ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshafts ....All the same?

derv biege barge
Hi I need a new passenger side driveshaft for my clio 182 ff.

I have the chance of one within 25 miles of me just wanted to know before I go take a look at it are all 172/182 driveshafts the same part?

The shaft local to me is off a 172 and has the ABS ring fitted to the outer cv joint. Physically it looks the same as the one on my 182.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

derv biege barge
I will leave the second hand 172 one then.

K-Tec have genuine Renault new ones for £147 so will probably go for that unless anybody knows of anything cheaper?

Must be genuine Renault part, I will try Renault in the morning to see what their prices are.

Thanks for all the help so far though.

Blk/Gold 182 FF
If your wanting to try Renault then PM or phone Wests Renault on here and speak to Colin. I just replaced both mine and thats where I got them from!

just a quick question, did you replace yours due to a fault? if so, what sort of symptoms did you notice? im not sure if one of my drive shafts is starting to go.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
From the 182 cup and 172 ones I had side by side recently, it would appear the only difference is in the ABS ring, so you should be able to just swap the CV joints between the two, but it depends on why you are replacing them cause obviously if yours has a knackered outer CV joint then that wont be much use to you.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
just a quick question, did you replace yours due to a fault? if so, what sort of symptoms did you notice? im not sure if one of my drive shafts is starting to go.
Abs ring on the drivers side was cracked which caused the abs to randomly kick in at low speeds and the CV joint on the passenger side was knackered and was knocking a lot so just decided to replace them both. Could of just stuck a new ring on the drivers side but decided just to replace it anyways as the CV boot had come of the month before as well!

derv biege barge
I'm replacing mine cos the outer joint is rattling over bumps, has quite a bit of play in it too. I know this cos I changed the boot 3 times over the last 2 years. Deffo knackered. Keeps eating boots.

Has anyone bought a driveshaft from K-tec and were there any problems to note?

Renault want £245 for one whereas K-tec want £147. They claim to be genuine parts, just wondered are they refurbed or something cos £100 price difference.

Busy day yesterday took my little one to Peppa pig world, I will give K-tec a ring later if I get chance.

Lionel Richie
They will be "new" refurbs called service exchange at that price call 01902 439264 ask to speak to Adam and order direct from there, cheapest you'l find

derv biege barge
Thanks for info fred & martin182, unfortunately I read your comments after paying Renparts for a second hand one £60 delivered.

Has anyone used Renparts before and what are your thoughts on the experience. They seemed very friendly on the phone & cos they are on here I thought I would give them a chance @ £60.

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
I just got drivers side from Renault dealer for £151 for my 182.
Worked out couple quid cheaper than ktec, picked up locally whereas with ktec there is £30 surcharge which you only get back after posting your old one back to them which obviously costs a fair amount posting it back so ends up even more expensive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mike from MWM uses them (renparts) quite often and they always send stuff out quickly and are friendly but they arent great at what bits actually fit what car, like today I know he received a pair of 172 cup wishbones that he requested but one of them is a standard ph1/2 one and the other appears to be a 182 cup one, certainly NEITHER of them are 172 cup ones cause Ive seen a picture of them.

So I think they are ok for run of the mill stuff, but probably a bit of a lottery for stuff like shafts and wishbones etc.

derv biege barge
I just took fred & martins advice and spoke to adam. Now Renparts order is cancelled and I'm about to order one from adam.

Based on my experience I think I will be contacting Adam everytime I need a part in the near future.

Fred you are a legend. I want you to do my timing belt when I got the money together, there will also be a few extra drinks in it for you after such sound advice. you may remember I spoke to you a couple of months ago when my brand new Renault rear shocks kept leaking, I got the Koni's in the end and they are superb No leaks and love the way the car now drives.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fred is great, I dont know him at all and yet he really helped me out over xmas when I needed some bits in a hurry and my normal supplier didnt have stock.

Really nice guy by all accounts :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Renparts recently sent me the wrong shaft, despite us confirming several times on the phone what car it was far.

