ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving a missfiring car

182 FF
My 182 is missfiring and i can't get the parts until 6th however i need the car between now and then.
Can driving it cause any damage to the car? I've changed the plugs and the coil pack so its looking like a lead which is the problem.
Obviously i don't want to nacker it.
My fiance will be driving the car to work because she does the lesser miles out of the 2 of us. she'll be doing between 3 and 4 miles each way.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A misfie can ruin your cat, they cost £300 ish to replace.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Is that right?? I thought they were £300. How much are they then?!

172 cup
is it constantly missfiring or just under load? If constantly on the same cylinder would that not take its toll on the rings? As you would get bore wash. . . .

But deffinatly cat is a worry, there not cheap too

182 FF
Sorry, yeh its only missing under load not at idle. How likely is it to take the cat out? Would keeping it at low revs help the cat at all? I'm thinkin pay for r lass to get a taxi to work

Clio 200 Cup
I drove my 172 about 30 miles to a renault dealership with a misfire on No.4 cylinder (dead coil pack) Didn't do any harm, and the odd thing was that No.4 spark plug wasnt wet with fuel, which made me think that maybe the ecu knew which cylinder wasnt firing and shut the fuel injector down. The fault code reader read something like "DESTRUCTIVE MISFIRE - No.4 CYLINDER"

I wouldn't drive it tho - it'd be cheaper to get a hire car for a few days than risk breaking something.