ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DS2500 crumbling....

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
So kiddies

decided to put on some new front discs and just reuse my current DS2500's untill I removed them and discovered one pad in what looks like a terrible state..

4FAE0945-30EF-410F-BD3F-639202C8049E_zpszltfkmeu.jpg

Anybody come across this before on just a single pad? Other ones look a lot more intact around the edges and less like there about to fall to pieces!

i presume this is now dead and not re-useable?

Clio 182 FF
I've had this before with ds2500 on an old car. I put it down to hard track use or stick caliper. The majority of the pad is still intact in your case so reuse i say just keep your eye on it.

172 Track Car
Our brake pads end up like that quite a lot, we just monitor them and run them on. It takes very little time to check front brake pads so we do it between most track days and give them a squint through the caliper every time we change wheels.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Did you file the paint from the ends of the pad backing plate?

These pads need filing so they have room to expand when hot and don't get wedged in tight. The metal shims aren't needed in the pad carrier either

They need 1mm of vertical movement to help prevent any binding issues , which may have been the case here mate. The pads may have been touching the discs even when not being applied/pressed

Are the calipers working as should and not sticking, if its just happening on one side

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Did you file the paint from the ends of the pad backing plate?

These pads need filing so they have room to expand when hot and don't get wedged in tight. The metal shims aren't needed in the pad carrier either

They need 1mm of vertical movement to help prevent any binding issues , which may have been the case here mate. The pads may have been touching the discs even when not being applied/pressed

Are the calipers working as should and not sticking, if its just happening on one side

Ye the pads have plenty of free movement George and all the shims are removed the calipers were painted and lubed up not to long ago, the cars only done one track day since then.

its just weird in my opinion that it's one pad out of four, the other pad from the same caliper is in reasonable condition and showing no signs of deteriorating like this one, I'm concerned about re-using this pad as it seems to have ingressed into the pad and is just crumbling/rusting away.