It was about 15-20mm or so shorter.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Renparts recently sent me the wrong shaft, despite us confirming several times on the phone what car it was far.

It was about 15-20mm or so shorter.

Sounds like they sent you a phase 1 then, they are the shortest from what I have seen.
Seems to be the only difference between a cup 172 and a phase 1. Both single piece but the cup one is longer.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds right cos cup has wider front track so shafts would be too

The wider front track is caused by the wheels, the hubs are the same.

Its the front hubs sitting further forward to give more caster that leads to needing a longer shaft, although TBH if the car is lowered you dont need the longer shaft anyway IME and the phase 1 ones will work just fine.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
182 Cups run a completely different hub with a different bearing to other 182s and to 172s

Where does Adam work then? How much did he charge for the drive shaft? Isit new or reconned?

Wanted to ask this but had already paid for mine from Renault and had it fitted, was worried someone would give me bad news in that I'd spent way more than needed too!!
Had the garage fit mine, charged £30, thought that was cheap at least?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
30 quid is very cheap if they bothered to redo the tracking afterwards (it never sits exactly the same when unbolted and put back together) and still a fair price even if you take it somewhere else to track.

Only takes 15 mins or so to do, but you still cant expect a garage to book it in and do the work and raise an invoice etc for any less than what you paid.

www.renparts.co.uk
If anyone has an issues then people need to get in contact, we cannot resolve any issues if we don't know about them! We are here to help, and always at the end of the phone. Sometimes the issue you get is when we have cars in for breaking and people have fitted different parts in the past from other breakers. So when when getting put on the stock system they are down as what vehicle it has been removed from.
The driveshaft was definately the correct driveshaft for your 182, but it has been cancelled as requested.
Kat

I was going to buy used part but did think that the person before may not have bought genuine/correct parts so ended up buying new from Renault.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
It's worth checking which gearbox and shafts you actually have, not what should be on the car so I sympathise with Renparts. I ordered a new shaft from Renault and upon arrival I found out the box and shafts I had on the car were from a ph1.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It's worth checking which gearbox and shafts you actually have, not what should be on the car so I sympathise with Renparts. I ordered a new shaft from Renault and upon arrival I found out the box and shafts I had on the car were from a ph1.

box makes no difference to the shaft fitment

derv biege barge
I just want to state. I only cancelled renparts order because I got A new one for a very good price. No other reason.

Had I not had the offer of new one at that price, I would of happily had the one from renparts, but normally I only buy new parts for my car.

If you want to know how much ring Adam yourself. You won't regret it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
If anyone has an issues then people need to get in contact, we cannot resolve any issues if we don't know about them! We are here to help, and always at the end of the phone. Sometimes the issue you get is when we have cars in for breaking and people have fitted different parts in the past from other breakers. So when when getting put on the stock system they are down as what vehicle it has been removed from.
The driveshaft was definately the correct driveshaft for your 182, but it has been cancelled as requested.
Kat

The thing is, by the time we knew it was wrong, it was too late to do anything about it.

I'd already taken it all apart etc and then it didn't fit. The car had to be driven that evening so putting it all back together with the old part was the only option.

The shaft on the car was original, and the one supplied was much shorter so it wasn't correct, and whilst I know what you mean about the cars you have in being broken possibly having the wrong parts fitted, surely something as simple as driveshaft length could be checked before sending out, with say a tape measure?

I wasn't having a dig, was just warning people about not just ordering the correct refurb shaft from somewhere as opposed to using a breakers etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Kat

With regards to the "cup" wishbones I mentioned that you sent out the wrong ones last week, you only need to glance at them to know they arent the right part as they locate the balljoint at a totally different angle.

Would be far less hassle for customers if when they ask for cup parts you just asked them how to identify those specific cup parts if you dont know yourself, as it seems like a lot of the time you just assume all 172 and 172 cup bits are the same but there are actually quite a few bits with subtle differences.

www.renparts.co.uk
We apologise if there are any issues, if you get in contact we will rectify the issues as quickly & hassle free as possible for you. Kat