.

2014 Clio 200t edc
Looks great mate, love the orange bits. Don't forget your gearknob insert tho! May give colour coding a go on mine, but really don't fancy messing up!

Chocolate Orange 172
Looks great mate, love the orange bits. Don't forget your gearknob insert tho! May give colour coding a go on mine, but really don't fancy messing up!

Cheers mate, that is next on my list, watching some on ebay so when I get some spare cash I shall invest in the gear knob insert! Best thing to do mate is practice on something else first, follow guides on the internet or even Halfords, that's the guide I use and parts come out really good, practice makes perfect as they say :race:

PH1 172
I like the orange! i cant help but think though i would have stopped at just the dash inserts and s/w insert orange, the dials and diamond both on the s/w and front grill would look good black ;) but keep up the good work.!

Chocolate Orange 172
Cheers for all the feedback everyone, think it will just be the rear diamond and that will be the orange done! Might go for black wheels with an orange diamond as looking at it orange wheels also might be abit too much!

Shall have another update soon, got a few bits to sort out at the front to tidy it up abit so will post pics when I get round to it :cool:

Last edited:
  Chocolate Orange 172
UPDATE:

Took full advantage of some nice weather today and finally managed to get some shots of how she looks at the minute and the changes made since I first brought her, first pictures:

P2190028.gif

P2190027.gif

P2190026.gif

P2190025.gif

P2190032.gif

P2190034.gif

And the updates I have done are:

1. Changed the low, loud (and out of place) Scorpion back box for a Recessed K-Tec exhaust system.

2. Lowered on Eibach Sportlines

3. Vibe sub installed (decided against full sound system)

4. Dash inserts removed and resprayed Ford Electric Orange

5. Steering wheel retrimmed (thanks to Mikeyk18)

6. Instrument trim and steering wheel trim also resprayed Ford Electric Orange

7. Debadged rear complete with a legend decal (clio badge and rear diamond will be resprayed soon)

So only little changes but, for me personally have made a big difference! Here are the updated pictures, excuse some of the random photos but some good places came up on my travels:

IMG_0021.gif

IMG_0022.gif

IMG_0023.gif

IMG_0027.gif

IMG_0028.gif

IMG_0033.gif

IMG_0040.gif

IMG_0041.gif

IMG_0043.gif

IMG_0044.gif

IMG_0047.gif

IMG_0051.gif

IMG_0052.gif

IMG_0053.gif

IMG_0054.gif

IMG_0037.gif

IMG_0039.gif

So that's it for the minute, I have got alot more work to do and alot of other things planned such as a complete refurb on the front headlights, a genuine Renault front splitter which I prefer over a fabia and various other parts. Shall keep the thread updated, as always all comments welcome.

Last edited: