ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving till my tanks empty

Titanium 182
Its not going to break it tbf, go for it but keep a can of petrol in the boot while you do it ;)

Clio 200
wouldnt do it personally, will end up dragging any crap you have at the bottom of the fuel tank through the system and cn cause some nasty problems

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
fuel filter will get clogged quicker, but not for years unless you're doing it all the time

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
ok how bigs the tank, as when i filled up from light on last time only put 40.3 ltrs in.

Titanium 182
bear in mind theres hardly going to be any "bits" in your fuel tank the only stuff that could get in is petrol and anything on the nozzle of the petrrol pump. Plus the tanks arent like they used to be with bits of metal and crap floating in them, arent the clio tanks plastic or plastic coated or something anyway ?

Clio 200
bear in mind theres hardly going to be any "bits" in your fuel tank the only stuff that could get in is petrol and anything on the nozzle of the petrrol pump. Plus the tanks arent like they used to be with bits of metal and crap floating in them, arent the clio tanks plastic or plastic coated or something anyway ?

would surprise you mate, got a claim in work for a 2007 clio dci who let it run down to empty but it dragged all sorts of crap through the system at a cost of £3200 from renault to be repaired. they were trying to blame the fuel they bought but it was actually the fact that they let it run out of diesel

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I thought all clio tanks were 50L but mine only seems to be about 41/42L roughly 9 gallons. When my light comes on, I fill up with about 40L as well.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I thought all clio tanks were 50L but mine only seems to be about 41/42L roughly 9 gallons. When my light comes on, I fill up with about 40L as well.

So should in theory be able to do another 60 miles?

182-racing-blue

Dont you look at your fuel computer? When you are getting low it usually displays 30 - 35 miles when the light comes on, then after that its dashes on the display and a good idea to fill up. By all means run it out once as it wont do it any harm, as you run your car lower and lower on petrol and as the remaining petrol is sloshing around the fuel tank, there will be moments where there is no petrol actually reaching the fuel pump. As a result of this, the fuel pump will be running dry every so often. Though this isn't at first continuous, this does do it damage. Especially as fuel pumps actually heat up as they run dry so when you do finally run out of petrol, you'll be significantly reducing the life of your fuel pump. If you have an old fashioned turbocharged engine, a sudden lean mixture may detonate and blow a headgasket or shatter a piston. This is why race cars run with secondary fuel tanks or a fuel cell that won't slosh fuel around the tank and cause intermittent feed to the fuel line. Damage can only be expected from highly tuned and precision made engines.

For a diesel engine, the fuel lines must be bled because air bubbles will cause knock and detonation in the engine. The air to fuel mixture for a diesel demands more precision because it has no spark plugs.

Anyway, I wouldn't do it cos I keepmy tank at least 1/4 full all the time.

330Ci (Fail)Sport

So should in theory be able to do another 60 miles?

If it is a 50L tank. I've had my red light on for a while once, just to see how many miles I could scrape out of the tank and when I filled up, I think it took around 41-42L iirc, and I brimmed it up to the nozzle.

I norm fill up when the needle is in the red but the light is not on and I get about 39L in it.

Don't want to run the risk of an emergency or whatever and no petrol.

RB 200 Cup!
ive unfortunately done it with my 1.6 and my first 172 - both ran out of petrol - just put some more in and waited couple of mins - never any problems

Doesn't the fuel come from the bottom of the tank anyway? I thought the pipe from the tank was situated at the lowest point?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Doesn't the fuel come from the bottom of the tank anyway? I thought the pipe from the tank was situated at the lowest point?

Would renault makes things so easy??

I don't know if they do or not :eek:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I drove from Uxbridge to Oxford yesterday on empty and the red light came on about 1/2 way up the M40. No ill effect on my car and I managed a Total of 346miles on £60 worth of Tescos finest 99ron so was pretty happy.

Lionel Richie
crap can't be dragged through the system, the pick up point is in THE BOTTOM of the tank anyway where "any crap" as you all put it would be

there's a fuel filter on the end of the pickup

Ph1 172 + Combo van
diesel:nono: , petrol will be fine just fill it up and leave the ignition on for a min before starting. once you have runit empty then fill it up and tell us how many litres it takes

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
they used to say that going to the bottom of the tank means that sediment then goes through the filter and can damage the fuel filter.... how accurate this is i don't know... but its clearly better to fill up when the fuel light first comes on than take it to empty!

SQ5
My fuel light comes on depending on how hard I'm driving and works it out from the MPG I think?!

Valvers used to have a separate reserve tank for some reason (as do R5 GTT) which activated once the light had come on. I don't know why they did, anyone else?!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Id maybe recommend putting in an additive along with petrol when it does eventually cut out thus meaning itll clean the injectors and so on when you do fill it back up.

although in saying that i dont fancy trying it anyway especially if your on a dual carrigeway with no where to stop?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thats not always the case. Have a gander at a site like pheads, plenty of stories of people running till dry, and probs surfacing soon after. It could cause problems, end of the day, is it worth the risk?