ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving without M.O.T/Tax...

1eight2
I've returned from holiday today with the greeting that my Tax,Insurance and MOT was due.

Sorted insurance out prior to going so thats fine. MOT was due at 9am this morning and its failed on a few things!

The tester has informed me on what its failed on and said the earliest he could rectify and retest would be tomorrow. I need my car to get home tonight so legally how would I stand if I got pulled over with no Tax/MOT?

Thanks in advance.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've returned from holiday today with the greeting that my Tax,Insurance and MOT was due.

Sorted insurance out prior to going so thats fine. MOT was due at 9am this morning and its failed on a few things!

The tester has informed me on what its failed on and said the earliest he could rectify and retest would be tomorrow. I need my car to get home tonight so legally how would I stand if I got pulled over with no Tax/MOT?

Thanks in advance.

Screwed mate. You are only covered by insurance on the way to an MOT Station...(the idea is that you will get your MOT and therefore be fine to go home!)

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
IIRC, you are allowed to drive only to and from the test centre. I'm not 100% on that though.

I didn't think that you would be covered driving away if it failed...as technically its not fit to be on the road (passing minimum standard)

EDIT

I am wrong

[h=2]If your current MOT has expired[/h]The law is quite clear: you MUST have an MOT. Without it your insurance is void and you’re breaking the law.
So say, for example, your MOT runs out on 30 November and you’ve got a test booked for that same day.
If your vehicle fails and you need to wait a day or two to get repairs then you shouldn’t be driving the car.
Although the law states that in this instance you can take the vehicle to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance or bring it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair.
But otherwise, driving around between test and repair is an offence.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Thanks for that, I guess the only option is take the bus home or take it to another garage

Drive it home...then its booked in for MOT tomorrow, so drive it to the test centre well in advance ;) So you're covered. :)

Just don't use it in between

E46 M3, Clio 182
If you got pulled taking it home you could say your taking it back to do the work yoursel? ;)

But if i was you i would take the safe option! (bus)

renault clio 182
I was in similar postion before no tax and mot and got pulled by the police but they let me off as had proof it was booked in for mot the next day and was driving it too the garage too leave that night and you can't tax a car without a mot so he let me go but think it will just depend how kind the police are I suppose

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
You are allowed to drive it home as stated. but it depends on what it is if your still legal. Eg bald tyres .

Clio RS200

Not being rude but you must have known these things were due before going away?

I know exactly when my MOT, Tax and Insurance are due and that's without looking at the paperwork.

Perhaps this is a lesson so be more on the ball with things as important as these..

107 Track Car & C4
Not being rude but you must have known these things were due before going away?

I know exactly when my MOT, Tax and Insurance are due and that's without looking at the paperwork.

Perhaps this is a lesson so be more on the ball with things as important as these..

+1