ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DS2500 & Brembo HC discs - Lack of bite ?

Clio 182
Hi guys, I have a Trophy and I've recently replaced the front disks Brembo HD disks with DS2500 pads. The pads did not fit but I've filed down the ends until they fit snuggly into the carriers. I've seen someone advise the carrier should be removed but as my car is a road car not a track car (for the most part) I wanted to try and keep the pads well secure. My rear disks and pads are also to be replaced for the same kit along with a bleed but thats for another day.

The problem I have is lack of bite. The stopping force does seem ok from speed and it does improve with some heat in. However when cold trundling around town I could not for example lock the brakes with a stamp. The setup has about 300 miles on it and the disk faces are all wearing well. The pedal feel is firm.

I am wondering if I should have filed off more of the pad or perhaps removed the carrier. However it might just be that the setup is not ideal until well warmed up.

Can anyone advise as I'm considering pulling the pads and putting something else in there for road work but would really prefer not to. Its crap weather near me so I really can't do too much testing so just wanted to know if what I'm getting is normal.

Many thanks

Mental 172 Cup
They are a 'race' style pad, they aren't really designed to be used at cold operating temperatures.. Hence why the braking effort is poor. Once you have heat in them they will be fine.. That's all it is probably..

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine (identical setup) are horrific when cold.

I've learnt to adjust my driving as a result of having had some brown-pant moments.

Audi A5
I'm using this set up and I don't think their bad atall from cold start, the 2500's really don't seem as aggressive as some people make out, next time ill be trying the 3000's or carbon Lorraine.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
From my experience the 2500's aren't known for there bite from cold despite being a mild performance compound. That tends to come part & parcel with performance pads tho as it's a harder compound & requires higher operating temperatures.

Last edited:
  172 Rally Car
I personally think it's a mith that this level of pad don't work from cold, they should be just as good as standard)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I found when running these that they did lack as sharp an initial bite as standard pads would give you. Have you run the, through any heat cycles? Got any pad material on the disc surface?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
I'd probably bring forward your plans of bleeding the system, 2500 are ok from cold but very different once warm.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It's probably because you haven't bedded them in properly. I always used DS2500 on my 172 and have them on my R26 now, I've never had any issues with the pads biting from cold. First time I used my brakes a few weeks ago was to slam on to avoid hitting a car pulling out in front of me so I know they can bite.

To bed mine in when new I brake from 40 to 20mph about 10 times using light/medium braking and gently building up speed between each one so they have time to cool. Then do same from 60 to 30mph and finally 80 to 40mph while gradually braking harder.

To bed mine in when new I brake from 40 to 20mph about 10 times using light/medium braking and gently building up speed between each one so they have time to cool. Then do same from 60 to 30mph and finally 80 to 40mph while gradually braking harder.

What this man said.

Funnily enough Tim I did the exact same thing bedding my mates VXR brakes in around Hook business park about a month ago :p

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Just drive up the road with your left foot gently on the brake pedal, sorted.

+1 . Thats what i always do for the first few days , gentle breaking with my left foot while still on the gas pedal . It always seems to bed them in nicely :D Plus i always run a bit of new fluid through whilst the wheels are off , just to get out any air that might have built up in the system .

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
It's probably because you haven't bedded them in properly. I always used DS2500 on my 172 and have them on my R26 now, I've never had any issues with the pads biting from cold. First time I used my brakes a few weeks ago was to slam on to avoid hitting a car pulling out in front of me so I know they can bite.

+1

Did you follow the bedding in instructions in box mate?

Clio 182
I actually did that to a lesser extent already as I'm used to bedding in race pads on a bike. Good news is I went out today with my wife and son and the pads seem to be working fine. I couldn't really work them hard obviously but they performed fine from cold. A bit noisy but that's fine.

I guess they needed a few more miles and heat cycles.

I had no idea there were instructions!

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Good to hear , like you say just needed a few more miles on them.

Yes they have instructions similar to what TimR26 described above.

Clio 182
Thanks for the advice everyone. Can I confirm the shims that need removing are BOTH of the ones highlighted? The reason I ask is the bottom ones which look like 'pad spacers' were not present on my setup so were obviously not fitted. The smaller ones that go on the ends of the pads are on there.

I imagine the 'pad spacers' might cause binding but the smaller ones may not? If they both have to go then I'll get to it. I'm replacing the rear disks and pads this evening.

DSCF0378-1.jpg